DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

961 - 980 of 1709 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
So... did someone send Vin exactly what he asked for? Or exactly what he asked for minus 3%? As much as I hear that adding for Paypal isn't allowed (by Paypal, not my job to enforce their terms), it's up to someone to ask for how much it costs and not let them sort it out on their own.

Juan
On 2 occasions the item I gave away fit in a USPS large FRB, I told the recipients that it will cost $14.95 for shipping.

The first time, I made a mistake by not asking the recipient for the PP fee as I assumed that it was common courtesy of the recipient to add it as he was getting the item for free. When I got the exact amount for postage I still went ahead and shipped the item as I am a man of my word but I posted this: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/1160699-post902.html ... not to call the guy out but to give a little guidance for any future recipients.

The second time however I told the recipient that shipping was $14.95 + PP fees. The recipient sent me $15.00. Again, I wasnt going to hold the item and ask him to give me another $.50 so I went ahead and shipped it, I didnt even bother emailing him back. In the grand scheme of things its spare change, but I'll say it again: it sucks when you give things away for free and end up having to partially pay for it and kinda ruins the sprit of this thread all together.

Also of note is that taking something and giving away something within 7 days for free rule is kinda of a joke. A few items I've given away was given to recipients that were either someone who signed up on this forum just to get the free item or just to turn around and sell. I've searched this thread and some of the guys that I gave my freebees to has never given away anything or hung around being jackals.

Its a shame really, I had some neat stuff that I was periodically going to offer here but in the end it isnt worth it. :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just my $.02...

The spirit of the whole thread is what you make of it...

I've shipped things out on my dime a few times...between 3 and 4 bucks each time after I went and bought a padded envelope or some strapping tape for the box...For these items I didn't ask the receiver to pay for shipping or materials. For me, this is my small way of contibuting to the DIYMA community. It's worth it because of all the wealth of knowledge that's available on this forum. So far, none of the regs have ever refused to answer any newb questions I've had, and heck, buying and trading on the classifieds...it's a hobby and a community...and to me, that's what it's all about, including this thread.

As far as the jackals and the vultures...I have to agree hold-heartedly that it's crappy when someone gets something for free and tries to resell...I can't argue that.

And if someone pays you for shipping and doesn't account for fees, I agree that it sucks based on principle. Hopefully they stick around and find a way to contribute to the community either through this thread or in other ways.

But I hate to see someone get their heart rate up over losing a few cents...How much money have you lost by buying something on this forum and then resold on this same forum because you couldn't use it, or changed your plans, or decided you wanted to upgrade? Aha. But we've also all saved a ton of money, not by switching to Geico, but by buying used through this forum. I cringe at the thought of how much I've spent, and how much I've lost, but you know what? It's a hobby...even when you give things away for free.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Okay I have come across some black canvas mesh. This is some heavy duty stuff. I know this will make great grill material.

This is the stuff used to create shade ove large areas. It usuall spans 30' - 50' w/o support, so it is great for using in ports on over kick pods or doors. It is flexable enough to wrap as well.

I have it 18" - 22" wide and will cut it no more then 24".

All you have to do is pay shipping. If interested PM me for pics. I have not posted enough to upload any pics yet. I will be more than happy to email you some pics.

My zip is 34208.

Rich

This is what I have excpet it is ALL BLACK and over a black port you can not see through it. :)

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I could take the Atari 2600 w/games fix it and offer it back for FREE working

If you think you could fix it thats fine with me! I know it won't fit in a flat rate box, as it's a lot of stuff to ship.
I can get everything boxed up tomorrow and give you an idea what shipping will be.
I'll take it, either broken or after it's fixed :D

·
Registered
819 Posts
The FREE pile:

Stinger HPM speaker wires
3ft length - 2 x 12ga, 1 x 14ga (twist)
5ft length - 1 x 10ga (twist)
8ft+ length - 2 x 12ga, 1x14ga (twist)

FLAT $15.00 TO SHIP

Scosche TA1465B dash kit (Perfect for 07-08 Toyota 4Runner with RDS E7008 DD replacement)

FLAT $3.00 TO SHIP

3/4 Roll of SDS Extruded Butyl "Rope"

FLAT $7 TO SHIP

Shipping INCLUDES pal pay fees, frustration from low-ballers and supplement to Xanax perscription to deal with any bullshit.

I will add more "No BS" items as I come across them.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
The FREE pile:

FLAT $15.00 TO SHIP

Scosche TA1465B dash kit (Perfect for 07-08 Toyota 4Runner with RDS E7008 DD replacement)

FLAT $3.00 TO SHIP

3/4 Roll of SDS Extruded Butyl "Rope"

FLAT $7 TO SHIP

Shipping INCLUDES pal pay fees, frustration from low-ballers and supplement to Xanax perscription to deal with any bullshit.

I will add more "No BS" items as I come scross them.
PM'd about the SDS Butyl

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
After reading all the talk about people shorting people who post stuff for free, I just wanted to make sure that $15 was enough to cover the shipping on those 6.5's, and if not let me know and I'd cover the difference. besides that I wanted to say thanks again for them since they are gonna work perfect with the old Peerless tweeters. Don't hesitate to let me know if you had to put out any extra cash to ship those, Thanks

HERE is a Email condensed from a member that got a set of speakers from me recently. Wish the others were like him... :D ( most are ) They fit in a $14.95 USPS FRB

·
Registered
819 Posts
HERE is a Email condensed from a member that got a set of speakers from me recently. Wish the others were like him... :D ( most are )
And on the other side of the spectrum, there are those who appreciate the concept of "free" as I also did just the other day..

·
Registered
819 Posts
Still available..

Stinger 4ga pwr/10ga spk wire tie down, plastic
Multiple lengths of Monster Cable Speaker (Original, older, found in a box - Good for SUB connections)

FLAT $15.00 TO SHIP

FLAT $3.00 TO SHIP

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have a Pioneer DEH-9200R up for grabs. I was using it until recently, when the motorized faceplate broke. It only goes halfway down before getting jammed and retreating back upward - because of this, the cd player is unusable as is. I don't know what it would cost to fix, but I'm sure it won't be expensive. Other than this, the player is in relatively good condition and works well. It was top-shelf when it came out, with MSRP nearly $700 back then. It has some good features and it sounds pretty good to boot, my only complaint is that the OEL screen gets washed out badly in direct sunlight.
Pioneer DEH-P9200R CD receiver with CD changer controls at Crutchfield.com

I have no remote and no cage. I do have the auxilliary input adapter and the wire plug on it. There is even a CD trapped in the player - also free to the lucky taker. I have no idea what size box this will fit in. I wonder how quickly this will go :D

·
Registered
819 Posts
well, that was quick! should be out the door on Monday, barring any unforseen troubles
It's for the son's up and coming car.. He can put some time or $$ to fix it and make it work.. Right now he can not afford crap..

Thank you and appreciated..

·
Registered
729 Posts
^ shipping with the CD in can break the mechanism on some models. I guess if you can't get it out that's just the name of the game...
do you think it would be possible to remove the CD while the unit is disconnected? I have it on my toolbench right now. Although I'm sure the recipient will be hearbroken if he doesn't receive the CD inside... lol

961 - 980 of 1709 Posts