DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys/gals,
I am in the process of setting up my new processor and I forgot how to do the time alignment calculations to get it just right. I looked up the formulas but there are a bunch of them and I don't know which one to use. Also, do I need to mess with the "balance" (L&R) settings if I get the time alignment setup correctly?

Any information or linkage to set this up will be greatly appreciated. If it matters, I am setting up a three way active + sub using a MiniDSP 2x8.

·
Registered
510 Posts
bah, i never got that method to work from my HU's settings.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Grab a tape measure and a BitOne?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone know where can I grab the audio files? The link is broken on the TA method post mentioned above.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Been using this methods for a long time....aligning sub to the midbass is easier...u can detect the doppler effect quite easy....but aligning the mid bass to the mid doesnt seems to work really well with my ears....using correlated pink noise the mid and midbass seems to already align...but playing some CDs the male's voice seems to always tilted toward the driver side (especially songs from FM radio), no matter how many times i used this method the same result will happened...but with some songs its centred...

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I prefer to setup time alignment by ear using normal music. Find a couple of tracks with clear, centered vocals. One for male voice and another for female. If you have passive crossovers, simply keep delaying the signal of the speaker closest to your ear until the vocals start drifting from the left side towards the center of the dash board. Back out a little if you have added too much delay. It will take some time to find the right setting, but the result is a decent.

If you run active, then the same applies, except that now you should be able to add time delay to the tweeter and woofer separately from each other. I prefer to turn off the tweeters, and then do the TA for the woofers. Mark the spot on the dash where the vocal information is seemingly coming from. Now turn off the woofers and turn on the tweeters. Do the same for the tweeters, but turn up their volume to hear vocal information through them. Make sure that the location of perceived center of the sound stage is at the spot that was previously marked. Once again, it may take some time for things to settle down and provide consistent imaging, but the results are good and better than what you get with the passives.

I have tried using the precision time alignment tutorial but I still haven't figured out what to listen for. BTW, the link to the pink noise track was dead the last time I tried to download it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
What I did was different because my HU uses distance instead of calculate ms unit delay so I'll just measure the distance and put in the HU, then fine tune it later . Alignment for a 3 way is a bit tricky, I'd highly recommend do one pair of speaker at a time tweet, mid , midbass then align tweet to mid, mid to midbass. Time alignment concept took me months to figure out and you probably need to listen to somebody with a properly tuned car to hear the effect then you can go figure it out in your car.

Listening to pink noise track and tune is impossible for me because I can't hear anything.

I have used this track here to tune so I hope you find it useful .

13 XLO Burning Left Right Balance.wav

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I prefer to setup time alignment by ear using normal music. Find a couple of tracks with clear, centered vocals. One for male voice and another for female. If you have passive crossovers, simply keep delaying the signal of the speaker closest to your ear until the vocals start drifting from the left side towards the center of the dash board. Back out a little if you have added too much delay. It will take some time to find the right setting, but the result is a decent.

If you run active, then the same applies, except that now you should be able to add time delay to the tweeter and woofer separately from each other. I prefer to turn off the tweeters, and then do the TA for the woofers. Mark the spot on the dash where the vocal information is seemingly coming from. Now turn off the woofers and turn on the tweeters. Do the same for the tweeters, but turn up their volume to hear vocal information through them. Make sure that the location of perceived center of the sound stage is at the spot that was previously marked. Once again, it may take some time for things to settle down and provide consistent imaging, but the results are good and better than what you get with the passives.

I have tried using the precision time alignment tutorial but I still haven't figured out what to listen for. BTW, the link to the pink noise track was dead the last time I tried to download it.
Best tuning info placed in Lay Man's Terms. Take this under Strong Advisement!

·
Registered
138 Posts

Do you have some tracks which you commonly use. I would love to just follow your method using a song which worked for you with regards to clear centered vocals.

Thanks sent

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Do you have some tracks which you commonly use. I would love to just follow your method using a song which worked for you with regards to clear centered vocals.

Thanks sent
That's a good question. I'd say probably not. Scratch the advise of using music tracks. Why? If you don't get a consistent result will it be because of your cars acoustics, tuning or the tuning track itself? I don't know. Better yet, get the IASCA CD trakcs 1-8.. They were posted on SQ recordings thread. Just use the tracks with normal human speech. The tracks 1 and 2 (the left-right testing track, where she says "my voice is centered, no part of my voice should come from other channels, etc). This should be good enough. In my experience, this does not result in 100% consistently centered sound stage on all music. Sometimes I can hear things pulling to left or right. It's hard to say whether its tuning or car acoustics etc. In some recordings vocals were not meant to be always centered, sometimes special effects are applied, and in live music recordings closed room echos, etc could also sometimes confuse things.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Great advise ZAKOH. I have not set the time alignment on my 3 way system yet. I understand your method. The instructions with my HU are not working for me. I will let you know how your way worked. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am convinced that the time alignment formula DOES NOT WORK well. Your ears with the right technique work better, MUCH better.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's a good question. I'd say probably not. Scratch the advise of using music tracks. Why? If you don't get a consistent result will it be because of your cars acoustics, tuning or the tuning track itself? I don't know. Better yet, get the IASCA CD trakcs 1-8.. They were posted on SQ recordings thread. Just use the tracks with normal human speech. The tracks 1 and 2 (the left-right testing track, where she says "my voice is centered, no part of my voice should come from other channels, etc). This should be good enough. In my experience, this does not result in 100% consistently centered sound stage on all music. Sometimes I can hear things pulling to left or right. It's hard to say whether its tuning or car acoustics etc. In some recordings vocals were not meant to be always centered, sometimes special effects are applied, and in live music recordings closed room echos, etc could also sometimes confuse things.
Yes, you can absolutely use regular music tracks for time alignment if you use the right technique. Check out the link in my signature to find out how.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts