DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering going active.

I have a pair of CA18RNX sitting here in boxes.
I'm either gonna sell them, or buy some LPG 25NFA tweeters and use them to try an active setup.

I'm currently running Oz 180CS passive.
The system sounds good. Horns and voices are great, the mids blend well with the IDQ. Mids in well-dampened doors with deflex pads. Tweeters in a-pillars. With a little TA, I have a center windshield voice, sax, etc. for the driver. 90 percent of audio is heard above the dash.

The overall may be a bit ?restricted, not as open as could be. Since the CA18 are warm, I'm not sure if there'll be much of a difference.

I'm simply curious.

For now, I'd disconnect the IDQ and use the Zed Drac to run the components. Xovers via 9815. If I like the Seas/LPG setup over the Oz, then I'd get another amp.

I haven't tried the Oz set active yet. I may try that as well.

Anyone here heard both sets? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I would stick with the Seas+LPG combo...

btw, what sound deaden is that?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cascade Audio

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you're still using 1/2" baffles in your Focus doors, be ready to make new ones for the CA18RNX. I've added layers of various materials to mine, taking them up to 3/4", and it still touches the window.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting.
What year Focus do you have?
I have a 2001 Wagon.

I measured 3 1/8" without any dampening material at the shallow point.
My CA18RNX measure 3 1/16"- 3 3/32" depth.

I figured 2 layers of material would work.

Needless to say, it's a tight fit. ;)

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
If you do end up selling the CA18s, I want first dibs mane...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No problem.
I'll let you know.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 2002 wagon.

When I first installed with a spacer slightly thicker than 1/2", it worked fine.

I checked again a few hours later and then the window would go down very slowly once it reached the woofer. It does go down, since it only touches the rounded bump at the back of the woofer.

I figured adding a few layers of dampening material would be enough to solve the problem, but it didn't. And I've been careful not to compress the dampening material when tightening the screws.

:confused:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Woah, forget what I've just said. I've taken out the woofer and the window still slows down half-way down.

Something to do with dampening the window's "rail".

:D

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oops! Good catch.

Let me know how the setup sounds.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey robert. Good to see you're here too =) Did you end up using the mids?

btw, i'm still considering your offer. I'm as tight on time as you've been, apparently. I hope i have some precedence over other people who might want them :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, they're still sitting in the boxes.

I think my bigger concern is if I want a second amp, and where to install it. We'll see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts