DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been away from this site and others like it for a few years now. I have recently found the time to reengage into some things I want to do, and rebuilding the setup in my truck was high on that list. I have been shopping around for a few months now for new amps with the specific requirements of size and cost as my 2 biggest factors and of course quality but I think that's a given. I also needed to be able to have 6 active channels for a 3 way front stage plus a separate channel to support sub duties for a total of 7 channels minimum. My size constraint is driven by the fact that the vehicle is a regular cab Cheverolet Silverado, so space is at a minimum.

I was unable to find something I could commit to until last week when I viewed a video of a new amp that caught my eye. The video was of a new amp from a company called Toro Tech or Toro Audio, the company is brand new and is structured to only sell in online marketplaces like Amazon. Toro also offers full size amps as well, however it specifically was the comapnies micro amps that met my requirements for size and cost as well as being available in a 4 channel (MRx4), 2 channel (MRx2) and mono block (MR2) for a total of seven channels. Here is the link to the video from Dereck Williston, better known as BigDWiz, from his site at oldschoolstereo.com.

After watching the video he posted and seeing the performance vs. cost as well as size I figured I would take a chance on a new amp company. I purchased these amps via normal retails prices on Amazon, so before anyone asks this review was not funded or supported by the manufacturer. I purchased all 3 amps I am reviewing at the same time from Amazon for a total of 228.93 delivered, suggested retail of all 3 amps on Toro Audio's website is 599.85. I am not sure if we will see a price increase, however I was very happy with what i paid.

This may be a great time to say that i am not an expert on amplifier design, i am just a consumer that has been playing with amps for 25+ years. My review will be my opinion on things like asthetics, usability and functionality. I do not have the ability to measure output or give technical results, I just thought some might appreciate an enthusiast level review of something new.

Here are some basic images of what came out of the box from Amazon, even these boxes are tiny for an amp.

The boxes are so small that even the manual doesn't fit, it would have been nice to have the manual match the box size so it didn't have a fold in it.

Contents are pretty basic, each box contains an amp, a speaker wire harness and four mounting screws and an allen wrench.

Each unit has its own crossover, I will be covering this more in depth in the future. I think the ability is here to do a full active system, however I will not say that for certain until i can review the features more in depth. I plan on running a seperate DSP so it was not a deciding factor for me prior to purchase.

MR2 Mono block crossover details

MRx2 2 channel crossover details

MRx4 4 channel crossover details

All 3 amps have RCA inputs and crossover settings on one end and speaker and power connections on the other end.

All 3 amps have 8 gauge power and ground with no built-in fusing and 18 gauge speaker wire output. The MR2 manual recommends merging the 2 18 gauge outputs of the positive side and the 2 18 gauge outputs of the negative side so that you get the equivalent of a 12 gauge wire. My guess is they did this to allow them to use the same speaker harness for both the mono block and the 2 channel. I would have liked to see connections here instead of a pigtail, 2 18 guage wires seems a bit small for an amp rated at 500x1 @ 1 ohm.

You can see here that the 2 channel and the mono block share the same layout for power/ground and speaker output.

The 4 channel is very similar with a 4 channel plug in place of the 2 channel plug.

Here's a good size reference, the amp is barely bigger than a dollar bill.

Total length is right at 7.5", interestingly Toro lists the length at 5.8".

Width was right at 3.25".

Height was right at 1.7"

I put all 3 amps on the scale just out of curiosity, they were all right about 25 oz.

Overall my first impressions are good. I think the amps are good looking, they have a brushed metal finsih that is very dark. I think they are classy looking and would look good in most automotive interiors. I dont love the speaker connections and the lack of fusing, however I recognize that both of these are are required to get the amp as physically small as it is. I am excited to get a chance to fire them up in the coming weeks and get a better feel for their performance.

Here are the hard numbers for anyone that is interested.

MR2 Mono
4ohm - 230W X 1
2ohm - 320W X 1
1ohm - 500W X 1

MRx2 2 channel
4ohm - 150W X 2
2ohm - 250W X 2
4ohm Bridged - 500 X 1

MRx4
4ohm - 80W X 4
2ohm - 130W X 4
4ohm Bridged - 260 X 2

·
Registered
280 Posts
Wow ! those are tiny. Thanks for bringing these to our attention.
I'd definitely like to hear some feedback on their SQ, and would prefer if they removed the crossover altogether from the signal path.

I've always loved the idea of using micro-mono-blocks to power speakers. I could see using the 4 channel for tweeters/rear fill, and then 4 MR*2 bridged to each mid and woof. Lots of ideas for those tiny things. They make Biketronics seem like a Zapco (although I've never held a BT in my hands maybe they are just as small. Definitely not as cheap !)

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am hoping to get them mounted in the next few weeks, so hopefully not too long a wait to get some listening results. I agree with you on a crossover, I wish someone just made amps this small with no crossover and independent L/R gains. Sadly we do not always represent the larger car audio community on this site and there is still a demand for onboard crossover from buyers.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Well that’s why you get a tiny dsp and problem solved. The Dayton is tiny.
those look nice. I might get a few and put them on my toro 3000 52 Z Master mower. They look like toro oem equipment.
let us know.

I have always like the look of the nvx micro amps. Just never needed one or three. Lol!!!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will hopefully be starting a build log soon, I am planning on running the Dayton DSP 408 with these amps. I was planning on getting the NVX micro amps until I found these.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I am looking at getting one for my son's car in place of an old Sony amp I'm using for his subwoofer. I am really torn on which amp to get. I'm thinking of getting the MRx2 and bridging it to mono. He has one 10" NVX sub that is wired to 4 ohms. The 500 watts x 1 into 4 ohms of the MRx2 seems like the best value. I guess I could do the MR2 and wire the sub to 1 ohm and still get 500 watts, but I don't know about running this at 1 ohm.

Any thoughts? I just want to put a new amp in as the Sony is very old and puts out 200 watts x 1 into 4 ohms. I also looked at the R2 mono amp, but it's class A/B so I figured it might run hotter than one of these class D's.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am looking at getting one for my son's car in place of an old Sony amp I'm using for his subwoofer. I am really torn on which amp to get. I'm thinking of getting the MRx2 and bridging it to mono. He has one 10" NVX sub that is wired to 4 ohms. The 500 watts x 1 into 4 ohms of the MRx2 seems like the best value. I guess I could do the MR2 and wire the sub to 1 ohm and still get 500 watts, but I don't know about running this at 1 ohm.

Any thoughts? I just want to put a new amp in as the Sony is very old and puts out 200 watts x 1 into 4 ohms. I also looked at the R2 mono amp, but it's class A/B so I figured it might run hotter than one of these class D's.
Based on features, I would likely go with the MRx2 in your case. It also has more power at the preferred ohm load for you. The only benefit I see for the MR2 is the ability to add a bass knob. I think your safe with either option and at the price point they are at, you might as well pick up the 4 channel for him as well.

·
Listener of Music
3,219 Posts
I'm pushing it MR2 to around 400-500. It barely gets warm. I've rocked it hard for an hour straight demoing the system. I'm telling these are simply fantastic so far. There's are the first non-Eclipse amps I've used personally since the 90's. So I'm coming from a quality perspective.

I have the SI MKII'S on 1 channel of the M2x4 and the tweets on the other and it's perfectly clean all the way through the volume and doesn't get warm pushing them to their limits.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Based on features, I would likely go with the MRx2 in your case. It also has more power at the preferred ohm load for you. The only benefit I see for the MR2 is the ability to add a bass knob. I think your safe with either option and at the price point they are at, you might as well pick up the 4 channel for him as well.
Does the bass remote come with it? Seems like it mentioned it as an option, but I didn't see it under "Accessories" on their site.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where do you get it?
I spoke to Toro and the knobs have not yet arrived from the manufacturer, my understanding is that they will be "included" eventually. Toro has a list of folks that they owe a knob to when they arrive that they can add you too.

If you want a knob now you can order the Massive audio UR1 knob as they are the same, they are 20.99 on Amazon. Mine just arrived today. Massive is the parent company of Toro which doesnt get advertised anywhere. I think they want Toro to stand on their own and not as part of the Massive brand but as a result they share some architecture included the knob. Everything I have seen on Massive amps tells me we are getting an amazing deal on these Toro amps.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I spoke to Toro and the knobs have not yet arrived from the manufacturer, my understanding is that they will be "included" eventually. Toro has a list of folks that they owe a knob to when they arrive that they can add you too.

If you want a knob now you can order the Massive audio UR1 knob as they are the same, they are 20.99 on Amazon. Mine just arrived today. Massive is the parent company of Toro which doesnt get advertised anywhere. I think they want Toro to stand on their own and not as part of the Massive brand but as a result they share some architecture included the knob. Everything I have seen on Massive amps tells me we are getting an amazing deal on these Toro amps.
Thanks. Still trying to decide on the MRx2 or the MR2. Normally a bass knob would not concern me, but I'm going to put it in my son's car. The way I'm going to have to wire to his factory system, he'll lose subwoofer level control at the head unit.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I watched BigD's review and read Chief's...I'm sold. I pulled the trigger on the MRx4 and 2 and a bass knob. I'll get an another 2 when I jump to a proper DSP controlled system. Can't wait to get em in and see what they can do.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I was looking at the MrX4 4 channel. I was thinking of running the front speakers with the front outputs and bridge the rear for a subwoofer. But looking on Amazon it has a HPF/LPF switch. It doesn't look like both are able to be used at the same time, or that it can be used full range. Is this the case? What am I missing?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts