DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...

I don't know, I think I caught the bug. I threw together a quick little sealed box for my truck last month, pics below.

Now, the glassing job is not done that well...I'm sure it's gonna hold together just fine but I'm thinking of doing something a little more challenging.

The sub is an Image Dynamics IDV V3 D4 12", driven by a JL audio 500/1 amp, ran by an MS8 processor.

From IDQ's site, they recommend .9ft3 for sealed and 1.25 for ported.

I'm guessing I have right around the 1ft3 mark where I'm at right now.

I'm thinking of utilizing both storage areas for a ported enclosure. I think that would yield 1.25-1.5ft3...which should be enough.

I'd have the port come out the front of the box, on the opposite side of the sub, facing the back of the front seat...explained in the rough diagram below.

So....Is such a thing even possible? Worthwhile?

Or am I better off building a better sealed box at 1f3 or 1.5 ft3.

Basically what's my best option here

Sealed @ 1ft3
Sealed @ 1.5 ft3
Ported @ 1.5 ft3

Thanks

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
That looks cool & all, and I'm always the first to say that the right enclosure makes all the difference, but I don't think it would be worth investing anymore into it unless you already have enough leftover material to fab another one.

I sounds like you're not sure how much volume you have already - I would toss some packing peanuts or something into it to get a better idea how much airspace you have to work with in the existing box - it might even be sufficient to port it instead of making a whole new one.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks cool & all, and I'm always the first to say that the right enclosure makes all the difference, but I don't think it would be worth investing anymore into it unless you already have enough leftover material to fab another one.

I sounds like you're not sure how much volume you have already - I would toss some packing peanuts or something into it to get a better idea how much airspace you have to work with in the existing box - it might even be sufficient to port it instead of making a whole new one.
I can check to see how much I have exactly, I'm just basing the numbers loosely off specs from other similar boxes. Lets just say for arguments sake I do have 1.5ft3 to work with.

As for the cost/investment of doing another one, I'm redoing the box regardless. It was thrown together quickly at my parents farm, and is suitable for now, but I want to put some time and effort into the design of the box, and to cover it with a perfect OEM match carpet.

I can't really just throw a port in this one, I'd have to build the MDF baffles differently.

·
Registered
324 Posts
For something thrown together quickly, it looks pretty damn good. If you're worried about leaks or flexing; make some soup from epoxy resin & Bondo. Go heavy on the hardener and move the box around to make sure a layer soup gets in all the nooks & crannies. It'll set without warning, so keep moving it around until it does.

If you're planning on a ported box, you're probably going to need a flex port (or shop vac hose). What would concern me would be port velocities & noise. No sense in going through all that work if you're going to have the port chuffing/whistling right behind you. It'll drive you bonkers, guaranteed.

Not sure if freebie enclosure programs can map out port velocities but the better programs usually do. Ask Extremerevolution if he thinks you'll have port noise with a 3" diameter flex port. Worst comes to worst; just add another 10" woofer.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For something thrown together quickly, it looks pretty damn good. If you're worried about leaks or flexing; make some soup from epoxy resin & Bondo. Go heavy on the hardener and move the box around to make sure a layer soup gets in all the nooks & crannies. It'll set without warning, so keep moving it around until it does.

If you're planning on a ported box, you're probably going to need a flex port (or shop vac hose). What would concern me would be port velocities & noise. No sense in going through all that work if you're going to have the port chuffing/whistling right behind you. It'll drive you bonkers, guaranteed.

Not sure if freebie enclosure programs can map out port velocities but the better programs usually do. Ask Extremerevolution if he thinks you'll have port noise with a 3" diameter flex port. Worst comes to worst; just add another 10" woofer.
Thank you, this is exactly the input that I was looking for. I was going to ask Extremerevolution in his modeling thread but it says that he doesn't have access to the forum for a while?? Anyways was hoping others could chime in.

3" would probably be the biggest port I could fit in the front.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts