·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Setup:
1 RE Audio xtx 500.5 amp
4 RE Audio XXX Component speakers
1 slimline 10" SL sub from RE Audio
Pioneer Headunit (not sure model but 2 months old from Best Buy)
2007 chevy silverado new body

Problem:
Multiple amps have fried and gone into protection mode and will not come out despite all the install basics being correct.

Background:
First off let me say I have done all the usual troubleshooting for protection lights after a large amount of online research.

So this started a few weeks ago when we were riding around listening to music at a normal volume and then bam... no more music and amp in protection...

So disconnected everything from the amp except power ground and remote and still no luck... checked ground and power and remote with DVM and all above 11 and 12 v. respectively. Amp is mounted to carpet with a pad below it so is not grounded.

Send amp in for reapir, in meantime put other 4 channel amp in and all works.... (hadn't fixed anything as found no problem with install) 2 weeks later fuse on power wire blows... Since the 4 channel I put in was slightly bigger I upgraded the fuse and replaced it... Well that was stupid b/c as soon as I put power to everything the amp started violently smoking and poof, amp #2 down....

So I started to think the reason for all the problems was the steering wheel controls that were not working, must of been hooked up wrong... long story short I had a universal steering wheel control adapter + 1 part of a 3 part steering wheel control module... They were conflicting so got that fixed and steering wheel controls now work.

I figured this was causing the amps to blow as everything else was good (impedences etc).

By this time the original 5 channel came back and I hooked it up... Powered up with only RCA, power, ground and remote hooked up. Green light and all is good.

Go to hook up 1 channel and as soon as I touch the speaker wire to negative on amp I hear a sort of whine from the speaker and click boom from the amp.... PROTECTION MODE AGAIN!!! and once again it stays on with only power ground and remote and all voltages are good with solid ground etc...

Checked the inpedence of that speaker and its at 2.2 ohms, amp is stable down to 2 ohms.

Something in this install is making these amps go into protection to the point of no return and I can not figure it out.... My buddy wants his system back and not being able to fix it effectively is making me look bad!!

Any ideas???

·
Registered
75 Posts
well, get your dmm out and check things again. first off- you should not be getting 2 different voltages at the remote/power when compared to the ground. there is a problem there. both should be reading over 12v. 2nd, check your rcas, and ohm them. then, check for dc at the rcas. which speaker is it that you hooked up. either there is a short there, or you have a bad signal going to them. don't suppose you grounded the head to the databuss? would have other problems with it as well, and possibly feeding it a pulsed signal somehow, though you should hear that easy. check what they put out on ac as well, with nothing playing, there should be pretty much no voltage, and with something playing you should be getting ac. ther could also be a short somewhere in your speaker wires. couold have a bad ground making it ground through the rcas. first thing is to go over your wiring to make sure it is all in order and good condition.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
first off- you should not be getting 2 different voltages at the remote/power when compared to the ground. there is a problem there. both should be reading over 12v.
Well I thought It was different as I was comparing 4 guage to 18 guage... I have it run from the HU and a few other things are tapped into it but above 11 with vehicle off should still be ok I think

check your rcas, and ohm them. then, check for dc at the rcas. which speaker is it that you hooked up. either there is a short there, or you have a bad signal going to them. don't suppose you grounded the head to the databuss? would have other problems with it as well, and possibly feeding it a pulsed signal somehow, though you should hear that easy. check what they put out on ac as well, with nothing playing, there should be pretty much no voltage, and with something playing you should be getting ac
I'm definately leanin toward bad signal to amp... After it happened I could not use the 2nd set of rca on the 4 channel as it put out a lot of noise... I assumed it was cuz of my incorrect steering wheel control install but obviously not... So what am I checking for exactly ohm wise and how to check? What should I have dc? I was trying to check earlier but not sure how to with rca or what to expect

What do you mean ground head to databuss?

I definately got some weird feedback from the speaker for 1 sec and that sounds to be the culprit as I did check the speaker itself and ohms read good so unless a bad crossover can cause this don't think its the speaker

·
Registered
866 Posts
Sounds like one of your speakers is grounded out. Either the wire got nipped, or maybe the tinsel hitting the basket.
With the dmm on continuity check all the speaker wires with one probe Hooked to ground and the other touching each wire individually.
If u get a beep (unless ur dmm doesn't on continuity) then u have a start.
If no joy, then I'd check all the resistances on the speakers.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sounds like one of your speakers is grounded out. Either the wire got nipped, or maybe the tinsel hitting the basket.
With the dmm on continuity check all the speaker wires with one probe Hooked to ground and the other touching each wire individually.
If u get a beep (unless ur dmm doesn't on continuity) then u have a start.
If no joy, then I'd check all the resistances on the speakers.
Was going to say the same thing. I think a speaker/wire is grounding out.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
A speaker grounding out should just trigger the short protection circuitry and turn the amp off, not smoke it.

My guess is its low quality amps doing what they do best. What's the other amp that got smoked?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK....

Finally got a break from the rain and I think i figured out what is going on with this system.... It was a short, but not a obvious one... When the windows rolled down they were barely touching on the back of the speakers...

these XXX are as deep as some subs and even in this chevy they touch.

The good news is there is a lot of space in front and a trip to the dealer will get me some more stock mounts to modify and space correctly.

But that still doesnt solve the noise I had from that 2nd set of preouts with the 2nd amp... anyone know how to verify the preouts and that whole string of connections? just want to make sure....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts