DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well tommorrow i'm going to pick up my Scion tC, brand new flint mica. The car is a hatchback. And first thing that i'm trying to address is my sub enclosure, which the majority of everything else i have fairly covered except making sure of the size of the midbasses.

Now i come to the conclusion if i can fit my tempest 15" that i have in my HT then i will be going that route, 3.5-4cf tuned in the 27hz area for SQ, but still wondering if it will have enough SPL for the bass head in me. This will be a heavily sided SQ install but i like to bump everynow and then....so i guess its partially SQL.

But anyway sub will be ran off of my NEXT 2.400 for the time being, thats 500rms @ 4ohms which should run it fairly nicely. That is if i can fit it, Now where i come for this thread is the enclosure design, I want to try my hand at fiberglassing, but wondering how i will be able to pull this off as i still want a ported enclosure, I havn't seen many installs with glass with ported enclosures, they will most likely be aeroports as well.

I hope that pic came up but that is basically a jist of what i had in mind. Oh yea did i mention i suck with paint....anyway hope that gets the point across. With the sub angled back about 20 or so degrees to hopefully clear the top of the hatch lid, but i also wonder if the angling of the sub with the ports fired directly back that far apart will cause any cancelations. Also i wonder how i am going to be able to keep the sub in the position that i think will fit while trying to get 3.5-4cf out of it, which i think is a nice size volume, will need to fine check on the correct SQ volumes though.

But i would really like some ideas on this design plus a few more ideas, i posted this on SIN a few days ago but still no responses. Possibly going to ditch the spare tire, and make a amp rack somewhere back there, or mount my processor somewhere back there. I would really like a clean single sub setup, but with a nice wow factor.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to convey my idea's.

Any other Subs welcome as ideas as well.....trying to stay away from 12's, just a pet pieve i have which i've had enough 12's wanted to go a tad bigger.

Thanks,

Thomas.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with the tempest, but 3-4cuft sounds about right for a ported shiva. I would think the tempest needs a little more room than that.

I don't have the white papers here at work. What volume does Adire list for a standard sbb4?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked for the Standard SBB4 and i couldn't find size or tunings, sealed volume for a .707 or .71 is roughly 4.55cf. As far as vented though, i'm not really sure, I'm trying to get a very flat and really extended response but trying to keep the size to a minimum yet still having enough room for the low power i'm running.

Ideas?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'm sure 500w is plenty for most tempest alignments. Ported will need a bigger box, so I would go sealed. If you go a little smaller then the 4.55cuft it shouldn't be to bad. It might be a bit punchy, but the high rolloff won't be to bad in car.

Unfortunatly this issue is common. Getting the bang-for-the-buck sub is fine if they work for your application. But if they are going to make you compromise then just look into something else.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea i was thinking about using the tempest that i had in my HT setup, mainly because i love the sound of it, and it sounds just soo clean. But i'm wanting to do a single 15" and get away from the normal 12's that i've been using. I have the opportunity to pick up a IDMAX 12d2v3 IIRC and its shipped 250, but not sure if i want to get it or try a smaller box high excursion 15".

And if i go the latter route, how small of a glass enclosure can i go and how much is this sub gonna cost me....as i'm on a pretty stiff wallet right now about what i'm using.

Any more nice 15's out there that wont break the bank but perform even better in the low registers than the tempest? HAD though about a used brahma 15 but havn't come across one, and still not sure if i could fit the ported box....hmm.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Well for about $250+shipping you can get an Oz Matrix 15". Maybe cheaper if you hit up ebay. Manuf. recommended is under 2cuft sealed, and about 2.5 ported.

The tempest is a nice sub, but it needs a really big box. The sealed .707 should do good, but if it is loud enough is up to you.

·
Registered
374 Posts
demon2091tb said:
Any more nice 15's out there that wont break the bank but perform even better in the low registers than the tempest? HAD though about a used brahma 15 but havn't come across one, and still not sure if i could fit the ported box....hmm.
I don't know how it compares to a Tempest but Elemental Designs 16Kv.2 is a very nice sub with a great price ($135 shipped). I'd say they hit tighter and cleaner than Kicker and JL Audio subs. I've heard that the eD Kv.2 series is simular to ID's lower line and the eD Ov.2 series is simular to ID's IDMAX line.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not really sure if i want to give eD a try or not....while back i wanted an 15A, but heard about all of the problems they were having and whatnot.....staying as far away from manufacturer problems as i can, and want to get my money's worth.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the car today, gonna check tommorrow to see what size driver will fit the way i've thought about it, then i will go from there with the driver choice, If the 15 fits the way i've thought i will be going with the Tempest, It should sound really good, tight, and get extreemly low. Glassing will be the hardest part of the whole thing....My biggest concern now is how i'm going to make a mold of the area i'm working on without ruining the interior of the vehicle......the interior is soooo nice, very plush and textured surfaces, would like to end up most likely getting some very thin padding and trying to recreate the seat material texture and feel.....to give the overall car the same feel and look.....have it blend fairly seemless and look professional. Hope this can all be done the way i've thought about it.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 15" will fit as i've seen, as far as box design i'm still thinking that the picture type i made up will work out, One thing i'm trying to decide now is the type of port and the tuning i will be using, tuning will be somewhere low 23-28hz as i'm looking for lots of SQ, but would still like the tuning to be high enough to have a nice amount of bass for Rap and overall the occasional bumping i like to do. I'm going to do a 4cf fiberglass box that will go from one side of the rear to the other with an amp rack just in front of that......I will take a mold of the rear seats (Rear seats have the ability to be folded down fowards or reclined just a tad to like a 30-40 degree incline.) I will leave the seats in the normal position and take a mold of the back of the seats up to the top of them, and a mold of pretty much 75% of the rear floor as well, and us that as the template for the sub box. I just hope that i can squeeze 4cf out of the box. I also wonder about wrapping the box around the sides of the hatch area to get more airspace and taking in and out the box with the spare tire being right under it....should i ditch the spare or is there someway i could incorporate it into my design with easy access still availible? I can't wait to get started on this....should be really nice if i can pull off the design like i have in my head.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts