DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to know what the experts here think about Soundstream amplifiers, XTA Series (Xstream.) I was thinking about picking a few up they look really good, decently priced, specs are good, and i have heard good reviews from suppliers. Here are some links.

XTA series manual:

http://www.soundstream.com/manuals/2006/AMP/xstream-amplifiers.pdf

And heres a few models I have been looking at for a future build:

Soundstream XTA240.2 Amp: 2-Channel
^ That model will most likely be powering 2 of those sexy tangband 6x9 subs.

Soundstream XTA600.2 Amp: 2-Channel
^ That model will be powering a JBL GTO 12 DVC

Soundstream XTA360.4 Amp: Multi-channel
^ That model will be powering my front and rear stages

I got a question though, the amps for instance say 360W on the heatsinks but every supplier is rating the peak power twice that (720W.) I know peak powers really don't matter, but does this mean Soundstream advertises their amps at the RMS? Are the amps even reputable or reliable, would they be worth the money. I need to know this info because a guy in town wants my sony amp and my optimus amp, and I would love to have a matching decent set of amps and make sure I don't under/over power anything.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Try looking at the older Reference or D series amps. Those are good looking built in the U.S.A. quality amps that are readily available on the used market. If there ever is a problem with them they can be sent to Zed for repair/upgrades. One of the older 5 channel amps may work out great for you.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sound Stream had alot of stuff @ the Sacramento Autorama this year and I was fairly impressed. I'm not a fan of their speakers, but their amps are solid and the guys building the cars were easy to talk with.

I believe that if you buy one or more of their amps, you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sound Stream had alot of stuff @ the Sacramento Autorama this year and I was fairly impressed. I'm not a fan of their speakers, but their amps are solid and the guys building the cars were easy to talk with.

I believe that if you buy one or more of their amps, you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, i am not familiar with the XTA series, but i use a Soundstream Van Gogh 500.4 amplifier and i can tell you it sounds very good. Sounds super clean, highs and mids have nice detail, bass sounds tight. I think this was a limited edition they made but if you can find one i would highly recommend it.

Shawn

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Hello, i am not familiar with the XTA series, but i use a Soundstream Van Gogh 500.4 amplifier and i can tell you it sounds very good. Sounds super clean, highs and mids have nice detail, bass sounds tight. I think this was a limited edition they made but if you can find one i would highly recommend it.

Shawn
I run the exact same amp as he mentioned in my truck and 2nd everything he just said. If you don't hear a ton of praise for a mass product line like the XTA series, I would stay away. I put my hard earned money where people have had great experiences and find that 9/10, the general concensus is correct.

·
Registered
844 Posts
XTA amps are complete **** in my opinion. A few years ago, I got back into aftermarket audio after being out of it for more than a dozen years. Expecting Soundstream to have the same rep it had back in the day, I bought an XTA360.4 to power my new system. The cheap price should have been a warning flag. Those amps have to be overrated, it had no balls whatsoever. I replaced it with a lower powered Alpine MRP-F250 that completely blew it away in output and quality.

Maybe it's an option for a budget system, but I would probably look elsewhere first.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Xta's are basically the Power Acoustik amps of SS's line up. Standard budget amps -- servicable, but rated "optimistically".

·
Registered
229 Posts
So as not to get into another how much does it make....link:

http://www.soundstream.com/manuals/2006/AMP/xstream-amplifiers.pdf

And i think they suck because they are too frickin huge. Otherwise i think they put out advertised RMS power and i haven't had any issues (knock on wood) in the 3 years or so i have ran mine pretty much all out. Good price for the features IMO.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but these are not CEA 2006 rated, so you have no assurance that they will make spec. IMO, the SS you are looking at is a very optimistic and overrated choice.

What's your budget? Maybe we can work a solution around in another way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts