DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone done a comparison or have an opinion on audiofrog gb60 to the audison TH 6.5 II Sax ? currently running gb60 in sealed pods with 8 litters of volume.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you're spending that much and going sealed you may want to consider the Purifi woofers. According to ErinH's test they have lower distortion than the GB60's and more useable xmax. The 8 ohm want something like .2 cu ft and the 4 ohm want .15 cu ft or so.

Well I was being lazy but since Erin's GB60 test was linked I'll link the Purifi. Should sim them all up and see which model best in you available volume. The Purifi is definitely the lowest distortion wise but it might not be an audible difference when used as a dedicated midbass.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The audisons do not look like they will provide even average midbass. Only 5.4 mm xmax and they look like they start to roll off at 180 hz or so.

The frogs advertise 9 mm linear and roll off below 100 hz, although erinH measured them at less than that (scroll down to “bottom line” for discussion):

·
Super Moderator
901 Posts
I have a set on sale if you'd like to find out...

Reactions: 420tabbycat

·
Registered
555 Posts
Getting great midbass in the car doesn't require finding a midbass driver that you can use as a subwoofer in the door with a silly low crossover point. 50Hz isn't midbass. You also don't need to put the midbass driver in a box, because your high pass filter will essentialy have the same effect.

the key for great midbass is a speaker that doesn't make much distortion, a crossover point above the free air resonance of the speaker and getting the phase of the crossover right.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Getting great midbass in the car doesn't require finding a midbass driver that you can use as a subwoofer in the door with a silly low crossover point. 50Hz isn't midbass. You also don't need to put the midbass driver in a box, because your high pass filter will essentialy have the same effect.

the key for great midbass is a speaker that doesn't make much distortion, a crossover point above the free air resonance of the speaker and getting the phase of the crossover right.
To get the best out of a midbass in a Jeep Wrangler is to fab door pods. I know this for a fact. My last 5 jeeps I’ve done many options. Anyone who knows about a Jeep understand there is no option to use the door itself. I’ve tried many midbass drivers in my pods first with frogs then several others. Even the utopia 6.5 m’s. To date the frogs work the best. But was always curious about the audison.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I just wish I had the extra cash to experience a set of frogs....instead I have to scrape by with some elcheapo silverflutes.....you guys are lucky you can afford high end equipment like that! I guess its ok at this point because i've never heard frogs or audison so i dont know what I'm missing!

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I just wish I had the extra cash to experience a set of frogs....instead I have to scrape by with some elcheapo silverflutes.....you guys are lucky you can afford high end equipment like that! I guess its ok at this point because i've never heard frogs or audison so i dont know what I'm missing!
Good, better, best.. all drivers are subject to the same things... how good they are installed & tuned. Yes, some are easier when they naturally follow a desired curve when installed correctly, but depending upon expectations (not desiring gobs below 80hz from the doors is a good start), you can carefully tune other drivers to be satisfactory in their duty. So the keys here are expectation & ability to tune as long as you're not using junk drivers or are way out of application.

Ironically, my favorite mids to this day are a pair of buyouts from P.E. that tested and played very well enough to keep around despite trying far costlier items.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
498 Posts
Good, better, best.. all drivers are subject to the same things... how good they are installed & tuned. Yes, some are easier when they naturally follow a desired curve when installed correctly, but depending upon expectations (not desiring gobs below 80hz from the doors is a good start), you can carefully tune other drivers to be satisfactory in their duty. So the keys here are expectation & ability to tune as long as you're not using junk drivers or are way out of application.

Ironically, my favorite mids to this day are a pair of buyouts from P.E. that tested and played very well enough to keep around despite trying far costlier items.

Well my flutes are the best sounding midbass i've ever experienced and I installed professionally for over a decade and I used to test products for different companies, give my feed back and write reviews on stuff......but ever since the first time I saw the frogs, I've been intrigued. i wish i knew someone that had some in their car so I could take a listen. What I have now may sound like junk compared to them, but I know no difference at this point. I can't help but think about a few experiences in my life i've had that relate to this......you get what you pay for kind of thing.... One experience was, for the longest, I'd buy $10-$20 sunglasses and talk smack about people spending $200 on a set of ray ban, oakley etc....then one day I got a nice bonus at work and decided i'd treat myself to some carbon ray bans....wow...I didnt know what I was missing! I still have those glasses to this day and that was over a decade ago! One day I may end up with some of these high end frogs...I really like the way they are built and the good things i've read about them....just right now I'll have to be happy with what I have until things start looking better with the economy/pandemic. It's affected me a good bit.

what mids are you referring to that are your favorite?

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
what mids are you referring to that are your favorite?
A set of 6.5" Jamo. They're long gone but were tested by Zaph. Response & distortion are wayyy above what one would expect. The only con is they don't handle a lot of power, but that's subjective.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts