DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
18,421 Posts
Does he do a light show every year?
Yep. I try to step it up each year.

This was last year. I use a light-o-rama 16 channel setup. I don't know how many lighst I have but it's a lot. I go every year when the lights get put on sale and buy more.
I just ordered another 16 channels for this year so I'm hoping to make it better. I'm researching on how to build a strong tunnel for the driveway and I hope to (eventually) build a Santa/Reindeer setup and put it in motion via lights.

I missed this Halloween because of travel and (life). Hopefully next year I can make it happen. I purchased a few actuators for coffins that I didn't get to use. :(

lets put a dollar amount on it, including time to set up and take down,

1. lights and electronics = $ 1200 ??

2. time = 20 hours to set up, 20 to take down = 40 hours @ ?? per hour = $$

id rather spend the money on a vacation/new subs/amps, tv, car?
I would be willing to bet that the guy wishes that's all it cost and that it only took 40 hours to do. I think you're thinking WAY too small. That took a tremendous amount of work and money to pull that off.
Judging from the house, I don't think he's really too worried about the money. And perhaps he just enjoys it. He would likely say that spending $400 on a set of drivers is a waste.

I kinda figured the person likely owned or worked for a company that did something along these lines. It's also possible they're just a giant geek and really enjoy doing it for fun.

All the same, it's really cool, and I'm sure it took a TON of work to do.

Luke, the thing you're missing is that people don't do this stuff just for them. We do it for others. As much of a goodwill person as you make yourself out to be I'm surprised you're not seeing the other side of your post. When you have a minivan full of kids out in front of your house, listening to their radio playing music while your lights are going to the sounds, and see their little faces smiling and them pointing and seemingly being in awe, you'll realize just why people do this sort of thing. As a grown ass man, it moved me to tears on numerous occasions. That's some awesome Christmas spirit... and it didn't cost them a dime.

And 40 hours? I wish. Even with my measly ol' 16 channels and (however many) lights, it took me about 3 weeks of tweaking and putting lights up, etc to get it right. There are guys doing this with THOUSANDS of channels and MUCH more complex setups than I can even imagine.

Regardless, I'll keep doing this as long as the power plant supports it. And this is something my daughter will help me with when she's older. Hell, even the neighbor kids helped me put up the tree last year and their parents came over and had a great time, too. It's actually become a staple in our neighborhood and I'm asked every year when we're going to do it again. Good times.

·
Administrator
2,486 Posts
I saw an interview with this guy today. He has 1142 channels. He switched to all LED lights this years and it reduced his electric by 1/3. He said that programming takes 10-12 hours per minute of synchronization. So Party Rock Anthem alone took him at least 40 hours since it's 5 minutes long.

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I saw an interview with this guy today. He has 1142 channels. He switched to all LED lights this years and it reduced his electric by 1/3. He said that programming takes 10-12 hours per minute of synchronization. So Party Rock Anthem alone took him at least 40 hours since it's 5 minutes long.
Isnt he the guy that owns
Light-O-Rama or something? I gathered that from the vid creds.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Thank you for such a valuable information. I have been searching for it for a long time and finally found it. Really appreciate your replies! I can't say that university gives you nothing. In many ways it's a good school of life! I always tried to develop my writing skills in school to become author in future. While my classmates used professional help with essay writing. What do you think about this?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Why do get the feeling that this site is turning into a spam dumpster?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts