DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What would be a awesome pair of Midrange/Midbass drivers for use in home. My b-day is coming up and would like to suggest them a new midrange midbass driver to go with my LPG 26NAFM's, Towers will be built custom to driver requirements. I Really like Seas Lines, but would only like to get the Excel if anything, but its a little steap for me in the price. Would like high quality midrange/midbass. Not sure the price cap yet but expect pretty low But expect to be selling my Vifa P17SJ's towards the new drivers as well, so possibly could go higher in price for that reason.

Power available is [email protected], driver must be 8ohm to mate with 8ohm tweet for 4ohm imp.

Dayton Ref 7" comes to mind for the price, not sure if it goes high enough to mate well with the 26nafm, but i could get 2 for like $65, where i bought the Vifa P17SJ's for like 50 a piece when i got them. Any better drivers out there as well, for the price.....Seas G18, L18 and W18 also come to mind.

·
Registered
103 Posts
are you going to design a passive crossover yourself or use an active setup? SUrrounds or is this just a stereo setup? How big is the room? Where are the speakers gonna be placed relative to where you are going to sit?

·
Registered
531 Posts
i've liked the peerless csc-x mtm's i've built....both the 5.25 and the 6.5's...

my big towers at home use adire's av8....which aren't around anymore....:(

why not give the peerless exclusive 7's a whirl?

be easiest to have madisound whip you up a LEAP crossover...

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as placement, check out this picture.

Soundstage is across the front of the room, very wide, seat is either on the far left on couch laying down, or right under the camera. Basically take that picture and take the bookshelfs out and put 2 towers in there places, soundstage will be same width.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/2040000-2040999/2040800_17_full.jpg

Would like to go active, but will be building my own crossover if i can get a appropriate desgin for the specific speakers. Will be sticking with a Stereo setup for the time being, much simpler, and i don't watch movies that much, usually strickly tv or music. Extreem SQ is my goal.

I've looked at the Excel's but i can't find a price for them anywhere, and not exactly sure how they would mate with the LPG26nafm well in its xover region. Other suggestions wanted.

Existing crossover i have is a LEAP design, made for my old Audax TM025F1's and the Vifa P17SJ's, will talk to them after i decide midbass driver that i'd like to use. Last time it was around 50 i think for the pair of xovers.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well, i hope you know what you are getting into if you plan on building your own crossovers. I'm not trying to disuade you from doing so, but it is a complicated process that often takes months to iron out a lot of the problems you will run into. Also, if you are aiming for extreme SQ, you're gonna need some testing equipment to help with the crossover design as well.

That being said, if you've never done this before, I would HIGHLY suggest copying a DIY project. It is cool cause the crossover is already designed, you just need to put it together. In the world of home audio, the type of speakers you buy has very little effect on the final outcome compared to crossover implementation and cabinet design.

If you want a good project to start out with, try this. It is an amazing sounding system using inexpensive yet very capable drivers, and it uses ribbons :D . I think starting out with something like this will ensure that it will sound great and also give you a good starting point in home audio. Also, two 10" woofers in each speaker would be freaking loud.

(edit) haha, i wrote that before i looked at the pic. The Lyra set would be too big to fit on top of your desk. There are a bunch of other projects you can use though. Check them out here.

·
Registered
531 Posts
building crossovers takes no time at all....solder....glue...solder...glue :)

designing....takes an expensive amount of software.....OR....

alot of spare parts....alot of spare time....and a hell of an ear :)

madisound should have prices on their excel's...see no reason why they wouldn't....

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've build 2 way bookshelfs before, and to be a beginner in the HT department SQ was definently nice, i implemented a LEAP crossover i had built specifically for my drivers being used by madisound at the time, Drivers were Audax TM025F1 and Vifa P17SJ. I was just hopeing that i could get them to design one for me andi build it, not design it myself, for the new mid to go with my LPG26NAFM tweets, then i could build the crossover myself and build the towers and such, should be really fun.

The towers will not be sitting on the desk like in the picture, they will be at the same distance away from the TV and seat, but will be floor standing. Not sure which size enclosure i will need yet, driver dependant, but i do have a set of 3" Aeroports to be used.

As far as Excel's i may have looked at the wrong driver, What the model # of the Excel 18 Line?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Talk about OMG, check out this line array. http://www.selahaudio.com/id89.html

Also check out the pricing of these NS3's
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=1585477.14625&pid=1757

Wondering how i can implement them as well into my design, if i can get away with a 3way then wow, but still eyes set on a nice midrange/midbass. If those are the NS3's that everyone raves about, wow what a price, there on sale too, wonder what midbass i could use if i got the NS3.

The Seas Wxx lines arn't one MAdisound's Seas webpage anymore, or i'm really overlooking them, anyone?

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Casedot said:
If you want a good project to start out with, try this. It is an amazing sounding system using inexpensive yet very capable drivers, and it uses ribbons :D . I think starting out with something like this will ensure that it will sound great and also give you a good starting point in home audio. Also, two 10" woofers in each speaker would be freaking loud.[/url]
Speaking of which, how are your Veritas coming? Are those Expolinear planar tweets treating you well? :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wondering how i can implement them as well into my design, if i can get away with a 3way then wow, but still eyes set on a nice midrange/midbass. If those are the NS3's that everyone raves about, wow what a price, there on sale too, wonder what midbass i could use if i got the NS3.
This might be the one you are looking for:

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=2674359.22744&pid=100

Or a little smaller:

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=2674359.22744&pid=102

·
Registered
103 Posts
heh, I got started on them a while ago but still havn't finished. Work has gotten a lot busier and I started a new quarter in school. They're coming though, just slowly.

I havn't got to the planar tweets yet :(

I'm sooo anxious to finish these too, it's gonna sound great.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea i see those now, Those are the whispers, i was looking at the normal NS3's i guess.

I still can't find the Excel on MAdisound page.....Is it just me?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyone have opinions on Peerless HDS 7"? They look awesome, but how do they sound....?? Recomended Ported volume is .5cf with an f3 of 50hz. Any ideas on this driver....sure looks sexy.

Dayton Ref 7" is still on my mind, Excel is too expensive for me so count it out. HDS looks awesome, Could use CA/G/L 18's i think but would like to steer away from CA18 as i have them in the car, awesome driver, but would like to try new drivers as well.

Crossover will be built by madisound LEAP, i'm thinking.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Ludemandan said:
Smack in the bass/midbass SQ range is the eDesigns Eu700. If you wired a dual 4 in parallel it would be 8 ohms. The popular terminology for the sound these produce (in cars anyway) is "ear sex."

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=15&pid=32&cur=USD

pretty sure that's not going to come anywhere close to matching up with the lpg's....

unless you take their top freq. reponse x 10.....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.