DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last component of my 12 year old Sony Shelf System died. The speakers connected with traditional spring clips. When installing my brand new Sony MHC-EC709iP (mini hifi), I discovered that it had a modular "telephone/internet" style connector for the speakers and subwoofer. One end is hard-wired to the speaker. The other, which connects to the "amp," is the modular connector. The previous owner of my home had already run wire through the walls and under the floor, so that his speakers, and now mine, had some distance. My question is, is it advisable for me to use the same wire by cutting the cord at the speaker, attaching it to the already installed and run speaker wire, and then attaching the other end of the "in-wall" wire to the wire leading to the modular connector? Sony (of course) wants me to buy a proprietary speaker wire.

·
Registered
235 Posts
any way to test the "installed wire" to see if it is still operational? Or possibly use the "installed wire" to pull new wire, going on the assumption that the installed wire is not stapled to the studs, etc.,

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Wait.. why wouldn't you just use what's already there? Saves you the trouble of running new wire, which is a *****.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd rather not attempt to use the wire to pull more, but I did consider it. My main worry: If I cut the wire, and attach it to the existing wire (which worked with the speakers in my last system (another Sony, but with traditional spring clips), how can I be sure (at the other end) that I've attached + to + and - to -. It's a crap shoot. Do I run serious risk to my system if the volume is set to low and my connections are reversed?

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Not sure if there are any nearby boxes or anything, but here's a trick that might help. On one end, connect one of the speaker wire leads to a ground. Then, go to the other room, and with a simple multimeter determine which lead is grounded.

Alternatively, if you have a 9v battery, hook the two speaker leads in one room up to the battery. Then go to the other room with the multimeter and measure the voltage. +9v will mean that the plus lead on your meter is connected to the + lead of the battery. -9v means the opposite.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
new development with the speaker wire :
I was just looking at the speaker wire in better light. The "in-wall" speaker wire is composed of two insulated wires. They are covered with translucent insulation, but are "silver" and "copper, " not all "copper." Therefore, if I connect red to gold, on the speaker end, and gold to red, on the connector end (and black to silver, etc. on the other), I should have a proper connections. Does this follow?

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Haha you're awfully timid. Yes, it will work as you describe. I highly doubt the wires are swapping colors somewhere in the middle of the wall. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Even if you hook them up backwards you won't hurt them, just won't sound as good. I have done it before with a 50 watt Bryston amp with no problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I connected them with insulated butt connectors. Considering the low guage of both the wires provided with the stereo and the "in-wall" wire it took some muscle to get them closed tightly enough to have the wires stay in the connector. I turned it on and, "viola" sound! Thanks everybody. Now if we can get Sony to give up those stupid modular connectors...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts