DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of installing a trunk baffle for two AE IB15 subs. Initially I planned on using 2 layers of 3/4" MDF. To give myself a touch more clearance on the basket side, which faces the seatbacks of my 98 Civic sedan, I found it necessary to use 3 layers. Anyway, my question is, would be advisable to sandwich a layer of Raamat between each layer of MDF? If so would I also want to glue the layers or would screws suffice?:

Any input would be appreciated.:)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I wouldn't bother. I'd think that the MDF is at least as massive, and doesn't need to be "deadened." I'd also think that you wouldn't want to do anything that would lower the resonant frequency of that panel, since the passband IS low frequencies.

Save it for the sheet metal.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
I agree, I would glue it together if you can install it that way but lots of screws will work just drill one side so it pulls them tight....use more screws if you don't glue it. You will have to attach it to the car fairly good, its gonna shake, and that's why it needs to be heavy enough to be strong between the drivers...and actually putting something soft in there is going to hurt that. Beside all that, you should not have any sound going through that much mdf.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like a plan. I have a habit of over-complicating things. Overbuilding can be a good thing sometimes but as far as the Raamat in this case it is a waste of time and material. Thanks for putting things in perspective.

·
18,694 Posts
yea, don't bother. 3 layers of 3/4" should be plenty mass to keep things in check.

save that deadener for the rear deck and the sides of the trunk... you're gonna need it. ;)
I also suggest buying some memory foam or weather stripping to hit up all rattles with. I CRANKED my subs tonight and stood outside my car... found new rattles I didn't have before. Time to get some polyfill. :D

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
LOL, I had this huge rattle in my trunk I never heard until I was outside the car. Turned out the spare cover made of some cheap hardboard was broken. I fixed it and beefed it up then it was gone. I mean it was a serious loud knocking, a friend of mine was there laughing his ass off.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bikinpunk save that deadener for the rear deck and the sides of the trunk... you're gonna need it. QUOTE said:
I hear the rear deck lids in Civics are notorious for rattling. I know for sure my 98 is. Any tricks of the trade for dealing with the thing? Previously I had put layer of Ensolite between it and the deck, seemed to help a bit. My deck lid has 3 removable seals that expose 3 weldnuts welded to the underside of the deck. I guess they are for some type of dealer option. Anyway I was thinking of maybe trying to thru-bolt the lid to the deck to not have to depend on those damned push pin clip things.

Bikin, what's your plan for the polyfill?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Always check the license plate mount too. I was in a parking lot the other day and someone was bumping their system and their license plate was buzzing like mad. They probably didn't hear it inside, but it sounded reeeeallllyy bad from where I was.

Trunk lid seals can sometimes cause the whole lid to buzz if they are worn.

That's all I know....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts