DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Ram with a 160 amp alt and a stock battery. I'll soon have a 2400 watt system (225 amps). I can't get the DieHard Plarinum in Canada, but I can get the DieHard International, which is similar (AGM). The battery in the Rams is a reverse polarity 94R which sucks, because it's not very common.

I was thinking of possibly adding this under my drivers seat:

Kinetik High Current Power Cells

If not a bad idea, what is the best way to wire it? If I have to run a separate wire from the alt I will pass on the idea. But...what if I were to wire it from the main battery, with the power wire carrying on to the distribution block, with the small battery under my seat separately grounded?

Also, if I am not listening to the system with the engine off, do I need an isolator?

Thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a 2011 Ram with a 160 amp alt and a stock battery. I'll soon have a 2400 watt system (225 amps). I can't get the DieHard Plarinum in Canada, but I can get the DieHard International, which is similar (AGM). The battery in the Rams is a reverse polarity 94R which sucks, because it's not very common.

I was thinking of possibly adding this under my drivers seat:

Kinetik High Current Power Cells

If not a bad idea, what is the best way to wire it? If I have to run a separate wire from the alt I will pass on the idea. But...what if I were to wire it from the main battery, with the power wire carrying on to the distribution block, with the small battery under my seat separately grounded?

Also, if I am not listening to the system with the engine off, do I need an isolator?

Thanks.
So your vehicle has a positive ground? I have seen that on tractors and heavy machinery and some very old cars but not modern ones.

I am not too familiar with the Die Hard batteries, are those AGM? I would look into a AGM battery and place it inside. I do not worry about major brand names on batteries anymore, I look for AGM only, not lead or gel.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So your vehicle has a positive ground? I have seen that on tractors and heavy machinery and some very old cars but not modern ones.

I am not too familiar with the Die Hard batteries, are those AGM? I would look into a AGM battery and place it inside. I do not worry about major brand names on batteries anymore, I look for AGM only, not lead or gel.
No. Positive from the main battery to the Kinetic to the distribution block. Kinetic battery grounded to chassis. Distribution block grounded to chassis.

I can't fit anything inside. That micro sized Kinetic is about it.

The DieHard Platinums are critics darlings on this site, or so I gather. The Internationals and the Platinums are both AGM, although I suspect that the Platinums may be sightly more powerful CA-wise (the International 94R is 800ish).

·
Registered
82 Posts
XS Power makes some of those small batteries and I am sure other companies as well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
When I had my Nissan Frontier I ran 4- Optima batteries installed inside a tool box in the cargo bed of the truck

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
XS Power makes some of those small batteries and I am sure other companies as well.
I'm not following. If by small batteries you're referring to the Kinetic in my post, it's AGM. As is XS Power and Shuriken. They all have those small batteries. I just grabbed Kinetic as as an example. Why look to XS Power or other brands (apart from cost)?

If you're talking about the 94R under my hood, I wouldn't say it's small and as far as I can tell only the DieHard International (and Platinum) have a 94R AGM that's okay (I know - Odyssey too but look at the numbers on that - I wouldn't waste my time).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts