DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy came into my shop today complaining of his (self-installed) amp not working. This is all i took a picture of but, as you can guess, the entire car was a disaster.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
copper roll cage perhaps?

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Makes you wonder what else he's done like that.
Hope it's not his home water heater.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
That made my jaw drop. I wish you had more pics of his work.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Pah reminds me of a guy I sold an amp to. He blew about 8 fuses and kept accusing me of selling him a bad amp. Turns out he had 12v and ground backwards. But that would be a pain to cross over to get in and out of the car.

·
Registered
509 Posts
we deal with crap like that on a daily basis at our shop. It's always a person who had their 'friend' install their stuff.

Some of the **** I've seen.... :eek:

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
how does he get in and out of the car?

I wouldnt touch that car with a 10ft pole. you work on it and then it catches fire, he will blame you.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
I wonder if he has two lugnuts on each wheel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
LMFAO that looks like my car except i have 8g and 4 g wire running. oh and then i have eletrical taped the 8g to a 6g? wire right behind the passenger seat that leads to my amps which btw are not screwed to anything. been like that for 3 yrs?

but on a serious not I was stupid and now i want to do it right... im in the process of fixing my setup but does runnign the wire like i did cuz a possible sound or power issue. I understand the safety and fire issue.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I see crap like this all the time. I bet he doesn't have a fuse at the battery either. LOL

·
Registered
144 Posts
LMFAO that looks like my car except i have 8g and 4 g wire running. oh and then i have eletrical taped the 8g to a 6g? wire right behind the passenger seat that leads to my amps which btw are not screwed to anything. been like that for 3 yrs?

but on a serious not I was stupid and now i want to do it right... im in the process of fixing my setup but does runnign the wire like i did cuz a possible sound or power issue. I understand the safety and fire issue.
That's scary. If that electrical tape disconnects, your wires could start shorting to the metal behind and below your seat, and that would get very exciting in a hurry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's scary. If that electrical tape disconnects, your wires could start shorting to the metal behind and below your seat, and that would get very exciting in a hurry.
yea i know, i would be doing it how instead of reading this but its raining dogs and cats now. im extremely noob and know nothing. but i keep reading these forums

·
Registered
144 Posts
You should run an entirely new power wire, splicing difference gauges isn't a good plan IMO. Just the same as you shouldn't string coat hangers together to use as speaker wire, you shouldn't have a spliced together multi gauge cable like that.

How much power are you running? That 8ga may be insufficient if you're running a decent amount of power, and you should definitely screw your amp down to be safe.

If you got into a car crash that amp could become a projectile.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You should run an entirely new power wire, splicing difference gauges isn't a good plan IMO. Just the same as you shouldn't string coat hangers together to use as speaker wire, you shouldn't have a spliced together multi gauge cable like that.

How much power are you running? That 8ga may be insufficient if you're running a decent amount of power, and you should definitely screw your amp down to be safe.

If you got into a car crash that amp could become a projectile.
amps are in trunk. the car is a 98 buick century. im running a 40 x 4 chan amp(i thnk alpine mrp m350?) and a 600 watt alpine mpr m650. i would love to upgrade the speaker amp but i would rather wait till i get more $$ for that. i would like to not go any less then 60 solid watts per chan.

i got a chance to trade out my 2 12W0 JL for the JL c2's. Then i would get sundown audio sa-12. Good idea? I mainly listen to rock and heavy metal and techno. Im willing to do whatever to get 6.5's or separates in the doors.
I just have to DIY install it bc all these car ppl around here are expensive and untrustworthy.

I'm not going for a super sound quality install in my car.. thats what my home theater is for :) but i would like it to sound great and i will be doing sound deading at somepoint too. the speakers in my car now are the junk rockford fosgate punch seriese 5 1/4 and 6x9

all help needed

1 - 20 of 33 Posts