DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I took on a little side project helping a friend of a friend with a cigarette boat.

Clarion CMS4, system has been sounding great, tuned and reliable.

this year I've been told there is an issue with the audio output, below 20 points on the head unit there is very noticeable static on the channels that are RCA driven, the line level speaker channels are crisp and clear throughout the spectrum.

I've swapped the rca's at the CMS4 to the amp to the different zone outputs of the radio. (allegedly the CMS4 head unit black box was sent out for inspection last fall and came back OK)

any trouble shooting advice?

my next step was going to be run a new set of rca's to the existing amplifiers, next would be bring in a known good amp and see if somehow he has a bad amplifier.

and if it was a bad amplifier, why would it be "specifically" below the 20 point mark on the volume of the CMS4.. i really want to say its the CMS4 causing the issue, but when non amplified speakers in the tunnel sound fine, i'm not so sure

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tap a decent loc into the high level outputs and connect the rcas to it and see if it changes anything
Ok, great idea.
I’ll try that. Significantly easier than tapping in an extra amplifier.

I was secretly hoping someone would yell at me and say this was common with this head unit.

I’m confident I’m not the only tech asked to look at this boat with this issue so I’d really like to nail it right off the bat…

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Had a ski buddy with a CMS2 that came with Nautique. That HU was POS. Switched him to a Kicker KMC4 and all the problems went away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts