DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was in the middle of doing my door sound deadening/sealing and I really wanted to use threaded rivet inserts (rivnuts) to actually attach the hole-sealing panels to the door skin to enable me to use machine screws to keep it all in place. This way, should the window motor ever need servecing or whatever else, I could easily remove and reattach the panels without tearing up the metal with sheet screws.

Anyway, so I went out and bought a Rivnut Tool by Surebonder - MAN what a piece of trash. The mandrels were not nearly long enough and I was basically able to install like 4 rivets before the threads stripped on the 10-32 mandrel I was using rendering it a $40 paperweight. Needless to say I was very upset about this - nor did I want to go out and spend $80+ on a nicer Rivnut Tool considering I am planning on doing maybe 8-10 other inserts and then not again for a loooong time.

So I thought I would share this link I found when researching my options. Total price <$5 - maybe even free depending on what you have laying around in your tool box/garage.
Make a rivet nut / rivnut / riv-nut tool
Seems like the result will be better then using most tools out there except the professional (read: expensive) models, and a stripped mandrel is as easy to replace as getting another machine bolt.

Happy DIYing!

Posting from work, so need this disclaimer:
"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

·
Registered
465 Posts
If you are looking to do just a few that looks like a great idea. I use them a lot, so I have several different tools and have found that as with most tools, you get what you pay for. I have had fantastic luck with the nutsert tools sold at Mobile Solutions. This nutsert tool is one of my favorites.

New “Nutsert” Kit

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
That is a pretty cool trick you found. I love using rivnuts when something needs to be capable of being removed and did exactly what you did on my door panels. They are a great way of bolting enclosures down too (just make sure you still don't hit the fuel tank when drilling the pilot hole ;)).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts