DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am switching from alpine amps and processing with the W505/H701 to zapco amps and processing (DC refs). And just wanting a change in HU as well, try something new. Nothing wrong with the W505, infact I love the ipod audio/video interface and screen resolution the most, but those are minor benefits especially considering the only reason i got the HU is because of the control of the H701.

Since all my processing is going to be done with the zapco amps I dont need it in the HU, obviously. My priority of features is below.

Priority:
1. SQ
2. price (would like to stay within what the W505 would sell for so about ~$600-650)
3. cosmetics
4. Sub level control
5. ipod or usb interface
6. divx, DVD-video playback (built in screen or connection for external screen) - Lowest priority, dont really care if its there but would be nice.

I was looking at the DRZ-9255 but its got a lot of processing power that wouldnt be used at all. Is there anything SQ oriented out there that just has your basic 4 or 6 channel RCA outputs with no processing thats better than the W505? Or am I just better off with what I have? Any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Since your processing will be done outboard, I see no need to move to another HU especially one that's more "sq" oriented. Electronics these days are just too good to buy them based on anything but reliability.

No "sq" magic dust to be had.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since your processing will be done outboard, I see no need to move to another HU especially one that's more "sq" oriented. Electronics these days are just too good to buy them based on anything but reliability.

I am actually glad to hear that, I never really did much research on HU's over the years which is why I asked. Never hurts to ask :)

·
Banned
309 Posts

I agree. The only real benefit that I can see you getting from another hu

is possibly higher output voltage or maybe noise suppresion

(copper chassis), both of which I think is solved by the symbilink.

Do you have the Zapco's hooked up yet? If not, I would

suggest you install them first and then see what you think.

It sounds like you're happy with your hu otherwise. You'll

probably just end up with a lot of extra features (minus ipod

control) that you don't need.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont have the zapco's yet, still need to sell a few things before I can get everything I need, but figured while I was in the selling stage might consider switching out HU's, but looks like I am just going to stick with the W505, I like the HU, only issue I have with it is it makes my ipod crash often and act strange. I end up having to reset the thing at least once to twice a month.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Check with Doiter on his review. He moved away from the W505 because he felt that there were beneifits to the HU from a detail perspecitve of the recordings. Why did you move away from the H701?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts