DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are ribbon tweeters only good for 3 ways,
Are 8" woofers only good for 3 ways,

And if that is so, if I want the best 2 way, is the best option 1" and 6.5"?
And if that is so, would I want to pair that with a 10" or 12" sub? (or multiple 8")

All these considerations should take into account what we actually have on the market (i.e. no 'not if there is a ribbon that can go down to 100Hz!')that is good in terms on both SQ and value.

Basically from reading and researching I have picked out all the best value/SQ at every driver size, if there are definitive answers to the above (and alas I know there is nearly never a definitive answer!!!!), I'd pretty much know what to choose.

So I am all ears.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The answer to your first two questions are no and no.

Look at the t/s parameters for each and also the waterfall plot to get a rough idea of what each driver has the capability to do. Then decide which of the drivers you looked at fit your budget, size constraints, overall idea of what you would like to accomplish. It all will come down to "Your" personal preference though as to what sounds best to "Your" ears.

I like my 6.5" Midbass/Midrange and 1" Tweeter with a pair of 10" subs. But I would like to hear an 8" and 1" combo with a 12" (see the 500hp BMW M3 thread). Personally while I like my 10" subs I think I would rather a single 12" or 13.5" in this particular vehicle. I had thought about going with a 3 way set up but decided against it just due to less is more and keeping it simple for my install.

I know this didn't get to the heart of your question, but you need to listen to the speakers you have chosen for your list of potential drivers.

Sorry there is no easy answer to your main question.

P

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
There are generalities that are mostly true, but there are plenty of exceptions. I was surprised that one person has a two-way using a 9" SW9 morel woofer and a Piccolo tweeter. Hertz uses a ribbon midrange and a conventional tweeter in their Mille 3-way system.

You might think using a 9" woofer and tweeter would be an ideal system, but I have found that vocals get muddy when you have a lot of midbass. You just can't ask a single driver to pound out a kickdrum AND vocals at the same time with perfect clarity. Something's gotta give.

My ideal system would be a traditional 3-way system, but with additional dedicated midbasses and a sub or subs. The huge difficulty would then be matching all the levels and orienting all the drivers.

·
Registered
218 Posts
That's a lot of generalizations, though they seem to be in the right direction (mostly).

There are good reasons not to go with a big mid/woof for a 2-way (such as an 8"). Often they won't play high enough, or high enough without distortion. Breakup nodes will be at a lower frequency, which generally means a lower x-over frequency and then a tweeter that can handle that crossover frequency (= $$$$ or impossible). Also the off axis response of a larger driver will roll off sooner (the higher frequencies will beam). So your mids will be lacking w/o eq boost if you are listening to them off axis and will be hot on axis.

All that being said, a 2-way with an 8" mid/woof can sound good. It will take more work as far as driver selection and placement (plus cost could increase). Personally I'd go 3-way with a driver that big.

1" tweeter with 6.5" mid is a safe way to go 2-way. Though even some 6.5" drivers can't be crossed very high. You have got to nail down at least one driver as selected so you can properly match ones that will work with it. Have a mid you think you want? That could dictate the tweeter. Have a tweeter you want to use? Then that could limit what mids you can use.

As far as subs, any size should do. It's more of a compromise on space, budget, efficiency and power handling. The tweeter and mid really won't dictate what sub you can go with. It depends heavily on how you are going to use them. Do you know at least where the sub will go? If it's IB, that may limit what subs are suitable. If it's going to be a small sealed box, that will limit choices etc.

In summary: you have to make some kind of a decision on a driver or you are stuck with generalities.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
The problem with using a larger and larger woofer is that it's beaming pattern begins at a lower and lower frequency, making it hard to integrate to a tweet, also one must look into cone breakup and where it's going to occur in a larger woofer and where you want to place it's passband.

As for ribbon tweets, there are many options out there that play pretty darn low so I'd have to call that myth busted.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all your input.

"Whoa, good luck with what you have not learned "

unfortunately, you are correct, I need the luck!

I came to such generalization simply from reading around the forums and seeing what people use to couple with what. And I now understand the basic reasons for such generalities. I also understand that there are always exceptions, just like everything else in life.

I guess now I can refine my questions a little more then, Considering what is available on the market,

1. Is a 1" and 6.5" 2-way easiest to select (lots of good options), purchase (with the best value to performance), install, tune, and integrate for a noob like me? Or 7"? or 5"?

2. If I am to look at 3-way systems, would looking at 1", 4", 8" be the easiest? Or 1-5-10? (well I don't think i can fit 10s in the front)

All the above would go with a 12" DIYMA sub in the back. Or would dual 8s under the seats mean I won't need a sub?

I know all those combinations will work, I just want to know what would make my life easiest - considering what is on the market at their prices. I mean, of course I know there are lots of exceptions, but I don't see why I should make my life more difficult (except lots of you would rather consider that as 'more interesting' instead) if you see what I mean.

The funny problem is, if it is one, is that I am starting brand new with nothing, so there are no existing drivers that I already have to limit me to choose others to compliment with it. So I can choose anything. Ribbons, 8", 3", whatever. And I just want to see whats easiest to give the best result for the least money. (and thats why most of us are here right? DIY to get the most out of the least.) I guess, In that sense, if I am to start somewhere, I'd just pickup a pair of drivers (tweets or mids) when I find a super killer 1 in a lifetime deal/sale somewhere, and then I'd have something to base my search with - looking for things to compliment whatever I pick up. Anyone found such deals? :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts