DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive got a Gb25 midrange and a SI M25 tweeter. Im kinda trying to think of the best install spots for sound quality specifically. To avoid reflections as much as possible, while keeping width.

I dont have room for both the midrange and the tweeter to be next to each other unless i do pods. Which i just..hate the look of. Plus the midrange would be inside the a-pillar width wise and that just cant be great for staging.

So my thoughts have been, keep the midrange wide and the tweeter location can be compromised because stage width cues are far more ITD dominant. Tweeters being almost if not entirely in the IID realm, at least in a 3 way config.

I'm having a hard time kind deciding on a location.

So this is what pod location would look like.

I have room in the sail panel area for either of the drivers. I could prob get them to both to fit via the sail panel area but it'd be a little tricky and there would prob be a pretty harsh immediate reflection off the the dash curve for at least one of the drivers.

Other options would be Midrange in the sail and the tweeter on the dash in a waveguide akin to what i used a long time ago that gave an extremely smooth response. I'd obviously do a much better job making them look nice this time around though. :p

Thoughts?

· Premium Member
2016 Mazda 6 GT
2,520 Posts
Mids firing up in dash corners do-able? And tweeters either on a-pillar or sail panels but I prefer a-pillars.

· Premium Member
2016 Mazda 6 GT
2,520 Posts
You’ll get some corner loading effect with a little more output from what I understand. My car came with locations there but I see Peter doing a lot of dash corner installs and also Nick just did some in his Volvo. @SkizeR

Reactions: audiodelic

· Premium Member
2016 Mazda 6 GT
2,520 Posts
I'll answer for Nick... The latter.

· Banned
24,246 Posts
That's what Matt said too. Do you mean on axis or cut into the dash and upfire?
Matts is closer to what your picture shows, but not quite that angled. Mine is firing straight up. His tweeters are also angled a bit more than mine, but I try to keep my car a bit more under the radar. Our clients don't want to see crazy pods that don't make sense in their cars/situation.

· Premium Member
2016 Mazda 6 GT
2,520 Posts
Matts is closer to what your picture shows, but not quite that angled. Mine is firing straight up. His tweeters are also angled a bit more than mine, but I try to keep my car a bit more under the radar. Our clients don't want to see crazy pods that don't make sense in their cars/situation.
Where are your tweeters Nick? If in a-pillar, post a pic please.

· Banned
24,246 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
So ive got a Gb25 midrange and a SI M25 tweeter. Im kinda trying to think of the best install spots for sound quality specifically. To avoid reflections as much as possible, while keeping width.

I dont have room for both the midrange and the tweeter to be next to each other unless i do pods. Which i just..hate the look of. Plus the midrange would be inside the a-pillar width wise and that just cant be great for staging.
Hey, Jscoyne... we all understand the struggle!

Just one thought that occurred to me (that you might already know). I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'mid-range inside the a-pillar 'width wise,'" but I imagine you mean flush on the a-pillar surface? Depending on the frequency range it'll be playing, that might not necessarily be a bad way to go. If you have access to the frequency response on- and off-axis at different angles, you might see that the response in that frequency band doesn't require that the speaker be 'on-axis'--i.e., pointed at you. If the speaker plays well off-axis (i.e., flush-mounted) up to the point that you're 'handing it off' to the tweeter, I imagine you could mount them that way and not regret it.

Just a thought!

· Registered
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you ever get around to trying this out?
Yea it's in and installed. But haven't gotten it hooked up yet.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.