DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been through this with my own builds so I’m not going to make fun (k I snickerded

but if your on Facebook and are a member of the “automotive infinite baffle /aperiodic installs” page

check out the guys on there wanting to cut holes in the rear of their cabs and vent them through the spaces between the cab and bed.

one guy is about to do (3) 18s this way in a regular cab truck.

your in for
(A) an idea
(B) a good argument
(C) a good laugh

now tell me if I’m wrong but this isn’t going to work out well for them right?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
You can do this with a Single 12 or 15 but most 18s want more airspace than the entire cab so it ends up being a psuedo sealed enclosure that turns into a huge ported enclosure when they open one window. Great for Hair Trix, sux for actual sound. The blow through from the bed with a bandpass or ported enclosure can create enough pressure to blow the seals out if you don't have the doors closed tightly enough, trying to cram 3 x 18 pressure wave into a standard cab pickup is simply an exercise in excess. Seems like someone tried to do this with a Chrysler Minivan IIRC... 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: JohnL2001

·
Registered
128 Posts
I built an extended cab Ranger years ago with 3 18's. It had a cap on it. We cut through the cab and bed and had an enclosure bolted to the frame. The rear of the enclosure motorized open to use the bed and cap area as the enclosure for SQ and could be closed for SPL.

I think it took 2nd at IASCA finals and hit the 135db from the seat at 7 seconds in (7hz) on the competition CD. 163's in SPL mode. Not what I would have done in my own car but it did what it was built to do.

If that's what meets their goals its their ride, their dime and their hearing.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can do this with a Single 12 or 15 but most 18s want more airspace than the entire cab so it ends up being a psuedo sealed enclosure that turns into a huge ported enclosure when they open one window. Great for Hair Trix, sux for actual sound. The blow through from the bed with a bandpass or ported enclosure can create enough pressure to blow the seals out if you don't have the doors closed tightly enough, trying to cram 3 x 18 pressure wave into a standard cab pickup is simply an exercise in excess. Seems like someone tried to do this with a Chrysler Minivan IIRC... 🤪
Yessir I did

but out of necessity not because I wanted to lol

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I built an extended cab Ranger years ago with 3 18's. It had a cap on it. We cut through the cab and bed and had an enclosure bolted to the frame. The rear of the enclosure motorized open to use the bed and cap area as the enclosure for SQ and could be closed for SPL.

I think it took 2nd at IASCA finals and hit the 135db from the seat at 7 seconds in (7hz) on the competition CD. 163's in SPL mode. Not what I would have done in my own car but it did what it was built to do.

If that's what meets their goals its their ride, their dime and their hearing.
This is the issue, they believe this is sound quality.
Will it work? Absolutely! But at a certain point it’s a closed box firing into open atmosphere as I’ve been told here.
Not really infinite baffle.

the lower bass notes we’re looking for in an sq system from 18” subs won’treally be there and I’m having a time getting the point across to half of them

I thought about showing my work van spl change with the window rolling down but that’s too embarrassing 😳

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
at the end of the day yes the cabin raises the Q somewhat, but you will still get far more low end vs a sealed enclosure with decent sound quality also

it will act as a pressure vessel with a small single cab, standing waves will be way above the freqs the sub will play
At the end of the day it’s a way to get big bass in a small space, will it be perfect like an extended cab or estate car with a true Ib like my car? Nah, but the argument against doing it is ‘it won’t work’

it will, will it have textbook rise, no…

but saying it won’t work is like saying a sub made for 1.5cu ft sealed won’t work in 1cu ft

the stuff about standing waves is the same as in a sub box and using damping wool To reduce them… if a driver is to play to 1500hz then I get it as those are real freqs where standing waves can occur… but sub 80hz it’s not going to be an issue

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
at the end of the day yes the cabin raises the Q somewhat, but you will still get far more low end vs a sealed enclosure with decent sound quality also

it will act as a pressure vessel with a small single cab, standing waves will be way above the freqs the sub will play
At the end of the day it’s a way to get big bass in a small space, will it be perfect like an extended cab or estate car with a true Ib like my car? Nah, but the argument against doing it is ‘it won’t work’

it will, will it have textbook rise, no…

but saying it won’t work is like saying a sub made for 1.5cu ft sealed won’t work in 1cu ft

the stuff about standing waves is the same as in a sub box and using damping wool To reduce them… if a driver is to play to 1500hz then I get it as those are real freqs where standing waves can occur… but sub 80hz it’s not going to be an issue
Yeah mine sounds more balanced and controlled with the windows up but the low end suffers from what it could be so I dunno about agreeing with this entire statement

windows down its a wind machine 😂 and 40hz spl doubles

if that’s what they’re after they will get it but I have the equivalent of an extended cab trucks worth of space in mine while others in a single cab will have less…..so I predict this phenomenon to be even worse.
I dunno if I would want that in a build where I purposely did it when I could have cut the bed or went down a different avenue especially when I’m already cutting the cab.

let them cut away and find out I guess. I wouldn’t but it’s subjective as always.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Yeah mine sounds more balanced and controlled with the windows up but the low end suffers from what it could be so I dunno about agreeing with this entire statement

windows down its a wind machine 😂 and 40hz spl doubles

if that’s what they’re after they will get it but I have the equivalent of an extended cab trucks worth of space in mine while others in a single cab will have less…..so I predict this phenomenon to be even worse.
I dunno if I would want that in a build where I purposely did it when I could have cut the bed or went down a different avenue especially when I’m already cutting the cab.

let them cut away and find out I guess. I wouldn’t but it’s subjective as always.
Yeah it will be more peaky sealed up, but some people just want loud and in your face… I think sometimes we forget that not everyone wants subsonics and 40-60hz is awesome for taking someone’s breathe away, some people love peaky ported enclosures

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah it will be more peaky sealed up, but some people just want loud and in your face… I think sometimes we forget that not everyone wants subsonics and 40-60hz is awesome for taking someone’s breathe away, some people love peaky ported enclosures
It may just be me, but I didn’t really feel a peak and if there was one it was around the same 40hz frequency just not as loud so….. maybe it’s just my build.

every frequency is attenuated windows up

i just don’t see the point. But tastes differ! Subjective is the name of the game.

·
Registered
350 Posts
This is the issue, they believe this is sound quality.
Will it work? Absolutely! But at a certain point it’s a closed box firing into open atmosphere as I’ve been told here.
Not really infinite baffle.

the lower bass notes we’re looking for in an sq system from 18” subs won’treally be there and I’m having a time getting the point across to half of them

I thought about showing my work van spl change with the window rolling down but that’s too embarrassing 😳
Honestly, I have a hard time believing anyone trying to run 3 18s in a car actually cares about SQ. Even if it works perfectly, that just seems like way too much bass outside of a home theatre.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honestly, I have a hard time believing anyone trying to run 3 18s in a car actually cares about SQ. Even if it works perfectly, that just seems like way too much bass outside of a home theatre.
This is very true!
I think it has turned into a trend and they have no idea why !

edit: then again I run 2, and all I plan to do with them when I finish is just BARELY have them playing unless I am “doing cool hair trix “

my midbass sound fine to me without the subs

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Should we not just be happy for them that they found the greatness of IB, even if they have not learned the correct way? I remember this audio snob named Dan back in the day. Had I listened to his snobbery back then, I would have been turned off to SQ. I identified his nose up bs and had fun at the level I was at in car audio back then. Now I embrace the various levels that people enjoy this hobby.

I am just glad that the hobby lives on! Let's not be Dan's here. (A form of Karen)

·
Registered
353 Posts
As someone who has just purchased 2 IB 18s.......I'd like to show folks that both are possible. Depending on the music you listen to, you will need the low end extension that those subs will provide. I had the first opportunity to listen to pipe organ music with a 16 hz note this past weekend on a 24.....it was sublime. I won't be able to get my system to play as effortless and clean as that one, nor do I see myself cruising to the fly sounds of the pipe organ very often...but I'm willing to try whatever it takes to have a system that will give me that option. 12s ain't gonna cut it.....15s are closer but I'm running small motor 15s now and I'm wanting for more. I applaud this madman for going for it....and I hope he achieves SQ while also being able to squeeze the juice from an orange with the pressure from time to time as well.

Reactions: JohnL2001

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
As someone who has just purchased 2 IB 18s.......I'd like to show folks that both are possible. Depending on the music you listen to, you will need the low end extension that those subs will provide. I had the first opportunity to listen to pipe organ music with a 16 hz note this past weekend on a 24.....it was sublime. I won't be able to get my system to play as effortless and clean as that one, nor do I see myself cruising to the fly sounds of the pipe organ very often...but I'm willing to try whatever it takes to have a system that will give me that option. 12s ain't gonna cut it.....15s are closer but I'm running small motor 15s now and I'm wanting for more. I applaud this madman for going for it....and I hope he achieves SQ while also being able to squeeze the juice from an orange with the pressure from time to time as well.
I could happily have two more fifteens in true IB and make them Sq, no one says they have to be balls out loud all the time 👍🏼 But it sure is fun when you can turn them up and demo as well as play an orchestra

As with everything Sq it’s all about levels and how you tune 😎

·
Registered
427 Posts
This thread has come at a very appropriate time. I have a 1969 Chevy C10 that I was planning on doing a blow through. I was initally planning on doing a ib 18 and running the "manifold" into the cab.

I currently have a 15" Gti that I could use and if the consensus is that an 18" won't work then that would save me some money.

The front stage will be JL ZR800's running ib on the kicks. Morel MM3 and Piccolo's in pods on the dash.

I also have a pair of GB12'S or Kicker CompQ10's at my disposal that I could do a blow through with.

Which substage would you reccomend that I move forward with?

·
Registered
353 Posts
This thread has come at a very appropriate time. I have a 1969 Chevy C10 that I was planning on doing a blow through. I was initally planning on doing a ib 18 and running the "manifold" into the cab.

I currently have a 15" Gti that I could use and if the conscience is that an 18" won't work then that would save me some money.

The front stage will be JL ZR800's running ib on the kicks. Morel MM3 and Piccolo's in pods on the dash.

I also have a pair of GB12'S or Kicker CompQ10's at my disposal that I could do a blow through with.

That setup sounds fantastic already on paper. if you want to save some money...stick with the 15" GTi. Imo

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Should we not just be happy for them that they found the greatness of IB, even if they have not learned the correct way? I remember this audio snob named Dan back in the day. Had I listened to his snobbery back then, I would have been turned off to SQ. I identified his nose up bs and had fun at the level I was at in car audio back then. Now I embrace the various levels that people enjoy this hobby.

I am just glad that the hobby lives on! Let's not be Dan's here. (A form of Karen)
Yes you have a point agreed

but then again every time I’ve seen anyone come on this forum with an idea that doesn’t conform

it shut down immediately with hateful comments

so,,,,,

I have no true filter, it comes and goes, my bad.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I most certainly cannot disagree with this
Btw I gotta check out some of this organ music 😂

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)

I currently have a 15" Gti that I could use and if the consensus is that an 18" won't work then that would save me some money.

The closer in the subs are the more spl
The larger the subs are the more spl (generally speaking, no comparing apples and oranges in other words)

so…it’s …. Subjective, there’s that little word again.
How much spl do you want vs sq? Or you can even do both easily like the guy that posted near the top did….that was a cool setup for sure.

personally my two 18s are way more than I could imagine needing for everyday listening so if I could have I may have put them all the way to the rear of the vehicle, less spl lower frequencies (I think that’s right- I’m no acoustics genius but daloudin is)

my opinion? Hallway it - box the entire bed And cut the bed sub holes near the tailgate if possible with that box obviously being your manifold. Just like you said.

I just think it would sound better, but you might better use 15s , 18s seem like too much for the space after hearing how mine turned out- then again my t/s specs weren’t exactly thought out that well- bought them because they were cheap not because they were intended for this.

I’m sure someone will correct me on a thing or two but I think this is the best sub stage your going to get in a truck short of putting a camper on and further increasing the cabin area.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts