DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Well finished this up a little while ago and finally just got a few good pics. The last install for any of my Maine clients:blush:... it's on to SC in a few weeks :)

Gear:
JL 300/4
JL 1000/1
JL 12w7
JL XR650 comps
Kenwood DD hu w/navi

Here is where most of the gear will reside. The 40 split will be removed.

This is the sub-floor underneath the front passenger seat. It is adhered to the vehicles floor board "under" the factory carpet. I'm showing it here just for visual.

The base for the sub enclosure. Bolted to factory provisions.

Here is where the 1000/1 will reside. You can see how the simple amp board and Streetwires distro block "sandwiches" the carpet with the sub-floor from the previous pics.

·
Banned
887 Posts
very stealth I like it :p how long have you been hoarding that distro block? Dont see those around anymore.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
very stealth I like it :p how long have you been hoarding that distro block? Dont see those around anymore.
I've seen a couple on the classifieds here, recently. Thought about picking one up as a back up. Audison makes a similar one (but I don't know if they have one that uses Maxi Fuses) but it's much more expensive.

Shawn, did you cut the W7 logo out by hand? I had to do that once and then vinyl the lettering, too. It was a PITA. But they were only about 5" tall. haha

Jay

·
Registered
180 Posts
Very nice. Your wood working and install skills are on point

Sent from under your mom's bed

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Another great install by Shawn. Looks great. Yea I'm using the Audison version of that distro block, it's great to have all of the power and ground wiring consolidated to one area.

I always liked your style. You make it look like something's that doable, but I know that I don't have the skills to make it look so professional.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've seen a couple on the classifieds here, recently. Thought about picking one up as a back up. Audison makes a similar one (but I don't know if they have one that uses Maxi Fuses) but it's much more expensive.

Shawn, did you cut the W7 logo out by hand? I had to do that once and then vinyl the lettering, too. It was a PITA. But they were only about 5" tall. haha

Jay
I made the jig for the W7 quite a while (years) ago. I'm glad I held on to it. :)

The letters are actually suede flock so it was pretty easy to pop into the insert. Before flocking them, I simply used a flush bit with an undersized bearing which made the inserts 1/16" smaller to compensate for the suede. I'm sure that vinyl wrapping those little letters was a pain lol

·
Registered
691 Posts
Your work is never gonna be this nice living down south! The weather there is gonna screw you up!
Just a warning

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
I made the jig for the W7 quite a while (years) ago. I'm glad I held on to it. :)

The letters are actually suede flock so it was pretty easy to pop into the insert. Before flocking them, I simply used a flush bit with an undersized bearing which made the inserts 1/16" smaller to compensate for the suede. I'm sure that vinyl wrapping those little letters was a pain lol
Yeah, nowadays when I make a jig for something I try to hold on to it.
Comes in handy now and again. I made a jig to convert old Smart Car dash kits to fit the new (11-) dash after all the kit manufacturers we talked to said they had no plans to offer one. I also made a jig to build Range Rover dash kits after getting a run of like 3 of them in a month. Wish I had made a jig for the W7 lettering I did, too. lol

Truck looks great.

I thought you were moving to VA? Something change?

Jay

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, nowadays when I make a jig for something I try to hold on to it.
Comes in handy now and again. I made a jig to convert old Smart Car dash kits to fit the new (11-) dash after all the kit manufacturers we talked to said they had no plans to offer one. I also made a jig to build Range Rover dash kits after getting a run of like 3 of them in a month. Wish I had made a jig for the W7 lettering I did, too. lol

Truck looks great.

I thought you were moving to VA? Something change?

Jay

Thanks Jay!

Yes the plan all along was to move to Va., but quite surprisingly, my wife wasn't having much luck finding work. I'm not ashamed to admit that she's the breadwinner in the family:D so Va. was out.

She has family in SC, and has since been hired at the very first hospital that she applied to. Now we're just waiting for the closing date on our new home... I guess it was just meant to be :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts