DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just finished the install in my truck, so I figured I'd make a thread.

Here the Equipment List
Truck: 2018 Silverado Crew Cab LT All Star
Source unit: OEM
DSP: PPI DEQ.8 (based on the miniDSP C-DSP6x8)
Amps: Audison LRx 5.1 and LRx 2.9
Tweeters: Dayton Audio AMTPOD-4
Mids: Dayton Audio RS75-4 3"
Midbass: Dayton Audio RS225-4 8"
Sub: DAyton Audio UM10-22 10"

On to the pictures.

·
Registered
427 Posts
What a wonderful build. Everything looks so clean. I just added the Dayton air pods to my 2014 Chevy Silverado last night. They are in the same location using PVC end caps and lamp tubes. Yours look way nicer. I think the tweeters are performing nicely. What is your opinion of them. Also what do you think about that 3 inch. I almost bought that speaker also but went with the 2.5 inch Morel instead.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Nice work!! Let's hear about how it sounds

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, so far, it sounds pretty good and I haven't had the time to tune on it much, yet. Pretty much just set levels, time alignment and set crossovers. No EQ work yet.

The AMT tweeters sound really nice. Have a nice smooth response. They do need to be on axis though.

The RS75 3" mids are sounding nice in the factory locations, though i did quite a bit of treatment around them. I went with these because they are an undersized 3" and fit the factory location nicely.

The RS225 8" drivers are midbass machines. WOW is all I have to say. It took a lot of treatment on the doors to keep these things under control.

The Ultimax 10" plays nice and low in the sealed box. Having the sub up front is a whole new experience. Talk about in your face bass.

·
Registered
427 Posts
At what levels did you set the crossovers? I found that the AMT tweeters don't like to play low. I set the tweeter high pass at 10,000 then moved it up to 12,000 Hz. They have a nice smooth sparkle up top but seem to break up the lower you go.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At what levels did you set the crossovers? I found that the AMT tweeters don't like to play low. I set the tweeter high pass at 10,000 then moved it up to 12,000 Hz. They have a nice smooth sparkle up top but seem to break up the lower you go.
I have them crossed at 5K right now. I haven't noticed any breakup from the tweeters, but I don't play at very high volume either.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Great build, man! Center console sub box FTW!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Awesome build man, I bet it sounds amazing!

I have an 18' Silverado myself, want to clean up where my amps are mounted. What did you use to mount the amps on? Assuming some type of wood & what did you use to secure it to the body, did u drill into body or use some kind of adhesive?

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Very impressive! The enclosure and tweeter pods are excellently fabricated. Really great choice of equipment as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome build man, I bet it sounds amazing!

I have an 18' Silverado myself, want to clean up where my amps are mounted. What did you use to mount the amps on? Assuming some type of wood & what did you use to secure it to the body, did u drill into body or use some kind of adhesive?
It is plywood that is covered in bedliner. I drilled holes and bolted it to the back of the cab. I didn't want it to go anywhere.

·
Registered
258 Posts
A couple of questions if you're still out there.

Did you entirely remove the black plastic inner door separation panel ? And you replaced it with a sheet of dynamat and sound barrier ?

You are running 8" mid bass in the doors ? Did you alter the door panel at all or do portions of the speaker cones reside outside of the OEM door panel grill area ?
Obviously the "front of the truck" side of the larger driver still sat with the front edge of the door panel as well. I'd like to fit a Legatia L8 or other 8" driver in there myself, but I though I would have to rebuild the lower door panel speaker grill area.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A couple of questions if you're still out there.

Did you entirely remove the black plastic inner door separation panel ? And you replaced it with a sheet of dynamat and sound barrier ?

You are running 8" mid bass in the doors ? Did you alter the door panel at all or do portions of the speaker cones reside outside of the OEM door panel grill area ?
Obviously the "front of the truck" side of the larger driver still sat with the front edge of the door panel as well. I'd like to fit a Legatia L8 or other 8" driver in there myself, but I though I would have to rebuild the lower door panel speaker grill area.
The black plastic part that you are talking about is just flappy piece of plastic. It really only served as a moisture barrier.

The external, visible part of the door panel was untouched, but some trimming had to take place on the back side panel to make room for the flange of the 8" speaker.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I still love looking at your build man. Everytime I see this post I get fixed on 3D printers & come so close to buying 1. Theres a ton on Amazon for under $400 & a lot get good reviews but I just dont know which 1 to get & if itll do what I need? I want to be able to do what you did and print tweeter pods and also some other small plastic pieces for my truck. Your pods are so awesome and unique, I love it...

Your whole install is super clean, actually motivated me to make some changes to mine. I decided to ditch the prefab under seat ported box and I had a rear middle seat box built. Its awesome, just need to get the sub in it hopefully tomorrow n see if it sounds as good as it looks!

And now thatll have the area under the seats available I think I'm going to take some of the equipment that's mounted to the rear wall and move it under the seat and make some kind of display box. Haven't decided what to move yet though, got a bunch of equipment mounted and def could afford to move some things so everything isnt so crowded.

Not at all trying to hijack your post, but since we have the same truck figured I'd post a few of mine, the new box and amp rack. I always liked if I was looking for a specific vehicle build to see multiple builds in the same thread, was so nice not to have to search thread after thread... Plus seeing my install next to urs is motivation to better my skills!!

20180812_225224_1538245961717.jpg FB_IMG_1537882492686_1538245983156.jpg 20180812_164311_1538246022487.jpg 20180811_173808_1538246061334.jpg 20180511_152747_1538246170041.jpg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts