DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parts-Express.com:Tritrix RD Recession Destroyer Kit | recession buster RB kit recession buster kit recession destroyer kit tritrix mtm kit tritrix kit curt campbell speaker kit tri trix madisound

Thought this was a stellar deal. Would make a great first project. Its out of stock but due May 13th

Or if you don't want to wait, these are still available. Hell, you can use these in a car as a hybrid 3 way setup with passive midrange and tweet and midbass of your choice.

RB-Kit, the Vifa "Recession Buster Kit", Pair from Madisound

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
404 Posts
Great bargain. Easy load on a receiver and pretty good sound. It is amazing what Curt was able to accomplish w/ this even at he original price point and now this is killer. The centerchannel version of this served well in my projector theater for a couple years until I moved on to a different DIY design.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Great bargain. Easy load on a receiver and pretty good sound. It is amazing what Curt was able to accomplish w/ this even at he original price point and now this is killer. The centerchannel version of this served well in my projector theater for a couple years until I moved on to a different DIY design.
stumbled across a post from DS-21 about how the center channel should be identical as the L-R. I was wondering if placing the center channel to the immediate left/right of the TV would be worse than not having a center channel at all? IE is an "off-center" channel a complete waste of time?

·
Registered
404 Posts
stumbled across a post from DS-21 about how the center channel should be identical as the L-R. I was wondering if placing the center channel to the immediate left/right of the TV would be worse than not having a center channel at all? IE is an "off-center" channel a complete waste of time?
If I'm following you correctly, the premiss is that L-C-R speakers for HT should be identical and in this case in vertical MTM configuration. Well the ideal of 'identical' speakers is to match the voicing of the sound across the front stage. As the speakers in this system are the same just w/ the CC placed horizontally the voicing will be very similar.
I believe you are talking about putting a vertically oriented speaker to L or R of the screen to maintain identical response? Well as the CC handles most of the dialogue it would definitely skew your attention from the desired illusion that the words are coming from the persons' mouths. So yes waste of time.
Placing a speaker especially an MTM on its side for CC duty is definitely a nod to aesthetics, but w/ the Tritrix the designer has taken this into account w/ the x-over configuration and a low 1450hz x-over point to reduce the problem of off-axis response when this speaker is placed horizontally.
See Curt Campbell's design notes here: Tritrix_pg_1
On an aside, I used to run L-C-R identical vertical high quality T/Ms spaced out properly from the backwall as not to get BSC muddiness, but when I switched to other DIY dedicated center channels (horizontal) vocal articulation has improved significantly.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If I'm following you correctly, the premiss is that L-C-R speakers for HT should be identical and in this case in vertical MTM configuration. Well the ideal of 'identical' speakers is to match the voicing of the sound across the front stage. As the speakers in this system are the same just w/ the CC placed horizontally the voicing will be very similar.
I believe you are talking about putting a vertically oriented speaker to L or R of the screen to maintain identical response? Well as the CC handles most of the dialogue it would definitely skew your attention from the desired illusion that the words are coming from the persons' mouths. So yes waste of time.
Placing a speaker especially an MTM on its side for CC duty is definitely a nod to aesthetics, but w/ the Tritrix the designer has taken this into account w/ the x-over configuration and a low 1450hz x-over point to reduce the problem of off-axis response when this speaker is placed horizontally.
See Curt Campbell's design notes here: Tritrix_pg_1
On an aside, I used to run L-C-R identical vertical high quality T/Ms spaced out properly from the backwall as not to get BSC muddiness, but when I switched to other DIY dedicated center channels (horizontal) vocal articulation has improved significantly.
that answers all my questions... thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts