DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I found a decent sub possibility at Parts Express. A Dayton SD315-88 12” subwoofer that is only $43 each that can be matched to a 1.3 cuft dual enclosure for a decent sub setup.

Here is the weblink to the sub on Parts Express:
Parts Express:Dayton SD315-88 12" Shielded DVC Subwoofer

Here is the .pdf file to the sub specs:
http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/295-490s.pdf

Here is the sub box specs:

Here is a link to a dual 1.3 cuft sealed enclosure (around $55 or so shipped):
Sub Boxes H212 Hatchback Dual 12" Subwoofer Unloaded Enclosure Box

So, in closing, that seems like a fairly efficient, cheap sub. I figure, buy 2 of them, wire them in parallel (4-ohm load) and hook them up to a 300-500 watt RMS (@ 4-ohm) amp and you’ll get some quality yet cheap bass production. For around $150 for box + subs then find a cheapy mono sub amp and you’re rocking for around $225 - $250.

:)

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Tspence, you're changing your ways. Good to see! :D They seem like they'd make a decent pair of subs...

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
Just a wee bit 0 xmax { Xmax: 7mm } on that dual 8 ohm shielded subwoofer

Not like this >

# Linear Motor System—linear BL vs. excursion
# 30 mm linear Xmax
# 3" LMS coil
# Shorting ring to prevent flux modulation
# Linear suspension system
# Single 3 ohm DCR coil

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a wee bit 0 xmax { Xmax: 7mm } on that dual 8 ohm shielded subwoofer

Not like this >

# Linear Motor System—linear BL vs. excursion
# 30 mm linear Xmax
# 3" LMS coil
# Shorting ring to prevent flux modulation
# Linear suspension system
# Single 3 ohm DCR coil
Xmax isn't the end all be all of subs though. The sub is decently efficient, so it won't need much power to deliver good/low output. We're talking about a $43 sub here.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are these for yourself, helping a friend, or just playing around with options?
Just playing around with options. Seeing how cheap I can go and still get a respectable setup. I know this has been done to death but it's fun. :D

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
you know what's even cheaper??? Keeping what you already have...

try running your amp at 4 ohms - it'll be more SQ!

i'm guessing if you were to build a better box for your subs it might help too...

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you know what's even cheaper??? Keeping what you already have...

try running your amp at 4 ohms - it'll be more SQ!

i'm guessing if you were to build a better box for your subs it might help too...
I'm not trying to mess with my setup man. This thread is playtime. A "what if". I'm trying to think up a killer SQ budget sub stage first. As cheap as possible and achieve at least a 110db SPL output (higher output is better) and get a .707 QTS in a sealed enclosure. SQ is the target though in this "what if" thread.

·
Registered
597 Posts
People put so much stock in Xmax nowdays and I don't understand why. I remember when subs had half the Xmax and power handling they do today and people still thought they sounded great. What changed?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I'm not trying to mess with my setup man. This thread is playtime. A "what if". I'm trying to think up a killer SQ budget sub stage first. As cheap as possible and achieve at least a 110db SPL output (higher output is better) and get a .707 QTS in a sealed enclosure. SQ is the target though in this "what if" thread.
Why 2 subs then?

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
People put so much stock in Xmax nowdays and I don't understand why. I remember when subs had half the Xmax and power handling they do today and people still thought they sounded great. What changed?
The subs of yesterday are not near as loud as the subs of today. now that might not matter if you are shooting for a sq system where you dont listen to it loud, that doesnt cut it for me, i like to be able to get loud so xmax and sd come into play for me

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
555 Posts
or just wiring his at 4 ohms with a better box so he could have sq and output all in one instead of messing with two setups?

tell me now tspence, if you are too lazy to even rewire your RE SE's to 4 ohms, how do you plan to build a new sub enclosure then swap out sub boxes?

Seems like a much bigger pain in the ass to me

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
or just wiring his at 4 ohms with a better box so he could have sq and output all in one instead of messing with two setups?

tell me now tspence, if you are too lazy to even rewire your RE SE's to 4 ohms, how do you plan to build a new sub enclosure then swap out sub boxes?

Seems like a much bigger pain in the ass to me
Again, I'm not building anything. This is all theory, on paper, etc. I 'might' tinker around in the summer time later with a really cheap set of subs so that I can practice building a box or something.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
I used to run quad pyramid 10s IB, the $15 ones. Sounded great on an old 2x75 amp but I don't know if today's drivers are different. I have an old one and a new one, the new one feels much stiffer than the old one...but the old one is from the early 90s and was very abused. The cone and surround is a little different so not sure. They need a big box though, I ran 2cf ported each to get the most and still get low if I had to run a box. They still have a hard time getting 30Hz but they are only 10s. I wanted to toss the 12s in my car but going to change to 15s with a different baffle anyway and not wanting to invest in them. So I was thinking of trying pair of the 15s, but not able to make new baffle yet.

IMO if you don't have to run a tiny box single sub, you can always run cheaper subs for SQ....but they don't do small boxes well at all you end up with no bottom and you can't just push more power into them. The best not real expensive sub I ran sealed was a MTX 4500, it sounded nice but the 10 only takes 225rms. Was .87cf IIRC. Most other cheap subs need larger boxes than recommended to get any SQ.

W8aminute I hear you, what happened to the db increase from more subs/cone area, what about the DD that gets SPL with not much xmax.... I find I can get enough sub out of quad 12s that to keep up with them for music the highs would drill my ears out. More than that is just trying to impress your highschool buds or you like loud subs, but it is certainly not a thing to do with SQ. I can play 20hz tones and still get way more output than this 4x70 on four doors can wish to play at 80Hz and up....and that is a flat curve, if I bumped up 50Hz so it sounded like crap similar to most cheaper subs I tried in recommended size sealed boxes they would be much louder yet. Like I said if you want bottom in a small box then that is a different story, and no cheap sub is going to do well plus you will need more amp. Even cheap quad 10s can get it on fairly well in the right setup, I've had cars that could be heard a mile down the road they made a lot of bass with four $15 pyramids. Sure you can get louder today, my infinity on the kicker are...I guess I could have bought a linear power 5002 back then but I just didn't need it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Again, I'm not building anything. This is all theory, on paper, etc. I 'might' tinker around in the summer time later with a really cheap set of subs so that I can practice.
so again, swapping out sub boxes between two sets of subs is easier than rewiring yours?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts