DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a set of the SI m3's. I am Trying to decide if I want to swap back to the tm65 mki's for better midbass

Here is the rest of the equipment
2014 F150 crew cab.
Tweeters: SI M25
Mids: SI M3
MidBass: TM65 mkiii's (currently installed)
Sub: JL 10 Tw3
Amps:
Alpine PDX-V9 on sub, tweeters, mids
Alpine PDX-F6 on midbass
(I might go F6 on mids and midbass and then use the v9 to experiment with rear fill just for fun)

Would you switch back to the original tm65's for better midbass performance? I switched to the mkiii's as I was just doing 2 way but am thinking the low end response of the original tm65 would be better than the mkiii's.

Here are the "by the specs" for each:
Original

TM65 6.5″ Woofer
Re 6.8 ohms
Fs 44 Hz
Qes 0.33
Qms 2.12
Qts 0.28
Le 0.82 mH
Sd 14230 mm^2
Vas 17.7 L
Mms 21.3 g
Cms 615.4
BL 10.95
Sensitivity (1w/1m) 89 db
Sensitivity (2.83v/1m) 89.5 db
Xmax 9 mm
Xmech 12 mm

Mkiii's
TM65 6.5 mkIII woofer
Re 3.38 ohms
Fs 98 Hz
Qes 1.14
Qms 3.55
Qts 0.86
Le 0.11 mH
Sd 139.8 cm^2
Vas 3.60 L
Mms 19.7 g
BL 6.0
Sensitivity (2.83v/1m) 90.67 db
Xmax 9 mm
Xmech 13 mm

Here is the FR from the tm65 mkiii's in truck response. I don't have a FR from the original tm65s.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Most if the selling point of the mk3 is rtyat it plays up higher, cleaner to make for a better 2 way install.

That said, what did YOU think of the difference between the two after you did the switch ??

Of course, the tune would likely have to be changed along with the speakers in order to determine which in fact sounded better in your truck!!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I thought the mkiii's seemed to be a little cleaner sounding, but also lacked some in the 50-100hz area and that also shows on the FR. They start dropping fairly fast at their FS of 98hz, but this is due to the truck. If I go near field response, they look close to their published FR.

But I also only had the mki's playing by themselves as my original 360.3 dsp did not work upon install (powered up but no sound out) so I couldn't use the tweeters so that could also be biased by that as well as the time between the switch (At least a week to get all of the install done)

My assumption if I switched would be that the mki's would reach lower and blend with the sub better. But I could also be wrong. I know in my old chevy crew cab they extended right down to 40hz fairly flat.

But how would the mki's blend with the m3 and the m25 sonically?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the FR graph from my old Chevy with the mki's. Obviously different vehicle so some of the FR would change. The f150 is better deadened in the doors so that should actually be a plus to it.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts