301 - 320 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
Day 2.5

Oh boy! I fits like a glove in my subfloor

Finish up the stack

Now attach the top baffle. More rain and lost daylight. Move operations indoors again

After all this work the [email protected] subwoofer better fit...

WOW! I could have went with a deeper 10" sub. But, I'm happy with my SD4 for now.

Refueled. Time for sanding.

All done sanding. Now what???

To be continued...

Ge0

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
I feel like I’m cheating on a test cause I know what’s next...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL! I did let the cat out of the bag didn't I?

Ge0

Reactions: oekundar

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
@Ge0 with all that wasted depth maybe a JL 10w6?
I will certainly consider other subs. However, the 10W6 is about an inch too deep. That and its price to performance ratio is rather low. Let's see what the SD4 can do 1st. It's an impressive sub ;)

Ge0

Reactions: oekundar

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
Reactions: Turb0Yoda

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
I have been in such a rush to get this sub enclosure done before cold weather sets in. I haven't had time to post. Anyway, nearing the end of this fabrication job. I sure hope this thing kicks as much a$$ as I designed it to.

Get supplies ready:

OK. Let's fiberglass the wooden shell with an outer layer of cloth that will wrap around it's strange contours. This is a twill cloth purchased from US Composites:

Staple it into place so it doesn't move around so much while applying resin:

Start dabbing in the resin

It took an hour and 32oz of resin to completely cover the first layer of this box. Now it's time to dry...

No, there is no problems with my butt. I learned this trick from Glassman a few years ago. Apply it liberally to your arms to close up pores. That way fibers don't get in. Also, apply it to your hands to make taking latex gloves on and off easy.

To be continued...

Ge0

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
Now for some cleanup work now that the resin has dried.

This sucker came in real handy when cleaning up the edges:

Sand down sharp edges so I can handle the enclosure without getting pricked or cut.

Glue in one last cross brace to add strength.

Now prepare to glass the inside of the enclosure. Here I chose a bi-axial material from US composites. This is a cloth with mat fibers sewn into it.

Cut up some workable sizes in advance so you don't need to screw with cutting while your hands are all sticky and gooey from resin.

I found using this glass dish to be priceless. Lay a piece of material in, fully saturate it, then lay it on your work piece. Trust me. This is MUCH better than trying to wet the cloth out inside the work piece. You will add a little more resin onto the cloth once you lay it in. But, since it is already saturated you don't need to work as hard. Make sure you are wearing rubber gloves. Working the cloth in place by hand is a must to get it to lay flat. Use your brush to tamp out any air bubbles.

First 16oz of resin laid

To be continued...

Ge0

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
More glassing and building up 4 layers:

All done laying fiberglass inside. Now take the cordless edge sander to knock down sharp edges inside the enclosure:

I decided to add Bondo Glass (short hair fibers) to the inside corners of the enclosure where the baffle meets the box. Just to further strengthen the bond. I also placed Bondo Glass over sections inside the enclosure where I cut out air bubbles and left pockets in the material.

I also added some dowel rods while I was at it to strengthen the baffle.

To be continued...

Ge0

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
Now time to apply a finish to the outside to make it look nice and smooth.

I decided to use Evercoat body fillers because they are supposed to be far easier to sand than good old Bondo. I started with a quart of Rage at first but soon ran out. So then I bought a gallon of Rage Ultra.

NOTE: Make sure you knead and squeeze the hardener tube prior to use. Otherwise when you go to apply hardener a bunch of liquid will ooze out. You need cream not liquid. I found this out the hard way. My first layer took 2 days to dry vs. 20 minutes.

Sand Sand sand.

Applying the first batch:

Sanded down the first pass. However, there are some places that need more material. A 2nd coat will be needed.

The ultra goes on thicker than the Rage. However, it is self leveling to a degree which will make sanding easier.

Sanding down the 2nd coat really made the enclosure take shape and feel smooth. Note, I sanded the corners by hand to make sure my power sander did not remove too much material:

I forgot to take a photo. But, I glued the top step baffle on after the first sanding pass. I then feathered it in on the second body filler application.

I could have called it quits here. But, there were a few voids that were bothering me. So, one simple 3rd pass of filler. It was getting dark and cold. So, I will need to wait until tomorrow morning to sand this and finish it off.

Next up. Apply glazing putty to any remaining pin holes then prime and paint.

To be continued...

Ge0

Reactions: dgage

·
1,745 Posts

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
Did you get the MW182's back from Erin?

I see he has done tests on them: Dyn Audio MW182 10-Inch Woofer Review
He has also tested the W800-NEO: Audio Development W800NEO Drive Unit Review

Wondering what your impressions are, regarding these two drivers, having had them both installed in your doors.
Do you have a preference of one over the other? Was either one noticabley better?
I did get my MW182's back from Erin and re-installed last week. I've been so focused on finishing this sub enclosure that I have not taken the time to do an "apples to apples" comparison.

The first thing I noticed is that I could cross the MW182's down to 60Hz and they could take that without strain at full power. OOOOOhhhh to they hammer out that kick drum. Now, to be fair I did not seriously listen to the AD W800Neo's below 80Hz.

I will do a better comparison once I have my sub installed and tuned. I love the AD W800Neo's but have a sneaking suspicion the MW182's are going to spank them...

Ge0

·
1,745 Posts
I current run my W800-NEO's at 60hz, but have had them down to 40hz (and they were fine there too... just needed a 42db crossover slope).
But I have a feeling those MW182's will still do a better job in the overall midbass department.

I've been considering getting a Porsche... that's why I'm asking.
I'm looking at a 911, but I don't want a subwoofer. Just want to do a 3-way stage. So, looking for a good midbass.
The 911 is a loud car to start with, so it would not be an SQ vehicle... but the stock Bose is crap. so is the Burmester.

I used to have an Audi SQ5... and your Macan build brings back memories. The Audi is put together almost exactly the same.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #315
I current run my W800-NEO's at 60hz, but have had them down to 40hz (and they were fine there too... just needed a 42db crossover slope).
But I have a feeling those MW182's will still do a better job in the overall midbass department.

I've been considering getting a Porsche... that's why I'm asking.
I'm looking at a 911, but I don't want a subwoofer. Just want to do a 3-way stage. So, looking for a good midbass.
The 911 is a loud car to start with, so it would not be an SQ vehicle... but the stock Bose is crap. so is the Burmester.

I used to have an Audi SQ5... and your Macan build brings back memories. The Audi is put together almost exactly the same.
I like the AD W800Neo's since they are super light and have a nice light / stiff cone. It's going to be tough.

I'm considering a 911 Carrera in the next couple of years. I've wanted one since I was a kid. I was thinking the same thing for the most part. Although, I've seen some good examples of adding a subwoofer in the car, soooo...

Porsche's with the Bose system can fit a 10" driver in the door. You probably wouldn't need a subwoofer if you weren't going for high SPL.

My Macan shares the base platform with the Q5. There are a lot of common parts. However, engine and suspension are entirely different. This thing gets down when I want tit to :).

Ge0

·
1,745 Posts
I love the Macan.
My Audi was the SQ5, which shares the same 3.0 litre engine as the Macan S. Except Audi used a supercharger, and Porsche uses a turbo.
The real advantage to the Macan is the PDK transmission. It kills the Audi tranny, and makes the vehicle perform the way it's supposed to.
Plus the Macan styling is much cooler... and Porsche fin & finish is second to none.

I'm considering a 911 Turbo S (new 992 when it comes out). But that will be a couple years down the road.
The 911 has a relatively small cabin. So, I'm thinking a decent set of 8's in the doors, plus a mid and tweeter, might do the job.
I'm a big Dynaudio fan, so I'd really like to do an MW182, Esotar 430, and an MW102. But I may (probably will) do a full Utopia M setup.
As mentioned; it's also a wicked loud car (inside the cabin) anyways... so I am not aiming to make it any kind of SQ vehicle.
Just want something better than the crappy Bose system...

Anyways, don't want to hijack your build log... keep posting, this is a good read!

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #317
I love the Macan.
My Audi was the SQ5, which shares the same 3.0 litre engine as the Macan S. Except Audi used a supercharger, and Porsche uses a turbo.
The real advantage to the Macan is the PDK transmission. It kills the Audi tranny, and makes the vehicle perform the way it's supposed to.
Plus the Macan styling is much cooler... and Porsche fin & finish is second to none.

I'm considering a 911 Turbo S (new 992 when it comes out). But that will be a couple years down the road.
The 911 has a relatively small cabin. So, I'm thinking a decent set of 8's in the doors, plus a mid and tweeter, might do the job.
I'm a big Dynaudio fan, so I'd really like to do an MW182, Esotar 430, and an MW102. But I may (probably will) do a full Utopia M setup.
As mentioned; it's also a wicked loud car (inside the cabin) anyways... so I am not aiming to make it any kind of SQ vehicle.

Anyways, don't want to hijack your build log... keep posting, this is a good read!
Don't worry man. You're not hi-jacking. Just talking shop :)

Ge0

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I love the Macan.

Have you driven the turbo S yet? It’s not as loud as you might think. Loud compared to an SQ5 yes but in comparison my Cayman is much louder in the car with the engine right behind your head and intake right behind your ear if the windows are down.

For my car I didn’t try to go big in the door Just because I knew I would be doing a sub but you can definitely get a solid 8 in there and maybe 10 if depth permits. The biggest problem for me was the tweeters but not sure the 911 has the same issue. The OEM tweeter mounts were very small so the MW102 had no chance of fitting. Had to do custom pods to get more room and also remain the tweeters so they are not pointed straight up at the windshield.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #319
I love the Macan.

Speaking of E430's. I am currently trying to hunt down 3 of them for my front stage. They come up for sale once in a while. Do you have any you're currently not using :)?

Ge0

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #320
Have you driven the turbo S yet? It’s not as loud as you might think. Loud compared to an SQ5 yes but in comparison my Cayman is much louder in the car with the engine right behind your head and intake right behind your ear if the windows are down.

For my car I didn’t try to go big in the door Just because I knew I would be doing a sub but you can definitely get a solid 8 in there and maybe 10 if depth permits. The biggest problem for me was the tweeters but not sure the 911 has the same issue. The OEM tweeter mounts were very small so the MW102 had no chance of fitting. Had to do custom pods to get more room and also remain the tweeters so they are not pointed straight up at the windshield.
Doesn't the Cayman have the typical Bose Done or Burmester AMT tweeter mount? If so, you can fit a MD102.

Ge0

301 - 320 of 372 Posts