DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend asked me to help him fibreglass some holes in the cargo area of his 95 cherokee (XJ) and after some talking we decided to build a fibreglass sub box in the passenger rear cubby hole. I'm sure some of you are familiar with this space. We cut out the factory plastic cubby and made a frame behind it, taped it glassed it, you know the drill. He picked up a Diamond D308 from my co worker and diyma member and it looks like a real ass kicker, but we assumed the box would be a lot bigger than it turned out to be. The sub calls for .5 sealed and we have .31 before displacement which the manual says is .03

so the box is too small for the sub :(

the sub is rated 200rms/400 peak and he's gonna give it 300rms from an MTX jackhammer

Is there any way this will work out okay? I've never ran a sub in a small box like this and don't know what to think. Will polyfill help or is it an old wives tale?

Thanks for any ideas

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
They say polyfill can add 20% to a box so that would be .37? It will just cause the sub to play higher and have a weaker bottom end, though it does depend on the sub.

You could mount the sub inverted.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Make sure you don't pack too much polyfill. Too much will reduce the effective volume.

I would polyfill and see how the results are. If you've already glassed it, you might as well try it and see how it is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts