DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting around to finishing my "proper" front door install (thanks Resonix!) and am re-evaluating the stacked ABS/cellular PVC speaker baffles I made for my AF GS690s.

In doing so, I'm contemplating redoing them out of a more substantial material and have found a source for some nice clear acrylic scraps locally for a reasonable price. My question for those that do this often is what router bits will work the best for this? Are the standard 1/4" spiral upcut bits I got from Whiteside sufficient? The sheet I'm looking at is 1/2" thickness if that helps my cause at all.

I could've sworn I read a thread somewhere on this topic, I specifically remember @SkizeR stating that a slow spriraling bit was preferred but for the life of me I can't find it anymore.

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
124 Posts
I've never tried anything else, but I went directly to a 1/2" spiral flush trim bit.

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow with the quickness! And trying to save me money and hassle to boot!

I guess ultimately my goal is to achieve the best possible install I'm capable of, and I'm wondering if I will have better luck getting a thicker stack to get the driver closer to the inner door card. By my rough guesses, I've got well more than an inch to spare. While I can add another layer of expanded PVC (which I already have), it would mean bonding the two textured sides together (did I mention I got this material at Menards? :)).

Here's what I'm working with, a shot of my tests for the different adhesives I had on hand:

Anyone fused this texture together with decent results?

Here's a shot of the speakers installed, mechanical fasteners in the stack as well, lol:

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
See that's the thing, I've got a set of SoundSkins rings for them that I have yet to put on, but even with that I think I'm out of reach of the door card. Would you try to double up on the foam before making another stack to put on?

The nice thing is that the PVC and ABS are not glued together. Rather I purposely left them apart in the event I wanted to change something up and used a layer of gasket tape between them. In this case it'd be unbolting the two, gluing on another layer, and then to the router table to copy the shape. Aside from finding some longer #8-24 bolts, I've got basically everything else.

Should've known better to try and measure the stack in the door, I just got lazy and went off of the OEM speaker pod...

· Registered
4,525 Posts
I've never tried anything else, but I went directly to a 1/2" spiral flush trim bit.

The only down side to a 1/2” bit is the amount of material it removes, increasing the work it does (not to mention the amount of crap you need to clean up, it’s literally twice that of a 1/4” cutter), and also if you’re making a grill cutout for example and then copying the centre piece larger you are far better off with a 1/4” bit as most straight cutters with oversize bearings for increasing the size don’t go big enough to step up properly 👍🏼

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds skins don't work but if you want to do the work i think that would be ideal
I know that the Fast Rings aren't the deal, but I thought the SoundSkins were closed cell? They at least market them as waterproof.

I might have some of this grey foam weather stripping that I got at HD or Lowe's, I'll have to look for the stuff in the roofing section tho, this was just the regular stuff like you mentioned:

· Registered
7,566 Posts
I know that the Fast Rings aren't the deal, but I thought the SoundSkins were closed cell? They at least market them as waterproof.

I might have some of this grey foam weather stripping that I got at HD or Lowe's, I'll have to look for the stuff in the roofing section tho, this was just the regular stuff like you mentioned:
Nice to see Robertson head screws! I rarely see them in US... In Canada they are the standard, but we still like our Philips heads.

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I assumed they were and tried to ignore that part... Lol. But of course the Robertsons come in other flavors too. ;)
Hey man, those coarse threads bite into that cheap Metra adapter pretty good!

Fortunately this getup has been replaced with the GS690's, so drywall screws no more.

*Update - But agreed, the square drive does a lot to prevent cam out. I started seeking them out after having good luck with the Kreg screws that came with my pocket hole jig.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.