DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Already have lots of CLD, CCF and MLV, but looking for a little more absorption. Thinsulate and Ultratouch look like my best choices, but can’t determine which is better and don’t know what weight thinsulate is best. Any educated help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I went through Vogue fabrics and for the 150
3M Thinsulate Fabric (Thermal Lining) CS150

Good price even with the shipping

·
Registered
18,411 Posts
Depends where you are trying to put it. If your trying to fill voids, untratouch (so long as water has no chance of getting to it. Thinsulate to go behind panels. I may be offering thinsulate shortly.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking to add to headliner and rear deck of 2019 Accord. Only concern with Ultratouch is if the foil lining would cause noise

·
Registered
18,411 Posts
I went through Vogue fabrics and for the 150
3M Thinsulate Fabric (Thermal Lining) CS150

Good price even with the shipping
just a heads up, this is not the correct thinsulate for our purposes. There are MANY different types of thinsulate, and this is the stuff for winter clothing like gloves and jackets.

·
Registered
18,411 Posts
Looking to add to headliner and rear deck of 2019 Accord. Only concern with Ultratouch is if the foil lining would cause noise
110% thinsulate. The automotive versions are specifically made for this

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
The back deck of my Accord is ensolite on the deck and a fd2 thickness ccf on the underside of the deck.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
just a heads up, this is not the correct thinsulate for our purposes. There are MANY different types of thinsulate, and this is the stuff for winter clothing like gloves and jackets.
Umm my buddy that's works for 3m says this is the exact stuff. He would get me some but he is in India for the next couple of months.

·
Registered
18,411 Posts
Umm my buddy that's works for 3m says this is the exact stuff. He would get me some but he is in India for the next couple of months.
I assure you, it is not. Yes, it'll do pretty much the same thing if you do a couple of layers to build it up to the same volume, but this is the stuff that is made for clothing. The Automotive Thinsulate is all under the SML or AU model numbers. Without digging through the email chain again, if I remember correctly the difference is water and flame resistance, as well as density and thickness, and construction of the strands that make it up. I'm literally in the process of becoming a dealer for Thinsulate and this is the information that 3m is telling me, as well as showing me (the data). Your buddy may work for 3m, but 3m is a MASSIVE company. When i even call their automotive department some of the people dont even know what thinsulate is. They make so many god damn products (55,000 and growing according to google), that i wouldnt put it past anyone that "works there" to not give specialized advice on a random product you asked about. Just sayin', ya know?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
That is exactly what he does Nick. He is high up in The synthetic fibers r&d. It's a chemical formula for synthetic fibers that's all theirs, it's the same the fire and moisture and different additives can be had and like you said different weights and thickness but it's the same material. They worked with Porsche to add a few mm (can't recall the number but thin) of thinsulate to the rag top to provide more than 3db less road noise so I'm not too concerned with having to add an extra layer or not. I will let him know the sales team is doing a great job in helping you with the perfect weight and thickness for resonix labeled thinsulate.

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
I assure you, it is not. Yes, it'll do pretty much the same thing if you do a couple of layers to build it up to the same volume, but this is the stuff that is made for clothing. The Automotive Thinsulate is all under the SML or AU model numbers. Without digging through the email chain again, if I remember correctly the difference is water and flame resistance, as well as density and thickness, and construction of the strands that make it up. I'm literally in the process of becoming a dealer for Thinsulate and this is the information that 3m is telling me, as well as showing me (the data). Your buddy may work for 3m, but 3m is a MASSIVE company. When i even call their automotive department some of the people dont even know what thinsulate is. They make so many god damn products (55,000 and growing according to google), that i wouldnt put it past anyone that "works there" to not give specialized advice on a random product you asked about. Just sayin', ya know?
You're a fount.
I'll watching for when you carry it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input as always Nick. Not sure how you turn out so many installs and still have time for us, but I appreciate it!

·
Registered
18,411 Posts
Thanks for the input as always Nick. Not sure how you turn out so many installs and still have time for us, but I appreciate it!
Because I'll sleep when I'm dead :)

Also, Kevin's a big help lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
Do you have any idea how far out you are on offering this? I was about to buy a few feet of sm600l off ebay, but I am in no hurry and would rather give you the business.

·
Registered
18,411 Posts
Do you have any idea how far out you are on offering this? I was about to buy a few feet of sm600l off ebay, but I am in no hurry and would rather give you the business.
Tbh, I'm not sure. I'm debating between the sm600l, the 400l, the 400au, and the Chinese stuff (which has it's own pros and cons).

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Tbh, I'm not sure. I'm debating between the sm600l, the 400l, the 400au, and the Chinese stuff (which has it's own pros and cons).

The compressibility (or non-compressibility) for the sm600l is my real question. I know it comes compressed on the roll and expands outwards after. It has much better sound absorption properties in the region of 800-1200hz than the sm400l. IIRC that's the primary frequency range of tire-related road noise, which makes it an ideal choice if it can actually be squished down to fit behind panels.

·
Registered
18,411 Posts
The compressibility (or non-compressibility) for the sm600l is my real question. I know it comes compressed on the roll and expands outwards after. It has much better sound absorption properties in the region of 800-1200hz than the sm400l. IIRC that's the primary frequency range of tire-related road noise, which makes it an ideal choice if it can actually be squished down to fit behind panels.
That's the problem. It's not as "crushable" as the Chinese version. So itll absorb sound better, but idk if they will be neck and neck as a decoupler/ease of install

·
Vendor
10 Posts
Hello Everyone,

This is Hein with DIYvan.com. We are authorized by 3M to sell Thinsulate(TM) automotive grade acoustic insulation and cater mostly to the van up-fit market. I sold and installed mobile audio systems in my younger days and appreciate the need to good products to reduce noise and improve sound quality. I am a member of the SAE and we are in contact with the 3M vehicle NVH engineering team and will relay and respond to any questions that you may have. They have some interesting new damping materials coming later this year.

We stock SM600L, SM400L, AU4002-5 and also TAI1547 Thinsulate(TM). We also have minicell closed cell cross-linked polyethylene foam and Low-E (EZcool) We are the ebay and amazon vendor Impact Products.

Feel free to reach out to Kim or myself (via DIYvan.com) if you want to receive samples of Thinsulate(TM), Low-E or minicell. We would be happy to stock additional varieties of Thinsulate(TM) for your specific applications. Please let us know what you need and we will get some on our next shipment from 3M.

We look forward to serving your industry and helping everyone with their builds. Please call or write if you have any questions.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan.com
541 490 5098

1 - 20 of 22 Posts