DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys iam in the process of building boxes under the front seats of my f30 bmw, iam going to be sealing them up as the car resonates on the low notes coming from the stock enclosure, I have replced the oem crap speaker with a helix flat piston dvc 8, and power it off a 4 channel polk audio class d amp.. 150 watts per driver, I use an ms-8 to control the sound and its 65 hz to 300hz at 24 db per oct... The box iam making will be very small as I can only use the space bmw provides for me........ so to that extent, Can someone give me some recommondations as to a good driver for this set up? either a 8 or 6.5 I don't care as long as it will play those notes in a box no more than .25 sealed.. I have lots of depth almost 5 inches. Please advise.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If I was going to an actual sealed box I would use JBL GTI660 or 670, or Audiofrog GB60, Pretty sure the audiofrogs work in a much smaller box than the JBL.

That said, there are lots of good pretty much drop in replacement for the BMW underseat midbass.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
For an 8 inch, the Audio Development w800neo is shallow, and has the ability to handle a small enclosure. For a 6.5, the gb60 gets my vote. That thing can boogie in a crazy small enclosure

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: oabeieo

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
audio frog gb6 is the speaker I have picked, thanks for the input.. I fiberglassed new enclosures under the seats to gain the 5 inches of depth.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Anu update on this? Just wondering how the GB60 sounds under the seat?
(I may want to try the same thing)

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I ran mine sealed in tiny boxes under the seat from 80Hz to 300Hz with 24dB slopes. It was a VW Jetta. The boxes were placed on top of the carpet for testing. Results were so good I never moved them.

There was zero feedback (vibrations) and it didn't pull the stage. Great playback and staging. Played using MS-A1004 and HD900/5. Never felt like they were under powered. C weighted could easily get into 120's and low 130's. Complimented with Audiofrog GB10D4.
Anu update on this? Just wondering how the GB60 sounds under the seat?
(I may want to try the same thing)
Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not enough volume for the kermits,,,,, gonna try the Rockford bmw t3 bmw subs now.. last attempt, out of money..lol....

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
not enough volume for the kermits,,,,, gonna try the Rockford bmw t3 bmw subs now.. last attempt, out of money..lol....
did you try them? because andy suggests them in the Jeep Wrangler enclosures. i cant see these being smaller.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
The GB60's model at QTC 0.707 at 0.195 cubic feet per driver, or about 5.5 liters. That's pretty damn small.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
My test boxes calculated to .044 cubic feet and sounded great. 24dB slope at 80Hz. 70Hz was good too but created too much tactile feedback.

Dug out the original test box here

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
box was two small for the frogs,, had a massive peak at 90 hz, and no low extention.. box was only 8liters,,, That all I could get I even cut the vents going to the feet in the back of the car.. box was just to small. I gave Andy the specs and he agreed the box wouldn't be optimal.. so I took the oem boxes, and chopped out the bottoms, molded them into the car to gain a bit of space, now the boxes will play as if they were in an infinite baffle. will test the new Rockford sub as soon as I get my orion 425hcca back from getting new rcas...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
fosgate bmw t3 are in,, they work fantastic... so far this is the best option for me out of all the drivers I have tried,, mtx, mb quart, earthquake, peerless, kermits, oem, hertz. they don't hammer the midbass, but at least I can get decent coverage from 60 to 350 hz in my very linear on the rta, but I really love my midbass. unfortunately it wont happen. there is midbass but not MIDBASS! if I give them more input power, the bass stops and its just noise, I can here the car viberate under the door, where the port is, and it just dosnet sound good... But like I said this is the best option, I feel for our f30 cars.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I used JBL C660 GTI in 10 litre box and it perform extremely well, a bit worse in 8 litre sealed and very bad in 5 litre kickpanel.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
As under seat woofers go, a team subtronix bmw 320 has the hole in the floor opened up and a pair of hybrid audio L69 full depth drivers, Paul got rid of the path into the sill as that causes massive resonance issues

1 - 20 of 26 Posts