DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time alignment has always been one of my favorite things to experiment with. of courses there’s the textbook method of measuring to set delays and it usually works well. but i’m always ready for the next experiment/headache and am curious if you guys have any unorthodox ways of aligning drivers/phase. i want to hear my system do something new!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I was messing around with this method:

Basically you intentionally add some amount of delay to a driver relative to another and measure the difference between two peaks. For example, take a tweeter and mid, add 10 ms of delay to the mid, measure the impulse response and observe the difference between the two. Take the difference and subtract your intentional delay. The remainder is the amount of delay you can correct for.

Now all that said, measuring distance perfectly fine. I'm not sure why you wouldn't use it. I was only doing this because I'm running one DSP into another and I wasn't sure if there is additional delay due to processing between the two when daisy chained in this manner.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
305 Posts
I recently used the "Delay Finder" tool within the AudioTools iOS app, and found it to be more accurate (ie: better sounding result) than both my 80PRS' auto setup as well as my manual measurement settings.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've enjoyed using the nulling method. Works really good for getting the sub up front.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've enjoyed using the nulling method. Works really good for getting the sub up front.

nice i’m seeing a ton about this method i’m excited to try it this weekend!!

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I'm constantly surprised that so many people really don't understand delay and its appropriate use.
Why are you surprised after all these years, Andy? There's a new child born into the car audio & DSP world every day, and it's not quite baked into our genetic memory yet. :p

Maybe post another LINK to "understanding delay and its appropriate use" with your random bewildered comments and there may be one or two fewer from here on out. ;)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Why are you surprised after all these years, Andy? There's a new child born into the car audio & DSP world every day, and it's not quite baked into our genetic memory yet. :p

Maybe post another LINK to "understanding delay and its appropriate use" with your random bewildered comments and there may be one or two fewer from here on out. ;)
There's a series of posts about this on our website and it's explained in detail in another big doc I wrote that's also available for download.

The problem isn't that there are new people every day. The problem is that there are soooooooooooo many "notable experts" who don't understand how it works.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
There's a series of posts about this on our website and it's explained in detail in another big doc I wrote that's also available for download.

The problem isn't that there are new people every day. The problem is that there are soooooooooooo many "notable experts" who don't understand how it works.
People are lazy, Andy. With the proliferance of social media these days, sadly, you gotta post LINKS otherwise 83% of the people reading this and other posts won't follow through to your website or the information. And IMO, Facebook is too "casual" and just doesn't have the "sticking power".

If you REALLY want to reach people, you gotta follow your son's advice and get over your reluctance to make and post YouTube videos on these topics.

If you're sincere and humble about it and can resist talking down to people, you'll make great inroads towards both informational/educational and marketing/sales goals. If you don't, well, you're ignoring and dismissing a SIGNIFICANT tool.

Times have changed, mate. Their aren't any more car audio magazines that people used to anticipate and get all of their "inside info" from. It's YouTube! Again, I think that Facebook only takes you so far.

Even if you turn off the YouTube comments section and refer people to your website or Facebook (with a LINK in the video's description) for more information, it would be worthwhile.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts