DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I currently run a single JL 13TW5 on a JL750.1HD amp. I want more bass cause i am a junky...

can i run 2 BM MK V 12s off this amp and well enough or do i need to sell this bad boy and get in the 1000 - 1200 range amps? and if so any cost effective class D amps you'd recommend? needs to be small footprint.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
You should get more output from a pair of SI BM MK V subs due to more cone area and more excursion capability. The 13TW5 has less output than the 12TW3 because of less excursion due to needing to fit in a very shallow 2x4 wall for home. The BM MK V has slightly more output than the 12TW3 but they are close.

Regarding amps, you could work with what you have but 1200 watts would get them closer to full output capability.

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/general-car-audio-discussion/409315-shallow-sub-comparison-jl-12tw3-vs-si-bm-mk-v.html

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
just to be clear im not doing home audio its for my 2015 f150.
JL shallow subs are sold raw for the car and in enclosures for the home. Same sub, different uses/markets.

I will soon be offering the BM MK V for new inwall offerings for home theater, the same ones we also use in cars.

So my recommendations fit either use as cone area, excursion, and power handling are important to output, which is what we both want whether for the car or in the home theater.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
do you think it will be a huge difference or leave shit alone if you 85% HAPPY LOL
I haven’t tested the 13TW5 as I was turned off by the 10mm of excursion compared to 15mm in the BM MK V and 12TW3. The 13TW5 was designed in part to work in a 2x4 deep wall and this requirement resulted in some major limitations.

So I think just switching to the BM MK V should be a pretty nice improvement in output and should take care of that additional 15% of happiness needed. :) 2 BM MK Vs should definitely take care of the output you want.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am seeing a lot of brands like orion and crossfire with big numbers pretty cheap, what is the consensus on amps like them?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I too am looking for more output from my current single JL sub setup. I realized my signal strength is not up to par. Will be adding a line driver. Are you supplying enough voltage to your amp? Also what car is this in? If your sub is in a trunk, I suggest stepping up into the big boy 1000 watt club. If you have an Suv, that amp is plenty for most, just swap your sub with a JL 12w6v3.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts