DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have three Alpine Type R 8 inch subs in a 1.17 cu sealed enclosure. My 8’s are being fed by a Massive Audio N4 and are seeing approximately 325 watts each. They play extremely loud without any distortion and after having them for 6 months, I'd have to say I'm satisfied with their performance.

Now hear comes my question. As with most 8 inch subs, sometimes you don't get that low bass extension. I know that getting this extension could be accomplished by going with a ported enclosure. However, I don't have the space for a ported box (my box is located in the spare tire well of my 370z). Keeping that in mind, I've been contemplating going with 2 Alpine 10 inch Type R thins in a 1.0 cu ft sealed enclosure. I'd be throwing about 500 watts at each sub. I'm figuring with the additional power and diameter of the subs, I should get deeper and stronger bass than my current setup. If I went with the two 10's, would I be taking a step back?

Also, I have Dynaudio Esotecs 6.5 components (being fed by a massive audio NX4) for my my front stage and just like the type r 8's, I'm happy with their performance. However, I'd like a little more oomph from the midbass. I've been looking at Focal KRX3's and HAT L6SE's. Do you think the Focals or HAT's would outperform the Esotecs in terms of providing more impact?

Your insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
781 Posts
By all accounts ported is much preferred. Have you considered trying to do 2 of the 8's ported rather than 3 sealed?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By all accounts ported is much preferred. Have you considered trying to do 2 of the 8's ported rather than 3 sealed?
Never thought about going ported with two 8's. However, wouldn't two sealed 10's outperform two ported 8's?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Oops... Each 8 would be approx. 50 sq inches (150 total) vs. approx 78 sq inches or (157 sq in) total for the 10's. I was recalling it from memory (which apparently doesn't improve with age :) )

So, two tens would be ever so slightly bigger. The excursion difference between the 8s and 10s will certainly be different

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oops... Each 8 would be approx. 50 sq inches (150 total) vs. approx 78 sq inches or (157 sq in) total for the 10's. I was recalling it from memory (which apparently doesn't improve with age :) )

So, two tens would be ever so slightly bigger. The excursion difference between the 8s and 10s will certainly be different
This information is very helpful, thanks. I believe the excursion of the subs are the key.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sealed vs. Sealed, the T10s are going to drop lower and have more "weight" to them, which I think is what you are feeling you lack in your current setup.

Overall SPL should be similar 50hz up, but down low the T10s should take it in terms of perceived depth and weight.

Xmax on the two subs is almost identical, while mechanical clearance/throw is with 1mm of each other.

Jim

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Never thought about going ported with two 8's. However, wouldn't two sealed 10's outperform two ported 8's?
You can approximately find the SPL performance with WinISD. Load the T/S parameters into it, then setup two projects, one for ported box with 2 8s and other for sealed box with two thins. I suspect both will play pretty loud for SQ oriented bass.

·
Registered
483 Posts
2 vented R8s will handily beat 2 sealed T10s in output capability. I have tested a vented R8 side by side with a sealed T12 and it can actually keep up with the 12"er.

Note that they will not handle the abuse as well (2 1.5" coils vs. 2 4" coils), but they'll still take a pretty good beating.

Jim

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2 vented R8s will handily beat 2 sealed T10s in output capability. I have tested a vented R8 side by side with a sealed T12 and it can actually keep up with the 12"er.

Note that they will not handle the abuse as well (2 1.5" coils vs. 2 4" coils), but they'll still take a pretty good beating.

Jim
Hey Jim,

I was hoping that you would chime in, thanks! From what I can gather from your statement above and the spec sheets for the R8's and T10's, the T10's will take more of a beating. Is my assumption correct? The T10's will see 500watts each in 1.0 cu ft sealed enclosure. I believe this would be ideal and well within the limits of the T10's capabilities. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hey Jim,

I was hoping that you would chime in, thanks! From what I can gather from your statement above and the spec sheets for the R8's and T10's, the T10's will take more of a beating. Is my assumption correct? The T10's will see 500watts each in 1.0 cu ft sealed enclosure. I believe this would be ideal and well within the limits of the T10's capabilities. What are your thoughts?
That box is a little big for them, given you are used to a snappy 3x8" setup. I'd go with 0.4 gross for each one and let it rip. Should still dig plenty low and take up very little space.

The T10s will take more power than R8s, but the R8s can stand up to some abuse as well so with 1kW, its a wash on power handling.

Jim

·
Registered
238 Posts
Are you experienced with ported enclosures?

Even though they have more output and play louder, I find they are not as tight and personally, they don't please my ear as much as a sealed setup.

I would hate for you to go ported and lose that sealed tightness you are used to with your 8's.

I think a pair of 10's is a great idea, but I would personally stay sealed.

In the end, all that matters is what you like, but I would hate for you to be disappointed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts