DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 12" Boss "The Outcast" 2000 Watt subs. I originally had a CX2500D amplifier for the system and everything worked great. The Amp died years ago, and was going to put my system in the new vehicle. I have been searching for a new amp that would be good enough for these two subs and I keep getting contradicting information on a suitable replacement for the Amp.
I found a Rockville dB14 4000 Watt Peak/1000W CEA RMS Mono 2 Ohm Amplifier. I was wondering if anyone could possibly inform me if this would be a suitable replacement for my CX2500D?

·
Registered
2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
216 Posts
What is the impedance(ohm) of the Boss speakers. Depending on the impedance of the speakers voice coils you may need the MXD-M3 that is 1ohm stable. I have no experience with Rockville products but have read often about people having problems with them not lasting long. What happened to cause the last Rockville you had to die?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the impedance(ohm) of the Boss speakers. Depending on the impedance of the speakers voice coils you may need the MXD-M3 that is 1ohm stable. I have no experience with Rockville products but have read often about people having problems with them not lasting long. What happened to cause the last Rockville you had to die?
The subs are (individually) duel 4 ohm voice coil. The previous amp was "boss" brand. But is rather outdated.
I was going to go with Rockford because I found a good deal on a new one. But if it would be recommended to stay with boss then I most likely will just stay with boss.
But the aux plug jack on the Amp shorted out after about 5 years of use.
I'm just not sure what would be the best option for me would be.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
So you're looking at either 4Ohm or 1 Ohm power depending on your wiring.

Keep in mind that the Rockville db14 looks to only be 2Ohm stable so you are looking at 600Wrms @ 4Ohm only for both subs.

The Rockville RXM-T2/RXD-T2 seems to be about 380W x 2 @ 4 ohm. and about 600W x 2 @ 2Ohm... this will give you 600W RMS per sub. Williston Audio - Rockville RXM-T2 Bench Test

You can also get a Toro R4 and wire the subs to 1Ohm and get [email protected] 1Ohm... The R5 is even more power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you're looking at either 4Ohm or 1 Ohm power depending on your wiring.

Keep in mind that the Rockville db14 looks to only be 2Ohm stable so you are looking at 600Wrms @ 4Ohm only for both subs.

The Rockville RXM-T2/RXD-T2 seems to be about 380W x 2 @ 4 ohm. and about 600W x 2 @ 2Ohm... this will give you 600W RMS per sub. Williston Audio - Rockville RXM-T2 Bench Test

You can also get a Toro R4 and wire the subs to 1Ohm and get [email protected] 1Ohm... The R5 is even more power.
Thank you very much. Everywhere else didn't break it down that way, and I was getting confused. Thank you for taking your time to help. I'll most likely go with the RXD-T2. Found a really good multi year warranty for cheap. And the color matches everything else. So bonus.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Thank you very much. Everywhere else didn't break it down that way, and I was getting confused. Thank you for taking your time to help. I'll most likely go with the RXD-T2. Found a really good multi year warranty for cheap. And the color matches everything else. So bonus.
I'm sure you already know the basics but make sure you have power and ground cable big enough to power that thing. Even though you may or may not use all that power... you still want to have that safety factor. Make sure you have at least 4 gauge or larger power wiring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sure you already know the basics but make sure you have power and ground cable big enough to power that thing. Even though you may or may not use all that power... you still want to have that safety factor. Make sure you have at least 4 gauge or larger power wiring.
I'm actually having a company near me install it, I will make sure to be specific for the gauge. Thank you, I completely spaced it with what gauge should be used.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Make sure they will be using OFC (Oxygen Free Copper). and not CCA (Copper Cladded Aluminum). CCA tends to corrode after a while. You don't want to be dealing with that.

·
Registered
2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
216 Posts
Make sure they will be using OFC (Oxygen Free Copper). and not CCA (Copper Cladded Aluminum). CCA tends to corrode after a while. You don't want to be dealing with that.
I have to reiterate blacklisthunter's statement. You will be tempted by the cheap cost of CCA but please resist. Ask for a quality oxygen free copper 4 gauge wire. The cheaper priced amps don't have much room for error prior to popping. Even with the warranty you are still without tunes and have to have it replaced/repaired. I would also recommend the shop upgrade your vehicles ground path. Younger generations call this the "big 3 upgrade". It never hurts to go a model larger than you currently need incase you want to upgrade in the future. My $.02

1 - 9 of 9 Posts