DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a local shop put in a new Python 2-way paging alarm with remote start and SmartStart.

One of the things they told me was that if you remote start the vehicle, then walk up and open a door, it kills the remote start and you then have to start the vehicle again with the factory pushbutton start once you get in. They told me this is a thing with all the newer Toyotas (this is a 2018 RAV4 XLE non-JBL with factory pushbutton start and remote keyless entry). They said no one has been able to figure a workaround and it's just something you have to live with when it comes to the newer Toyotas.

Since then, I've had some other questions arise from some other work this shop has done, and it makes me question whether this is truly the case or not? Since it basically means thousands of additional starts and wear on my engine/starter over the life of the car and alarm, I thought I'd ask if anyone can shed any additional light on this info - again, based on my questioning some other apparent shortcuts it appears they took with a stereo installation. If there's a way to get this to work like it does on my 370Z or my Tahoe, I'd like to know - in those vehicles, the remote start simply disengages when get in and touch the brake, it doesn't kill the car, as long as I have the key in the ignition and the ignition turned on (in the case of my Tahoe), or just am in the car with my key fob (in the case of my 370Z, which is also factory pushbutton start).

Thanks for any insight anyone can offer me.

· Registered
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss Crew Cab
2,462 Posts
Have you taken the time to look this up? I ask because after reading your post I Google it and found the answer to the remote start part of your question immediately.

Says it is a theft prevention method. As for the extra starts, the manufacturers do not seem worried. Think about the multitude of vehicles with auto start stop feature.

Reactions: GB4runner

· Registered
2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali
2,349 Posts
Same with my wife’s VW it’s annoying but I understand the reason behind it.

· Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was my point, just asking if others had this same experience and if anyone knew of a workaround. It's fine, I don't like it, no, but it isn't the end of the world.

· Registered
730 Posts
i purchased a Fortin aftermarket remote start kit for my Lexus RX. it says that the vehicle will shut off after door opens in the instructions/manual for the as well. it is supposedly a programmable feature so it could be turned off on this device at least.

· Registered
128 Posts
I got a tundra and it does not turn off when I open the door but only when you step on the brake pedal without the key being in the ignition I got the start X remote start from Amazon I’ve had it for about four years now and I’ve had no problems

· Registered
470 Posts
I got a tundra and it does not turn off when I open the door but only when you step on the brake pedal without the key being in the ignition I got the start X remote start from Amazon I’ve had it for about four years now and I’ve had no problems
That is the normal behavior with a standard ignition key, the PTS vehicles don't allow takeover.

· Registered
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss Crew Cab
2,462 Posts
My wife’s Jeep has PTS and factory remote start. It stays running till you press the start/stop button and brake to drive.
Same with my 2022 Nissan Rogue. It will stay running. It pops up a msg if I try to put the car in drive. It pops up a msg if I hit the start button without my foot on the brakes. It only turns off if I do one of these things more than a couple times.

On a side note. The remote sart in this Rogue is nearly useless as it only works within 30 or less feet. My 2021 Silverado could start from much farther. I live in hell and leave for work at the hottest part of the day so cooling the interior down is a nice thing. But this Rogue does not play well with this. To top it off I can use my phone and start it from anywhere I have cell reception but it takes 2 to 3 minutes to get the app to allow me to do this. Either way I loose. Uggggggggggggggggg

· Registered
49 Posts
This is a known feature that everyone complains about with newer Toyotas. There is NO WAY around it. If you have a push start newer Toyota it will turn off when the doors are open. No programming will defeat this.

· Registered
4,501 Posts
This is a known feature that everyone complains about with newer Toyotas. There is NO WAY around it. If you have a push start newer Toyota it will turn off when the doors are open. No programming will defeat this.
That’s odd as I can think of a way around it… activate a relay from the remote start on starting to open circuit the door open switch cable from the drivers door, at least then you can get in the car and then press the button, although I’m not sure the take over will work correctly if the ignition is on via the remote start… would need testing… but there’s always a way…

· Registered
987 Posts
What's funny, is I have a '22 Corolla Hybrid, it's not offered with remote start yet it has it. I've read online where people asked their dealer about it and they deny it has it.

Anyway, mine also shuts off when you open the door.

· Registered
470 Posts
That’s odd as I can think of a way around it… activate a relay from the remote start on starting to open circuit the door open switch cable from the drivers door, at least then you can get in the car and then press the button, although I’m not sure the take over will work correctly if the ignition is on via the remote start… would need testing… but there’s always a way…
And you have now provided a way for anyone to hop in the car, release the gear shift and drive as far as they can get before the RS times out.

· Premium Member
2020 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
15 Posts
Was also told by the dealer mine did not have Remote Start. 1 YouTube video shortly after purchasing cleared that up.

But mine also shuts off on door open.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.