DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
18,484 Posts
I'm torn. Do we get mad at them for (seemingly) gouging us on prices? Do we get mad at them for having a (very) profitable business? Isn't the latter the 'dream'?

If we cap oilmakers, where do we cap everyone else who owns a business?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Yeah, pitchforks to our government for not allowing nuclear energy to be built, and for not investing more money into alternative energy research. Don't blame the oil company, we are hooked on it, and they know it. If you don't like their profits, don't buy the product. That's how the free market economy works.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
In addition to making hefty profits, Exxon also had a hefty tax bill. Worldwide, the company paid $10.5 billion in income taxes in the second quarter, $9.5 billion in sales taxes, and over $12 billion in what it called "other taxes."
Other Taxes? What does that entail?

On a side note....anyone see gas drop a good 20 cents in your area in the last few weeks?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I'm torn. Do we get mad at them for (seemingly) gouging us on prices? Do we get mad at them for having a (very) profitable business? Isn't the latter the 'dream'?

If we cap oilmakers, where do we cap everyone else who owns a business?
It's not like they are even the only one charging those prices...with gas it's more like a going rate geographically. If Exxon charged a shit ton more than everyone else no one would buy gas there. If Exxon is charged with any fault, so should every other gas company. The only difference is that Exxon is a better run company so they are benefiting from the current pricing more than anyone else. I say good for them.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
On a side note....anyone see gas drop a good 20 cents in your area in the last few weeks?
filled up for $3.85 a few days ago. that's down from like $3.98 a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Other Taxes? What does that entail?

I saw that, BUT premium is WAY higher. Saw a station this morning

3.69/gal regular

$3.99/gal mid

$4.29! for premium????? I don't get it.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts

3.69/gal regular

$3.99/gal mid

makes me glad my engine runs just fine on regular. pushrod v8 ftw!

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,355 Posts
Exxon in my area has the most expensive stations. Today i did my weekly fill for $3.73/gal for regular.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Exxon in my area has the most expensive stations. Today i did my weekly fill for $3.73/gal for regular.
i refuse to give exxon my money. my engine knocks on their gas anyway. the shell closest to my house gets my money.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Yeah, pitchforks to our government for not allowing nuclear energy to be built, and for not investing more money into alternative energy research.
It's the fucking tree huggers that freaked about nuke with the Three Mile Island incident, not a single plant has been made since then and onlly half of those in build were completed! ONE reactor of a 2 reactor plant near me got completed!

Now the hippies are changing their stance a bit and moving over to promoting nuke energy,,, go figure :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,438 Posts

3.69/gal regular

$3.99/gal mid

Woah, that's odd...I'm on premium as well in the IS300 so I feel ya. But my prices seem to be proportionate still. Everything has gone down about 20cents or more. I caught regular at a QT station yesterday for 3.69

·
Registered
778 Posts
It's the fucking tree huggers that freaked about nuke with the Three Mile Island incident, not a single plant has been made since then and onlly half of those in build were completed! ONE reactor of a 2 reactor plant near me got completed!

Now the hippies are changing their stance a bit and moving over to promoting nuke energy,,, go figure :rolleyes:

Not only that, but wasn't it new york that completely filled a finished nuclear plant with concrete so nothing from it could ever be salvaged? a billion dollars down the drain..

What I didn't get about 3 mile island was, atleast according to what I have read, it showed that the safety precautions worked. No damage was done.

·
Registered
228 Posts
To put things in perspective, $11.68b profits on $138b revenues translates into a 8.5% profit margin, which happens to be the about average profit of all U.S. manufacturing (minus the auto industry). Profits on a % basis are actually down from the same quarter last year.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Not only that, but wasn't it new york that completely filled a finished nuclear plant with concrete so nothing from it could ever be salvaged? a billion dollars down the drain..
Saddening, we just have the pad built here. I can't remember who it was N Korea? Recently demolished a nuke because we feared they were enriching Uranium there, now WE are saying another country cannot have Nuke Energy even though we have sats that will tell you how many freckles are on your face. WTF? They had an ENERGY GENERATING PLANT and it's gone.

What I didn't get about 3 mile island was, atleast according to what I have read, it showed that the safety precautions worked. No damage was done.
Yep, everything worked, I believe SOME radiation was released but no more detrimental than 1/2 of a dental X-Ray or a day in the son for those worst hit.

Then SOMEONE will bring up Chernobyl, not even a comaprison, it had NO containment vessel other than a Pole Barn/Morton building, and they were being completely ignorant in test procedures, what happened there would NEVER happen here with our NEC protocol. ONE person is responsible for that incident while others questioned his judgement, but in that regime of politics you don't question your superiors, evn though common sense and technology speaks otherwise.

I have friends that work at the local plant, one of which is a safety guru and VERY knowledgable, the whole anti Nuke Energy thing hits me in a soft spot.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Bastards!! I'm still paying 3.94 for regular -- and it's that ethanol laced shit, not the good "pure" stuff!!
that's what we have here. my gas gauge is definately moving a little faster.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts