DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

321 - 340 of 372 Posts

·
1,745 Posts
Have you driven the turbo S yet? It’s not as loud as you might think.
I've driven the 991 version of the Turbo S (plenty of times). Enough to know that it is not a quiet vehicle... at least not the way I drive it. Besides, I really enjoy the sound of the engine too. The turbo intakes right behind you sound like big vacuum cleaners!

My point is that; I'm not trying to make the 911 into an SQ car... at all. I have a BMW X6-M for that. I just want something in there, that is better than the crappy stock Bose system.

As for the tweeters; I was thinking something like this:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Doesn't the Cayman have the typical Bose Done or Burmester AMT tweeter mount? If so, you can fit a MD102.

Ge0
I don’t know if it’s the same size but it looks different than the 911 mount. When I pulled the OEM tweeter It looked really small and I was trying to mount Scan Be tweet so I had no chance

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
I've driven the 991 version of the Turbo S (plenty of times). Enough to know that it is not a quiet vehicle... at least not the way I drive it. Besides, I really enjoy the sound of the engine too. The turbo intakes right behind you sound like big vacuum cleaners!

My point is that; I'm not trying to make the 911 into an SQ car... at all. I have a BMW X6-M for that. I just want something in there, that is better than the crappy stock Bose system.

As for the tweeters; I was thinking something like this:
You can make your own cheaper. The model for the 3D print is freely available. Just source your own tweeters and find someone to print the housings for you.

Ge0

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
I don’t know if it’s the same size but it looks different than the 911 mount. When I pulled the OEM tweeter It looked really small and I was trying to mount Scan Be tweet so I had no chance
The tweet was probably a 38mm dome which is the standard and Bose size. The Scan Be tweet is 48mm. The question is does your car have the snap out bracket to hold a Burmester AMT tweeter. I would be surprised if it did not.

Ge0

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
The tweet was probably a 38mm dome which is the standard and Bose size. The Scan Be tweet is 48mm. The question is does your car have the snap out bracket to hold a Burmester AMT tweeter. I would be surprised if it did not.

Ge0
You're right it was about 38mm but it is not a removable bracket. The mount is part of the A/C vent and the tweet is held in with a spring clip. I ended up buying replacement A/C vents to use to form the new pods so I could keep the original ones if I needed to go back.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
Labor of love

For the life of me I can't figure out why I am applying body filler to a sub enclosure that will be hidden under the floor of my vehicle. I don't NEED to be perfect here:

Sanding sanding sanding sanding. Re-apply body filler. Sanding sanding... Well, you get the point.

Grab an energy drink. Time to lay down some primer:

Primer complete. Time to lay down the paint. This stuff is weird. It goes on and then gets darker as it dries:

Painting all done:

Yep, still fits

About 1/2" clearance between hatch cover and the top most part of the speaker baffle:

Just about 1-1/4" clearance between subwoofer cone and cargo area hatch cover. That should be enough space for the Sundown Audio SD4 to pound out the bass:

To be continued:

Ge0

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
Now lets finish this sucker up.

Add adhesive backed closed cell foam to the exterior of the box so it does not rattle and vibrate in the trunk:

CCF Decoupler 7 – 7mm CCF with Adhesive Backing – ResoNix Sound Solutions

Now add a carrying strap for when I need to remove the sub:

I double the strap material over itself so it could be stronger with a screw driven through it:

Use the proper size center punch to mark screw hole locations:

To be continued:

Ge0

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
Where was I?

Oh yeah, drilling big holes in sh!t.

Seal up the hole with silicon:

Seal the other side so wire is not vibrating against sharp fiberglass edges:

Now stuff the box lightly with some polyfill:

Wire up the sub. I used XT60 disconnects here because I might want to try a few different subs. This is the fast way to switch them out:

Use wire ferrules to make connection with the push terminals:

And there we go:

Just a few minor adjustments in fitment and we should be golden.

BTW: I ran a quick listening test before my sons baseball game tonight. Dang this little sub hammers.

Ge0

Reactions: dgage and diy.phil

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Where was I?

Oh yeah, drilling big holes in sh!t.

Seal up the hole with silicon:

Seal the other side so wire is not vibrating against sharp fiberglass edges:

Now stuff the box lightly with some polyfill:

Wire up the sub. I used XT60 disconnects here because I might want to try a few different subs. This is the fast way to switch them out:

Use wire ferrules to make connection with the push terminals:

And there we go:

Just a few minor adjustments in fitment and we should be golden.

BTW: I ran a quick listening test before my sons baseball game tonight. Dang this little sub hammers.

Ge0
Very nice. Curious if that Sundown will bounce that floor cover up and down.

BTW not sure if you’ve used that spare yet but blowing it up to full size is pretty cool. Just had to do it on the wife’s Cayenne.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
Very nice. Curious if that Sundown will bounce that floor cover up and down.

BTW not sure if you’ve used that spare yet but blowing it up to full size is pretty cool. Just had to do it on the wife’s Cayenne.
No, there is enough venting and decoupling with CCF where the sub does not bounce the floor cover around at all. As a matter of fact I hear no vibration sounds what so ever :). This has me rather pleased.

As far as the spare. No, I have not had to use it yet. It is just a safety net like car insurance.

Ge0

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
P.S. I can fit a 12". More later...

Ge0

Reactions: nyquistrate

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #332 (Edited)
Problem. My cargo lid does not close all the way because of this plastic handle that hits the top of the sub box when closed:

This leaves about a 1/4" gap when the hatch lid is closed. I could either modify the handle, or...

Raise the floor another 1/2"

Nothing like making a mess with your router outside just as the sun is setting.

Drill pilot holes and re-install in vehicle (refer to my earlier post to see how I installed these).

I now have an additional 2" of clearance under the cargo floor. I can fit a deeper sub if I want.

Cargo hatch now sits flat. The handle does not touch the sub enclosure any more. I even vacuumed out the truck for this photo :).

Ge0

Reactions: m3gunner

·
Registered
659 Posts
@Ge0 this looks awesome! I love the stealthy installs :)

Reactions: Ge0

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
Thanks guys. My main intention is to maintain use of my cargo hatch. Another must was to retain the spare tire. Too many flats in my life time with Michigan pot holes. I may end up doing an a-pillar, sail panel, and/or kick pod build. But, that won't be until next spring. That will distract from the stealth look slightly but not too much if executed right.

I'll try to eek out more performance from stock locations for now. Bit, I just don't feel I'll be able to go to the next stage of audio bliss with things the way they are.

The good news is I definitely have enough bass. For now. A friend has me thinking. With 2" of clearance above the spare tire I could probably fit a shallow 15 inside the spare tire if I flipped it upside down 🤔.

Ge0

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #337
Did you get the MW182's back from Erin?

I see he has done tests on them: Dyn Audio MW182 10-Inch Woofer Review
He has also tested the W800-NEO: Audio Development W800NEO Drive Unit Review

Wondering what your impressions are, regarding these two drivers, having had them both installed in your doors.
Do you have a preference of one over the other? Was either one noticabley better?
All I can say after one week evaluating the MW182's is I have a death grip on them. I love these for midbass duties. They make the hairs on my legs tingle as they pound out lower notes without any stress what so ever.

I had the AD W800Neo's installed for 2 weeks. Although they did nothing wrong (an excellent midbass BTW) they did nothing to really impress me like the MW182's. But then I really didn't push their limits...

Ughh. What to do? Stay content with what I have? Or tear my doors apart again to really push the W800Neo's?

What's your vote DIYMA?

Ge0

·
Registered
321 Posts
I say tear the door apart and try to do as close to an apples to apples comparison as possible. You have both speakers. It would be a shame not to evaluate each equally. I’ve been happy as hell with speakers and then changed them and then realized what I was missing. (Not sure this will happen, but just saying)

You could do some measurements with each speaker and post them to show us how they measure too. Would be interesting to see and to hear your thoughts on how they sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
This build makes me want to go explore if there is a similar space in my wife’s Cayenne but I don’t think she would want me tearing up her car :cautious:

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #340
This build makes me want to go explore if there is a similar space in my wife’s Cayenne but I don’t think she would want me tearing up her car :cautious:
Send her on vacation. What she doesn't know won't hurt her :)

Ge0

Reactions: oekundar
321 - 340 of 372 Posts