1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
^^ Yeah, this thing has me seriously considering how often I listen to the radio. Maybe after a few years when they aren't such a hot item, i'll try to pick one up. If they come to the US, that would be great, but that would likely delay my ability to find a good deal on one. I figure if they come out in Japan next year, they won't come out here for a year or two after, then I have to wait another year or two before the price will be reasonable. If they just release them in Europe, I could end up picking one up sooner if I decide to sacrifice the tuner.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Damn. I think I could live without pause and mute on the face for that beauty.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I got a quote getting the Carrozzeria DEH-P01, the Japanese version of this HU, shipped for just over $1k. I am seriously thinking about ordering it. It also has USB instead of the old Pioneer iPod control. Also, I have read that the ipbus XM and Sirius tuners work on the Japanese HUs so I am confident the HD Radio tuner will as well for US FM/AM on this deck.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
"The DEX-P99RS also offers versatile connections. A wide range of audio players can be connected via the direct USB (cable supplied) input. The USB connection is connected straight with the DSP section, providing a better sound quality than regular USB head units, making it possible to play high quality lossless audio from you USB device along with a wide range of iPod models and the iPhone using the optional cable (CD-IB10II)."

Who wants my P9?? :D

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
One of the few new HU I would actually open my wallet for.

·
18,547 Posts
"The DEX-P99RS also offers versatile connections. A wide range of audio players can be connected via the direct USB (cable supplied) input. The USB connection is connected straight with the DSP section, providing a better sound quality than regular USB head units, making it possible to play high quality lossless audio from you USB device along with a wide range of iPod models and the iPhone using the optional cable (CD-IB10II)."

Who wants my P9?? :D
which is exactly why I'm wanting one.

the p99 looks like a very good option for folks like us. Mark brought up a good point though... it probably doesn't have digital out if it's an all in one DSP/headunit.

I can't get a hold of the manual to find out for sure, though.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
18,547 Posts
japanese??...

I'm having trouble keeping this stuff straight now, fellas.

There's the p99 (UK) and the p01 (japan).

The p01ii looks more like the p9 here but black. In fact, I believe it is the Japanese p9.

The p99 looks to me more like an 800prs than a p9 of any sort. I believe this is an all new design and is 4-way active out of the box.

So, I believe they're entirely different units.

To sum it up:
p9= p90rs (UK) = p01 (japan)

p99 (uk) = nothing... brand new design

The p99 again might not even have digital in/out. All the p9 deviants do according to the specs on the links.
p99 does 4-way active out of the box. The p9's can't.
p99 has 4 24bit DACs. Don't know about the p9's.

Seems to be that the p99 is actually cheaper, surprisingly. Given that, I'd feel more obliged to compare it to a 800prs than anything else although it does have 31band EQ instead of 16band. And in that case, I'd think that the p90/p9/p01 would still be the top tier, though Pioneer UK's site shows otherwise.

If I'm wrong, someone tell me. But I spent a little while today tracking this info down (along with trying to track down sources for buying one of these; originally wanting just the p90rs for the black face) and I keep coming to this same conclusion.

Again, fwiw, I'd simply try the p99 based on the upgraded ipod compatibility. But I'd still love to have that black faced p9... p90.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
which is exactly why I'm wanting one.

the p99 looks like a very good option for folks like us. Mark brought up a good point though... it probably doesn't have digital out if it's an all in one DSP/headunit.

I can't get a hold of the manual to find out for sure, though.
The lack of a digital out would not be a dealbreaker for me... the only reason someone would need one would be to use a processor, which you would definitely not need running this HU. Most amps are still analog in, so unless you needed to run another processor for some crazy reason or are wanting to do some sort of carputer setup, I'll take this just as it sits. :cool:

1 - 20 of 220 Posts