Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Consider something else

Votes: 4 66.7%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it has come time that I want to rebuild the system in my 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart. I have basically gotten sick of piecing together a system that got started on the wrong foot, so now with my tax return and a semester nearing an end, I think it is a good time to start my thinking process.

This is my current system:
  • Headunit: Alpine CDA-117 (R)
  • Amplifiers: Massive Audio N4 (R) & Vibe Audio LiteBox Stereo 4 (R)
  • Mids & Highs: Energy ENC650CV2 6.5" Components
  • Subwoofers: TWO 12" Fi Audio SSD Dual 1 Ohm

R = Being Reused in the Rebuild.

My main goal here now is to choose which subwoofers to use in the rebuild. Basically I have narrowed it down to, but still open to other options, Sundown's SA-8v2 and Alpine's Type-R 8. I want to go with an 8-inch (whether it be one or two) because I am trying to conserve as much room as possible; my Fi's take up so much room in their 5.1 ft^3 vented box that I can only get my ice scraper in the trunk. Also, the 8-inch drivers being developed nowadays are just badass so I see nothing wrong with moving down into that small of driver.

Which ever driver(s) I choose will be ran in a vented box, from 25Hz - 80Hz, and will be playing anything from techno, hip-hop, metal, country, swing, and just about everything in the middle.

They will be accompanied by Dayton Audio's RS180-4 playing from 80Hz - 200/250Hz, and Fountek's FR88-EX playing from 200/250Hz and up (Just in case someone was wondering). These drivers are subject to change, but not likely too.

To summarize, what would you guys do in my position, based off what I gave you? Would you use Sundown, Alpine, or would you choose something completely different? If you would do something else, please let me know so I can consider that option as well.

Thanks in advanced for everyone's input,
Matt

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Man that's a toughie. I've used larger Type-R drivers before and really enjoyed them... but Sundown makes an amazing subwoofer as well.

I'm leaning towards the Type-R's for cost effectiveness... but wondering if the new SA-8v2 will have more output.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man that's a toughie. I've used larger Type-R drivers before and really enjoyed them... but Sundown makes an amazing subwoofer as well.

I'm leaning towards the Type-R's for cost effectiveness... but wondering if the new SA-8v2 will have more output.
Output is one of the reasons why I am still considering the Sundown because if it wasn't for its 15.8mm Xmax and rated power of 500 watts RMS, I don't think it would succeed against the Alpine, from a cost versus what-you-get point of view.

I can get one Sundown for ~$210 shipped, but I can get a Type-R 8 for ~$100. If I ran 2 Alpines, then it would exceed the Sundowns output. As for future plans, I can see myself adding a second SA-8 which would easily exceed the output of the 2 Type-Rs, but it would be twice the cost (~$400 for 2 Sundowns and ~$200 for 2 Alpines) on something that I don't know how much more I would get (Output of 2 Sundowns compared to the output of the 2 Alpines).

Decisions, decisions...:juggle:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was also going for two 8inch subs in my sedan - chose JL 8w3v3-4 - awesome subs, small enclosures, very tight sound.

Just a thought ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was also going for two 8inch subs in my sedan - chose JL 8w3v3-4 - awesome subs, small enclosures, very tight sound.

Just a thought ;)
I had actually considered the w3 because I have heard good things about them, but not good enough to justify the price tag (in my opinion). The average price I found to ship one of those to me in Newfoundland, Canada is ~$200. And just through a quick specification comparison, the Sundown and the Alpine would be a much better purchase then the JL w3.

Thanks for the input though! I just cannot justify spending $200 on a woofer that, in my opinion, is half as good as the Sundown, or even the Alpine, for the same price.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow, $200 piece would make me reconsider it, too :) Fortunately I paid only about $35 / piece [bnib], so it was well worth it.

I haven't heard the Sundown, but I know the Type R. The 12" are ok, but the smaller they get, the worse they sound, IMHO. The 8s I've heard could've been plagued by bad boxes, but I've seen two installs and they both sucked.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
So it has come time that I want to rebuild the system in my 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart. I have basically gotten sick of piecing together a system that got started on the wrong foot, so now with my tax return and a semester nearing an end, I think it is a good time to start my thinking process.

This is my current system:
  • Headunit: Alpine CDA-117 (R)
  • Amplifiers: Massive Audio N4 (R) & Vibe Audio LiteBox Stereo 4 (R)
  • Mids & Highs: Energy ENC650CV2 6.5" Components
  • Subwoofers: TWO 12" Fi Audio SSD Dual 1 Ohm

R = Being Reused in the Rebuild.

My main goal here now is to choose which subwoofers to use in the rebuild. Basically I have narrowed it down to, but still open to other options, Sundown's SA-8v2 and Alpine's Type-R 8. I want to go with an 8-inch (whether it be one or two) because I am trying to conserve as much room as possible; my Fi's take up so much room in their 5.1 ft^3 vented box that I can only get my ice scraper in the trunk. Also, the 8-inch drivers being developed nowadays are just badass so I see nothing wrong with moving down into that small of driver.

Which ever driver(s) I choose will be ran in a vented box, from 25Hz - 80Hz, and will be playing anything from techno, hip-hop, metal, country, swing, and just about everything in the middle.

They will be accompanied by Dayton Audio's RS180-4 playing from 80Hz - 200/250Hz, and Fountek's FR88-EX playing from 200/250Hz and up (Just in case someone was wondering). These drivers are subject to change, but not likely too.

To summarize, what would you guys do in my position, based off what I gave you? Would you use Sundown, Alpine, or would you choose something completely different? If you would do something else, please let me know so I can consider that option as well.

Thanks in advanced for everyone's input,
Matt
Have you thought about getting two 12" and going Infinite Baffle? Image Dynamics work well IB and IB takes less power to reach full excursion.

Just a thought ;)
The tight sound had nothing to do with the size of the subs. The small enclosures had a lot to do with that.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
ive always said if i had a trunk car i would go IB without a doubt. if i have a trunk car i obviously need the trunk space and u cant beat IB. might spend more on subs but save by not needing a powerful amp

lastly if i didnt go IB i would deff go 10 or 12 ported. the sundown 8s want .6 each ported, so 1.2 ported for two, dayton ho 10 needs .6 dayton ho 12 needs 1.2 and u would get better low end, if nothing else less distortion due to not having to max out the 8s. also $150 for a single 10 or 12 vs $400 for two sundowns

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked into doing IB but I am finding it very intimidating lol. I am much more comfortable doing a boxed woofer. Also being a student makes it hard to experiment, so doing something right the first time is important.

I currently have 2 12" Fi SSDs which require a lot of room in a vented box, but if I went with the 10" Dayton HO, or even a 12" HO, I would save on the room like I wanted to do with the 8" drivers and still be able to keep my low notes. Another thing to think about :(

With keeping the 8" in mind, I am starting to lean towards the Alpines now, mainly because of the cost. I can get them for so cheap that I could do 4 if I wanted for the price of 2 SA-8s lol. Comments?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
idk how set you are on the 8" but i'd go with JL W6 10" im liking mine a lot

CC
For the price of 1 10" JL W6 would get me 2 SA-8v2 or 4 Alpine Type-Rs. Both options with the 8s will offer me more cone area as well. Personally, I don't think I would ever go with a JL subwoofer, they are, again in my opinion, very overpriced for what you get. Yes they are great, but you can get the same or better for less money. Amps are a different story, but woofers no.

4 Alpine Type-R 8s sound nice though, may have to consider that.

·
Super Moderator
5,231 Posts
Fiberglass an enclosure into the corner. Can easily fit one 12" or maybe a 15". And have pretty much the whole trunk still usable. It does require some skill and materials but it's worth it IMO.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fiberglass an enclosure into the corner. Can easily fit one 12" or maybe a 15". And have pretty much the whole trunk still usable. It does require some skill and materials but it's worth it IMO.
A 15" Dayton HO, SA-15, or even a ICON 15 would be pretty bad ass fiberglassed into a corner. Thanks for the idea! Not once has that crossed my mind, surprisingly. This may change everything!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
A 15" Dayton HO, SA-15, or even a ICON 15 would be pretty bad ass fiberglassed into a corner. Thanks for the idea! Not once has that crossed my mind, surprisingly. This may change everything!
do u know how to fiberglass or would u be learning/experimenting?

ps i vote dayton ho 15, thats what i got! :D

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
For the price of 1 10" JL W6 would get me 2 SA-8v2 or 4 Alpine Type-Rs. Both options with the 8s will offer me more cone area as well. Personally, I don't think I would ever go with a JL subwoofer, they are, again in my opinion, very overpriced for what you get. Yes they are great, but you can get the same or better for less money. Amps are a different story, but woofers no.

4 Alpine Type-R 8s sound nice though, may have to consider that.
Off topic but JL's W6 and W7 line get you a lot of subwoofer for the price. Completely worth it IMO, far from overpriced. Show me a sub that combines every quality of the W6/7 line for less money. It sounds like you put more weight in output and are set on an 8" in a sealed box :shrug:so go with the Sundown.

If it were me, I would do a couple of 12s or 15s infinite baffle. There are plenty of cheap subs that will work, materials won't cost you anymore than building a box. You can do the whole thing in a day with basic tools. You'll have at least the same trunk space with a pair of 15s IB than an 8" in a sealed box.

If you're considering 4 8" subs, you're MUCH better off going with a single 15".

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Off topic but JL's W6 and W7 line get you a lot of subwoofer for the price. Completely worth it IMO, far from overpriced. Show me a sub that combines every quality of the W6/7 line for less money. It sounds like you put more weight in output and are set on an 8" in a sealed box :shrug:so go with the Sundown.

If it were me, I would do a couple of 12s or 15s infinite baffle. There are plenty of cheap subs that will work, materials won't cost you anymore than building a box. You can do the whole thing in a day with basic tools. You'll have at least the same trunk space with a pair of 15s IB than an 8" in a sealed box.

If you're considering 4 8" subs, you're MUCH better off going with a single 15".
I agree about the JL statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Off topic but JL's W6 and W7 line get you a lot of subwoofer for the price. Completely worth it IMO, far from overpriced. Show me a sub that combines every quality of the W6/7 line for less money.
i wanna say that I AM NOT trying to start anything. im asking purely based for learning.

how does the say 12w6 outperform the dayton ho 12? 12w6 is 600 rms, dayton is 700(not that it matters both can handle similar power, but spec wise...)

both are proven performers on the klippel

jl 12w6 =$380 sonic electronix
dayton ho 12=$150

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
i wanna say that I AM NOT trying to start anything. im asking purely based for learning.

how does the say 12w6 outperform the dayton ho 12? 12w6 is 600 rms, dayton is 700(not that it matters both can handle similar power, but spec wise...)

both are proven performers on the klippel

jl 12w6 =$380 sonic electronix
dayton ho 12=$150
Spec wise, the 12W6 has more than 4mm more excursion till xmax and I'm guessing here, but the Dayton likely does not come close to the W6's 25mm xmech. I've run them all the way to full excursion, well past xmax and they're silent. No motor or suspension noise. They have a lower Fs which will help out in the efficiency department down low and they're slightly more efficient as well so 700w vs 600w is irrelevent when one sub does more work with less power. It's like my IB15s, they get louder on 200w down low than the W6 does on 500w, efficiency is much better than a higher power rating.

The W6 has never had any sort of QC issues whatsoever. Dayton has. The W6's spider is just about as large as the cone, the suspension is excellent. It Klippeled better than any Dayton product. I ran a pair for 7 years in every type of enclosure including IB where they were practically always past xmax and they were flawless. The HOs have had failures below rated power, the W6s regularly take more than rated power.

Then there's SQ, the 12W6 just plain sounds better period. It might be subjective but I believe the vast majority of people that have heard both will agree and it moves more air as well.

I'm not arguing that there are subs for less that move more air, some that might sound as good, some that might be durable but with these you get the whole package. I look at the high price tag as an investment, you're not likely to feel the need to upgrade and spend more money. I don't have JL subs anymore, I wanted more displacement and I'm very happy with my pair of IB15s but honestly if I had it to do over again after hearing my 12W6 in IB, I would have just bought a 3rd W6 instead of the IB15s.

The Dayton seems to be a great sub for the money, I'm not putting it down at all. I just don't think the JL subs are overpriced if you look at the whole picture, not just one parameter.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Just throwing it out there, I have 4 JBL 8s for sale. You could put all 4 in a box 1/2 the size of the one you have now, or even smaller sealed. hit me up if your interested

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Spec wise, the 12W6 has more than 4mm more excursion till xmax and I'm guessing here, but the Dayton likely does not come close to the W6's 25mm xmech. I've run them all the way to full excursion, well past xmax and they're silent. No motor or suspension noise. They have a lower Fs which will help out in the efficiency department down low and they're slightly more efficient as well so 700w vs 600w is irrelevent when one sub does more work with less power. It's like my IB15s, they get louder on 200w down low than the W6 does on 500w, efficiency is much better than a higher power rating.

The W6 has never had any sort of QC issues whatsoever. Dayton has. The W6's spider is just about as large as the cone, the suspension is excellent. It Klippeled better than any Dayton product. I ran a pair for 7 years in every type of enclosure including IB where they were practically always past xmax and they were flawless. The HOs have had failures below rated power, the W6s regularly take more than rated power.

Then there's SQ, the 12W6 just plain sounds better period. It might be subjective but I believe the vast majority of people that have heard both will agree and it moves more air as well.

I'm not arguing that there are subs for less that move more air, some that might sound as good, some that might be durable but with these you get the whole package. I look at the high price tag as an investment, you're not likely to feel the need to upgrade and spend more money. I don't have JL subs anymore, I wanted more displacement and I'm very happy with my pair of IB15s but honestly if I had it to do over again after hearing my 12W6 in IB, I would have just bought a 3rd W6 instead of the IB15s.

The Dayton seems to be a great sub for the money, I'm not putting it down at all. I just don't think the JL subs are overpriced if you look at the whole picture, not just one parameter.
ill give the jl the xmax

QC is not important as if u have a problem with dayton sub parts express will make it right(tho ive yet to see anyone with any problems. like some guy tried to say something about dayton rs180 jacked up yet couldnt find thread or pic) not to mention u could buy a dayton sub, ship it back for exchange or repair and still be way less than the jl

SQ subjective, not a formal way to compare

i havent sat and compared the klippel results, tho i cant imagine the jl beating the dayton by much

the lower fs, im not knowledgeable enough to say anything other than with winisd at 30hz their the exact same DB

i guess the question is, is the jl worth over twice as much for 4mm xmax and slightly better SQ. i have been impressed with the output of jl subs

anyways back on topic

i really hope he goes IB because i wish i could but i have no trunk lol

4 8s would be unique, which is always a plus, but also might be easier(lower rms) to power a single 10,12,15

1 - 20 of 22 Posts