DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you removed your spare tire, what do you do in the event that you have a flat? I'm in the proces of building a false floor for my G35, but at the same time, I want to keep my spare tire readily available in the event that I should have a flat. It does seem though, that it would be actually easier to leave the spare out and catch a ride to my house for it than to have to disconnect everything. Any ideas, or pics of builds with a spare tire included? Or should I just limp home?:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you removed your spare tire, what do you do in the event that you have a flat? I'm in the proces of building a false floor for my G35, but at the same time, I want to keep my spare tire readily available in the event that I should have a flat. It does seem though, that it would be actually easier to leave the spare out and catch a ride to my house for it than to have to disconnect everything. Any ideas, or pics of builds with a spare tire included? Or should I just limp home?:D
I have roadside assistance with my insurance, so I'm not exactly worried about a flat. My roomate carries around a can of fix-a-flat and a cheap 12v air pump just in case.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I rocked it with the spare in there.
I am kind of leaning that way. I do have the side rear<quarter panels??> where I could mount the amps vertically. The only problem is that there are 3 of them plus and extra batt, plus passive xovers. This planning thing is a real *****, especially when I have my front stage mostly installed and want to hear what it sounds like. All I have for sound right now is the rear factory door speakers. I just need to position my tweets and I will be done there on the front stage.

·
Registered
114 Posts
In my false floor the amp rack has handles, and all the wiring coming and going is just long enough to lift the rack up up and set it on the rear lip of the sub box. The rear portion of the amp rack then rests there and on the tail light trim. Its not convenient but it would only add maybe a minute to changing a spare. The amp rack is pretty hefty though, somewhere around 50lbs fully laden.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
I am kind of leaning that way. I do have the side rear<quarter panels??> where I could mount the amps vertically. The only problem is that there are 3 of them plus and extra batt, plus passive xovers. This planning thing is a real *****, especially when I have my front stage mostly installed and want to hear what it sounds like. All I have for sound right now is the rear factory door speakers. I just need to position my tweets and I will be done there on the front stage.
Jesus it's a G35 mang, how much power do you need?

I live too far out in the boonies to rely on roadside assistance and when I designed the system my kid was much younger and much less patient....

·
Registered
183 Posts
I left my spare in. Will cut out little handles that allow for removal of the false floor if I had to get to the spare. I too have roadside assistance. Was also thinking about installing a small window strut or something that would aid in lifting and holding up the floor to get to the tire. The spare isn't that wide so you only need a little gap to pull it out.

·
Registered
290 Posts
i am going for hinges(sp?) in mine, i could have used that idea to have a small compressor and all that.. but that wont fix a larger hole or an rip in the tire : P

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses. Everyone has provided some really good insight and I could quite possibly use ideas here and there from the responses.
If I were to go without the spare, I'm thinking of doing something like Scott Buwalda did with his G in the spare tire well. That could potentially save tons of room.
Chad, I have 2 amps for my front stage and then a sub amp. The way I look at it, it's better to have the power and not need it, than to need it and not have it. I totally understand patience with the kids and planning out the build. I've been building on this thing for a month now. Thanks for the replies folks.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
use the spare to your advantage....

The other side has a wing that flips up also it houses and Iota power supply, the jack a tool kit, **** like that.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Honestly, when on the road, I haven't gotten any sort of flat that couldn't be fixed with a 7$ plug set available at any walmart/autozone/whatever and a small 12v compressor. That being said. I would never want to have to plug a tire on the side of the road in 10 degree weather, rain or snow, or night. Also, if you get major damage:IE something through the sidewall, you'd be screwed. If you eschew the spare, make sure you've got a means to fix a flat as well as roadside assistance.

If you don't travel more than a few miles from home on a regular basis you could always just take it out and just throw it on top when you go on long trips.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Or you could always do what I did.

And hang everything from the rear deck.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Very nice install. I wanted to single out this picture though, how is that cover piece over the amp connected to the rest of the structure? Or is it? The picture makes it look like it's hinged. Does it just lay on top of the amp?

When everything is fit together it looks like its just one piece with a cover over the sub. Very tight fitting.Very clean.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I Love False floors, the one i had, i kept the spare tire under. It was simply snugly fit, 2 piece (left and right) MDF, carpeted tightly. I made it by first making cardboard templates from palat cardboard sheets from the grocery store and tracing to MDF. I would sit one side in first and hold up the middle a few inches, then do the same with the other...and it was snug enough that once you let them both go they pressed outward strong enough to lay flat let there was no way it would move at all. I ran two bridging metal brackets from the hardware store to keep them snugger but i really didn't need that. I kept the spare and would just lift stuff out to get to...no screws to pop the tire. Once i added that, the car became a rolling amp test rack...i'd just leave power and speaker and RCA hanging and just plug in and screw down whatever i wanted to test....that started the fever....

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
So the entire top is one piece that just lays over the sub box and amp?

I'm going to have to copy you :)
Yeah to remove the works you push the pass side seat forward a bit. Fold up the wings and pull up. Then disconnect the enclosure and pull up again and SHAZAM. A spare tire.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
I have roadside assistance with my insurance, so I'm not exactly worried about a flat. My roomate carries around a can of fix-a-flat and a cheap 12v air pump just in case.

Very important thing to keep in mind. Some tire companies say the tire can not be repaired after using tire sealant (fix-a-flat). Not to mention all of the bad things that can happen from continuing to drive on a tire that went flat.

Find a way to keep the spare or rely on a road side assistance/towing service.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts