DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There have been many requests for tips on using the search function. I am going to attempt to help you all out. (words in red will be words you type. Words in blue will be names of text boxes, pull down menus, etc... on the actual page).

Example #1 - finding information on the DIYMA 12" sub

Tip #1 - start very broad and narrow it down as your research gets more specific.
To begin, open the main search page and type the phrase DIYMA into the Key Words box. Click the pull down just below it and select Search Titles Only. Leave all of the default options in the Search By username section and the left half of the Search Options section. The right half of the Search Options field is labeled Search In Forum(s). You can chose to leave the default values or select 1 or multiple forums if you want a more narrowed search. In this example, I will be choosing multiple forums. To do so, left click on the forum labeled DIYMA General, then hold down the CTRL key on your keyboard and at the same time, left click on DIYMA Advanced. When you are finished, click the Search Now button at the bottom of the screen.

As you can see, our general search revealed many many threads based on our search criteria. Don’t be overwhelmed! You can usually skim the first few pages and look over the thread titles to find more info on what you are looking for. After a few minutes of skimming through threads that spark your interest, you should have been able to pick up on the fact that the DIYMA 12 was introduced to the forum by a member called NPDANG. Based on this information, we can go back to the main search page and narrow down our results to only see what NPDANG has written about the sub.

Tip #2 - Narrow down your search a bit.
Go back to the main search page and, again, type the word DIYMA into the Search By Keyword text box. This time, leave the default for Search Entire posts in the pull down menu. Under the Search By Username section, type in the member name NPDANG and select Find Threads Started By User in the pull down menu. Leave the default settings on the left half of the Search Options and select the DIMYA General and DIYMA Advanced in the Search in Forum(s) section. Click the Search Now button

This time you will see the results are much less in quantity, but much closer to what you were looking for. You should now be able to read through the thread titles and find what you are looking for.

Example #2 - finding topics about speaker placement

One topic that seems to come up a lot is speaker placement. Believe it or not, finding information on this topic is not as hard as you might think. Using quotes around your search words can be very useful.

Tip #3 - using quotes in your search
At the main search page, type the "speaker placement" (make sure the quotes are exactly as shown) into the Search by Keywords text box. Select the Search Titles Only in the pull down menu. Leave all other defaults to search the entire forum without any other limitations. Click the Search Now button and observe the results.

As you can see, every topic thread that appeared has both words SPEAKER and PLACEMENT in them. This is a direct result of the quotation marks. If you left the quotes out, the search function would look for threads with either word in the title, not both.

Example #3 - finding every thread with the word VS. in the title

If you have ever wanted to search for a word that is too short for the search function to use. There is a way around it that can be very helpful - wildcards. In this example, we will use wildcards to find every thread that has the word VS. in the title

Tip #4 - Using wildcards to your advantage
At the main search page type VS into the search by keywords text box. Click the search now button and look what happens. You receive an error stating that the search word was not long enough. Go back to the main search page and type in *vs* (make sure the asterisks are typed as shown). Select search titles only in the pull down menu. Leave all other options to default and click the search now button.

The results this time show any thread title with the letters V and S next to each other regardless of what words/letters are in front or after.

All of the tips listed above are all I’ve ever needed to find the information I was looking for. You can use any combination of the tips to help narrow down your searches. If you have any additional tips, please feel free to share them. Hope this helps everyone out a bunch.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Re: Tips on using the SEARCH FUNCTION ****READ

Any way to go back and delete all your old threads??

·
Registered
544 Posts

Perhaps I am wrong, but I just thought unless it was a tutorial, sticky, install, something along those lines, if people could get rid of old threads maybe this forum would be a little faster and more user friendly.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts

Bob, can we get the ability to lock our old FS threads..... I think it would really help with all the bumping of old, old threads

·
Registered
3,861 Posts

Ahhh.....the quotes work.;)

·
Registered
991 Posts

too bad people don't actually put the TOPIC in the TOPIC headline.. You do a search for "tweeter placement" or "tweeter location" & you get "My system question" or "My install log"....

If everyone would be concise in the way they address the TOPIC heading it would be SOOO much easier on everyone.

I use the search feature everyday on here & still end up trolling for 2+ hours to find the answers.

I know the "veterans" get frustrated at the same ?? over & over again, but many people get discouraged when they see a bar of 30+ pages of search results & NOTHING on the first 5 pages is close to their question, based on the TOPIC TITLE. Its the bane of the forum world. For years on automotive forums I have done just like Bob, Search Function Nazi. I was hard core & had no sympathy. Now that I am back in the SQ game after an almost 10 year Hiatus, I have tons of questions for the youngsters who "have no fear" and experiment.

Moderation, toleration, & a little help & empathy is what I have learned. If its covered in a technical manifesto that is part of the intro/read-me first stuff, shame on them. If its something less "basic"... a little help never hurt anyone.

just my 10 cents worth.

Rob
2004 WRX Wagon

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

I saw this on another forum and thought it would fit in this thread very well

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
No update since '08....