DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm trying to diagnose a problem with my setup that occurs at high volumes. Certain bass notes, especially ones like a hard drum kick or something with sharpness, will begin to distort past a certain volume. The sound is difficult to describe but it's almost like a flapping noise or a woof. At a single volume tick below that threshold, the problem goes away entirely and things sound great.

My setup is a sealed enclosure of about 3 cuft, dimensions are 24x24x14.
The speaker is an 18" TC Sounds LMS 5400, and the amp driving it is the DC Audio 3.5k. The speaker is wired at 1 ohm.

To try and eliminate my car's stereo output/line level input as a source of potential clipping, I hooked the amp directly to my phone and was still able to reproduce the problem.

I also don't believe the problem is due to a lack of power to the amp, because there is not an appreciable voltage drop.

How can I identify some potential root causes of this? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to clarify a little, I'm looking for any troubleshooting steps to identify the problem
- could it be clipping? short of a voltage drop I'm not sure how to identify when this happens
- does a leak in a sealed enclosure exhibit these symptoms? Maybe at low pressure/volume the leak is contained but at higher pressure the leak can't be contained. How can I tell?
- too much excursion causing noise from the speaker hitting its limits? Visually the woofer doesn't seem to exceed xmax but I don't know how to determine this.
- misalignment voice coil at higher excursion? would rotating the voice coil help?

Any troubleshooting steps would be appreciated.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Just with anything I always start simple than go to more advanced methods. I would dial the gain down the amp just a tad and see if the problem still occurs. Like if the sound is fine at volume 24 and problem arises at 25. So just back the gain down a tad and see how volume 25 sounds. To add though, it might help if you post your audio setup. Sometimes these things are as simple as can be and sometimes they are complicated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts