DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

181 - 200 of 453 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Next on to the sub box..

First, I wanted to do an inverted setup as I do not feel one should hide
nice looking baskets AND I wanted complete, separate airspace for each sub, not 2 subs in one enclosure.
each box is EXACTLY .8010 airspace

2 boxes glued and bolted together

covered with body filler

Sanded down smooth

This tool is the greatest way to install tornado nuts and make them solid.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Next, Covered in carpet and tried a sheet of carbon fiber vinyl (smooth, glossy)

Did not like the way it looked, plus I wanted to do some cool stuf with finishing trim, so I tore off the carpet on the front of the box and put a sheet of dry look carbon fiber vinyl on.. MUCH better.

Now onto making the tray for the Leviathan amp.. This is the one that will flip up to access the spare.

Dynaliner on top of rear deck. This is where sub box will sit.
put it there to prevent any wood to wood contact.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #183 (Edited)
Ok, cleaned up the wiring and added (2) small pieces of hardwood
for supports on each side of the trunk. The Kronos amps will sit directly above these. I also covered them in 1/8 dynaliner as well.
If you noticed, I also carpeted the spare tire well also.

Techflex and shrink wrap and added amp turn on leads.

Added a new trunk light to illuminate "groceries and shit"
Light still turns on when trunk is open. I added switch to defeat
so one can see the light show once it is in place (more to come on that)

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Next unto a small side project..

I wanted to put some fill BEHIND the subs and make it look good.
It started out with a piece of 3/8 plexi and I dropped some NO-WRAP carbon fiber vinyl on back (It actually had a cool silver CF look and a Hertz sticker on front. I lined the edges with blue LED strips.

Cut out a piece of MDF 1/2 to fit the bill and wrapped in same dry CF vinyl as sub box. Mounted the plexi to the opening.. Turned out REAL nice and as you will see a little later on, fit the bill perfectly.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #186 (Edited)
Alright.. I needed to make an extention RCA so that I could get one connection from the right to the left and I also added the remaining wiring for the trunk lighting

Ok, base in trunk, ends replaced with hardwood.

It might not look like much room, but the spare come out easily
and I am mounting velcro strips under the rack to the left and right of tire to hold the jack & gear.

Alright, lets get the sub box & amps in place and bolted down (the pictures here are BEFORE I changed the CF wrap on the sub box)
The small wires you see in the amp areas are for the trim panel lighting

Notice I wrapped the rear seat belt catch in CF wrap also..

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #187 (Edited)
Amp wired (RCAs not quite yet) and acoustic fill inplace (70% of required fill for .801 box volume)
Also, notice the trunk lip is covered in CF vinyl as well to match sub box.

Finally.. trim plate in place and subs mounted with light effect on..

Everything past this point is trim and I will have pics up of that shortly, just been to damn cold outside..

Also, some tech notes:
Subs are wired IN phase (+ to +, - to -)
I used monster coax and compression connectors to make RCA extension
Sub wiring is 10ga.

When the trim is done, Ill post the how to as well.. as the finish is the first impression of any install

·
Registered
587 Posts
Your trunk looks very fast. :p

Seriously, well done! Look forward to reading about how much you enjoy the sound of it all.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
Your trunk looks very fast. :p

Seriously, well done! Look forward to reading about how much you enjoy the sound of it all.
Not that the trim matters, but the sound is amazing.. I have been tuning it post running the P99 auto tune feature and so far I am very pleased with the results. I have the gains set about 1/3, which i KNOW can go higher. After I get done with the trim and clean up an interior thing or 2, I will get the gains set with the scope, then I should be good to go. But for now, the clarity and sound that the hertz speakers put out is absolutely amazing.. as well as deafening.. :D Go class D!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Great looking and I'm sure great sounding system as well. Your attention to detail is amazing and that idea for the CF vinyl is awesome as well.

It looks like you had a lot of fun building and designing the system. I hope it sounds better than you expect. Great job!

It's a lot of fun reading your build log.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That is one of the best installs that I have seen in awhile. I hope you put up a vid so we can get a feel of how it sounds. I no vids don't do SQ that much justice but it can give a idea. Great work and looking forward to the pics and maybe a vid.

181 - 200 of 453 Posts