DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, never been on here before, but needing some help. I bought a 1986 Chevy Corvette that has an aftermarket radio that I think is a sony. The reason I think it is a sony is because my 95 jeep has a radio that looks very similar when you pull the faceplate off and is a sony. Anyway, any ideas on a model number/place I can find a faceplate? Thanks!
(Sorry if this is in the wrong place)

Attachments

· Registered
5,749 Posts
Hey guys, never been on here before, but needing some help. I bought a 1986 Chevy Corvette that has an aftermarket radio that I think is a sony. The reason I think it is a sony is because my 95 jeep has a radio that looks very similar when you pull the faceplate off and is a sony. Anyway, any ideas on a model number/place I can find a faceplate? Thanks!
(Sorry if this is in the wrong place)
Yes, It looks like a Sony. If you pull the head unit out of the dash, there should be a sticker on the top of the main chassis with the manufacturer and model number. But without the faceplate there's no way to determine if the head unit actually works or not.

If it is a Sony head unit, you can purchase the Sony head unit removal tools on eBay for a few dollars. They slide into narrow slots slightly above the middle of each side of the main chassis. When you push in the removal tools, they release the spring locking tabs which will allow the chassis to slide out of the mounting cage/sleeve.

If you can get the model # off of the chassis, your best bet to find a faceplate would be eBay or www.pacparts.com

But again, if you spend the money on a new face plate, there's no guarantee that the head unit will still work, so it's a bit of a gamble.

And even if it is good, it will obviously be an older model and you would probably be better off upgrading to a new unit that has modern features such as Bluetooth hands free calling and USB input, etc.

Several of the new 10.1" floating display touchscreen head units will mount into a single-DIN opening.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, It looks like a Sony. If you pull the head unit out of the dash, there should be a sticker on the top of the main chassis with the manufacturer and model number. But without the faceplate there's no way to determine if the head unit actually works or not.

If it is a Sony head unit, you can purchase the the Sony head unit removal tools on eBay for a few dollars. They slide into narrow slots slightly above the middle of each side of the main chassis. When you push in the removal tools, they release the spring locking tabs which will allow the chassis to slide out of the mounting cage/sleeve.

[/URL]

If you can get the model # off of the chassis, your best bet to find a faceplate would be eBay or www.pacparts.com

But again, if you spend the money on a new face plate, there's no guarantee that the head unit will still work, so it's a bit of a gamble.

And even if it is good, it will obviously be an older model and you would probably be better off upgrading to a new unit that has modern features such as Bluetooth hands free calling and USB input, etc.

Several of the new 10.1" floating display touchscreen head units will mount into a single-DIN opening.
Ok thanks so much!! I will by those tools.
To be honest, I'm not really concerned about the audio quality, as I rarely listen to music
I prefer to listed to the car😀
I'm just trying to make it look better. It doesnt look great right know.
Thanks so much for the reply!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.