DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JL "Thin-lines" / RFP3SD212 / Kicker CVT

My brother just bought a new Dodge 3500 Mega Cab, and is in need of some thin line sub woofers. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience or recommendations on the above drivers(or other good thin-line subs) for either behind or underneath the rear seat of his hew truck.

The drivers can be no deeper than 6" total, and he has room for about 1^ft per driver. He can only run 2, and is partial to 12's as well. He will be looking for primarily a loud, low-reaching driver but it cannot sound sloppy. The truck is brand new with no audio equipment in it whatsoever, so at this point, we are not worried about matching amps to them - amps will come next.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
267 Posts
With 6" you have ALOT of options and I say that even though I'm selling a shallow Exile sub (3.5")

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
JL "Thin-lines" / RFP3SD212 / Kicker CVT

My brother just bought a new Dodge 3500 Mega Cab, and is in need of some thin line sub woofers. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience or recommendations on the above drivers(or other good thin-line subs) for either behind or underneath the rear seat of his hew truck.

The drivers can be no deeper than 6" total, and he has room for about 1^ft per driver. He can only run 2, and is partial to 12's as well. He will be looking for primarily a loud, low-reaching driver but it cannot sound sloppy. The truck is brand new with no audio equipment in it whatsoever, so at this point, we are not worried about matching amps to them - amps will come next.

Any suggestions?
I drive a 3500 Mega Cab for work, and there is quite a bit of room back there. You don't necessarily need to run a thin-line sub... 6" is quite a bit of mounting depth for a lot of 12s on the market. If you're sold on the thin-line stuff, quality_sound has a pair of the new JL 13" thin woofers for sale in the classifieds, and his description of them seems to fit what you're looking for. Not sure what your price range is, but they may be an option. I also ran the Pioneer Premier thin subs for awhile, and they sounded pretty good. Does he have something else back there behind the seat? The reason I ask is because a friend who worked at a shop mentioned doing a Mega Cab install when the trucks first came out, and I thought they did 4 12s in about 1ft^3/sub.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I drive a 3500 Mega Cab for work, and there is quite a bit of room back there. You don't necessarily need to run a thin-line sub... 6" is quite a bit of mounting depth for a lot of 12s on the market. If you're sold on the thin-line stuff, quality_sound has a pair of the new JL 13" thin woofers for sale in the classifieds, and his description of them seems to fit what you're looking for. Not sure what your price range is, but they may be an option. I also ran the Pioneer Premier thin subs for awhile, and they sounded pretty good. Does he have something else back there behind the seat? The reason I ask is because a friend who worked at a shop mentioned doing a Mega Cab install when the trucks first came out, and I thought they did 4 12s in about 1ft^3/sub.
I think he wants to be able to still be able to let the rear seats back, aso he is going to put them underneath the rear seat...

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
If you put them under the seat you lose the capability to put the seats down and have the flat cargo floor. I personally like that feature in my truck. There is plenty of room behind the rear seat for a regular sub especially if you take out the storage bin. Why use the thin lines? I have a box with 2 ED 13ov.2 right now (not hooked up) and am trying to go with 4 10s. I can get 3 cuft without removing anything from the back wall, and could squeeze 4.5-5 cuft if i wanted to remove the hooks and such on the back wall

1 - 5 of 5 Posts