DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've heard of people purposely setting the mids in a 2way system out of phase at the midbass so that the midrange would be in phase and simply use eq to tame the midbass region. this is supposed to focus the midrange better etc... is there any truth to this?

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Subjectively it may improve the imaging, but AFAIK it doesn't do anything for phase coherency between left and right.

Looking at the time response here you can see that the there's a time discrepancy of about .5ms between the left(red) and right(blue) side drivers. If I were to reverse the phase of say the red line, it would just flip the response upside down. I don't see how that "improves" the phase coherency in anyway between the two drivers. In fact you can see that both drivers are actually in phase as is, except that one lags the other by ~.5ms. The technically correct action here would be to delay one side, rather than to reverse polarity on one driver.

What it may improve however is the response at the xover region between the mid and tweet, since every crossosver except for first order filters have a phase shift associated with them.

·
Registered
397 Posts
npdang,
your image dissapeared? hehehhe. can we get it back?

·
Registered
397 Posts
excellent! that image explains so much about phasing why it's not the same with time delay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts