DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,

I just purchased a JL Audio 1000/1v2 Slasher Amp and installed it to my Kicker L7 15"

I was running this subwoofer on an 800 watt Peak Mtx amp before and had no problems with phasing.

Now it seems that if I turn it up past half volume it rattles the **** out of the sub and you can barely even feel the bass.

This subwoofer is in a ported box with 6.0 sq cubic ft space built to kickers dimensions in the manual.

The voice coils have no black/burn't spots on them.

It is the stock deck with all settings at 0 no extra bass or mid/treble and fader is set to 0.

So can anybody please guide me to what I should be setting all my settings to on my amp like low pass filter, gain, high pass and whatever else this amp has for settings because I am totally lost I don't understand why it rattles and puts out basically no bass. I even had a 300 watt amp on this sub putting out more bass. Could the rattling be because of amp settings, cheap line converter, or perhaps the subwoofer itself? This sub is setup at 4ohms currently. Thanks for your help ahead of time!
Also it's inside of 2010 dodge ram.
If I push down hard on the rubber seal around the sub it eliminates the rattle

·
Registered
3 Posts
If I push down hard on the rubber seal around the sub it eliminates the rattle
Sound like an air leak. Possibly even a poorly seated sub.

How is the sub mounted? What king of screws, bolts, etc? Did you seal it with anything. Even though the sub has a rubber seal on it, it wouldn't hurt to use a gasket or some double sided foam tape on the edge of the mounting hole. Make sure it makes contact with the mounting lip of the sub as well as the bevel that turns into the basket.

If you used mounting screws, and they are not holding the sub tightly, you can try using bolts and rivet nuts to secure it more tightly.

If pushing down on the rubber seal makes the rattling stop, then these measures should eliminate the rattle.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
more than likely it is because the MTX amp didnt really put out 800 watts and the slash amp prolly puts out 1100 watts.

make sure you have a sub-sonic filter set for 5-10 hz under the tuning freq or it will do that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is mounted with thick wood screws but no seal/rubber or anything between sub and box. Also there is a tiny tiny hole in the square cone. Also how do I find out the tuning freq? It's a 3 ft3 ported box built to exact kicker optimum specs. Thanks for the help so far guys!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rubber thin around the come was completely peeled off so I scraped all the glue off and applied new glue letting
It sit for 24 hr then I'll update should
Fix it. the rubber was flapping one the metal as wind passed through

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
The rubber thin around the come was completely peeled off so I scraped all the glue off and applied new glue letting
It sit for 24 hr then I'll update should
Fix it. the rubber was flapping one the metal as wind passed through
What kind of glue did you use? Also am pretty sure if the enclosure is on specs it should be tuned around 30-42hz so use the subsonic filter at 32hz that way you dont damage the woofer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! It was some eruthane glue meant for metal, wood, poly, plastic, rubber, fabric and everything else it looks the same as the glue that was on it except clear and it seems to be holding like crazy so hope it works. Ok thanks about subsonic. Do
You recommend any specific volt meter for testing the wattage coming out of speaker slot so I can set the input sensitivity and what about any of the other settings like low pass an the "Q" dial knob?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Great those work perfectly. How do I find out what volts my RCA line converter is putting out from the stoak head unit so I know to set the input voltage to
High or low. Thanks again!

Also I'm looking at going new for subwoofers so what would you guys recommend?

2x Kicker 11L7 12 inchs in ported box
1x Kicker SoloX 12 Inch in ported box
1x Kicker Solox 10 Inch in ported box

Also what do you think sounds difference would be because the 10 pushs almost the same as the 12 and it can also push more then the 2x 12s so I'm wondering if I go with the 10 to save space will I get more bass then my l715 that I currently have? It can handle more watts and the jl puts out about 1300 rms

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts