DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help me understand the differences between the Tru Technology Billet line versus the Super Billet line. I am currently running two of the billet amps(474 and 4100) and was think about moving to the Super Billet and having one amp to run my front stage. There does not appear to be any power advantages so what else would I expect?

Heath

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Can someone help me understand the differences between the Tru Technology Billet line versus the Super Billet line. I am currently running two of the billet amps(475 and 4100) and was think about moving to the Super Billet and having one amp to run my front stage. There does not appear to be any power advantages so what else would I expect?

Heath
^Corrected the model number above in your post

In it's base form, the Super Billet 8 is (2) 4100's under the same heatsink. There are other options, like a you can get a Super Billet 6 (1 -4100 and 1- 2200) or a Super Billet 4 (2 - 2200's).

From there you can add stage upgrades (1-4), OpAmp upgrades and more (the same upgrade options are available on the standard Billet amps).

You do get a massive looking amp that will impress all...oh...and a huge gun case that they ship it in. :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well then what justifies the premium price if all they are is two regular billet boards in one chasis?

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Well then what justifies the premium price if all they are is two regular billet boards in one chasis?
You are paying a premium for the custom heat sink that is used, the hand soldered internals and kimber kable wire (forgot about that part).

·
Registered
524 Posts
hamburger<sirloin<filet mignon<kobe. All are good. The higher up you go ($), the better it gets. Whether its worth it to you or not isn't something any of us can answer. Just remember that the law of diminishing returns increases drastically at some point. With car amps, that point is somewhere below where Tru amps start. The lowest $ amps Tru has costs more than others that I would wager most of would not quibble about having in our cars. Tru amps are very good, but some of their premium $ is due not to sq, but uniqueness, being handbuilt in CA, and the oh s**t factor you get when people hear theprice/see the size/looks of the amp in your trunk. Value, in this and all other cases, is in the mind of the pocket book.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The diminishing return thing I get as I have lived this since entering the car audio addiction world. My last switch was going from mosconi amps to tru. Was there an upgrade, I think so. I think amplifiers are the hardest area to justify these upgrades versus speakers and subs. I love the tru product from both sound and looks versus the mosconi so it worked for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts