DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some other users have this type of setup, and I'm trying to get it working but I'm having issues.

FYI I can't get good SQ through my factory head unit so I want to send iPhone music via USB to my Audio Control amp, bypassing the HU. And I want to be able to use CarPlay for Waze, music control, calls, etc. My Subaru Forester has wired CarPlay only, so I bought the Ottocast U2 wireless dongle to give me wireless CarPlay, freeing up the iPhone lightning port for USB audio.

I'm using the Apple CCK3 (lightning to USB adapter), USB to Topping D10s, D10s line out to my Audio Control D6.1200 amp.

When it's connected up, from my iPhone I can select which audio out I want to play music on - either CarPlay or D10s. So I select D10s. But anytime I use Carplay to do something like advance to the next song, change album, or call up Waze, the iPhone audio always changes to the CarPlay audio out. Then I'll have to re-select the D10s on the iPhone audio out. That's a real problem that the D10s won't stay selected. Anyone else have this problem? The only thing I can think of, maybe it's because my HU doesn't have wireless CarPlay built in, and the Ottocast dongle is always taking priority?

The other question I have is about controlling volume of the music. Can CarPlay control iPhone volume when audio is being sent out USB to the D10s? For me, when I change volume from my steering wheel it changes the head unit volume. So this isn't CarPlay, it's just steering wheel control. Is there CarPlay for volume?

thanks in advance!

· Registered
1,157 Posts
Aftermarket CarPlay has tons of issues - at least from what I’ve read over at clublexus. Idk about Subaru but there is ways to get the steering wheel to work, but as far as the d10s and switching the sound back, I think you’re probably stuck because there’s no way to separate the audio from the onscreen map unless you have the manufacturer of your CarPlay device make a firmware update for it. Devices like Grom already have huge lists of bug fix requests that they’ll never be able to get done.

And this is why I can’t get one - you’ve got to really want CarPlay to deal with the trivial nuisances that comes with it. Have you tried Subaru forums? That’s gonna be your best bet I think.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aftermarket CarPlay has tons of issues - at least from what I’ve read over at clublexus. Idk about Subaru but there is ways to get the steering wheel to work, but as far as the d10s and switching the sound back, I think you’re probably stuck because there’s no way to separate the audio from the onscreen map unless you have the manufacturer of your CarPlay device make a firmware update for it. Devices like Grom already have huge lists of bug fix requests that they’ll never be able to get done.

And this is why I can’t get one - you’ve got to really want CarPlay to deal with the trivial nuisances that comes with it. Have you tried Subaru forums? That’s gonna be your best bet I think.
Thanks for the reply Granite. So it seems my issue is the aftermarket dongle.

Anyone here have this type of setup working successfully? I'm interested to see how it works for you.

Reactions: Granite

· Registered
6,839 Posts
This is why I skip the whole idea of OEM integration of sound quality, because there is non With OEM radios.

I know every car is different and others don't want to deal with additional device on the go.
However i have been having after market radios for ages, car PC's, and tablets.

I have now a tablet in the car for quiet some time.
Samsung Galaxy 7 5gplus, 12.4" screen, in to a dac, > Minidsp> amps
This combo works for me very well and have zero issues. LTE on the go, gps, internet all in one unit. Is it something to get used too? For sure but Android has many different car play applications that work really well at your finger tips.

I have tried that with iPad, but biggest issue is, iPad has no application to integrate any kind of 3rd party app to run the main screen as Android.

Oh well Android for the win.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

· Registered
121 Posts
Can we use Portable music player like Fiio or Ibasso, coax direct to helix dsp
Use bluetooth connect Music player to OE HU
would we be able to select songs on HU while enjoy music quality from Coax connection?

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

this is exactly what i'd like to do. Enjoy SQ from external DAC to amp while still be able to control tracks from HU.

have u try connet iphone to HU via bluetooth instead of carplay?
If you connect iPhone with bluetooth only (no CarPlay) you get low quality audio only. No control of iPhone music, and no iPhone apps like Waze.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know some people have used wireless carplay with a topping to process the audio, but no the volume will only control the headunits dac output and not an external device in this case the iphone
OK thank you for that!

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is why I skip the whole idea of OEM integration of sound quality, because there is non With OEM radios.

I know every car is different and others don't want to deal with additional device on the go.
However i have been having after market radios for ages, car PC's, and tablets.

I have now a tablet in the car for quiet some time.
Samsung Galaxy 7 5gplus, 12.4" screen, in to a dac, > Minidsp> amps
This combo works for me very well and have zero issues. LTE on the go, gps, internet all in one unit. Is it something to get used too? For sure but Android has many different car play applications that work really well at your finger tips.

I have tried that with iPad, but biggest issue is, iPad has no application to integrate any kind of 3rd party app to run the main screen as Android.

Oh well Android for the win.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Very cool!!

· Registered
121 Posts

8:07 he said preset 2, he connect phone to Dsp via bluetooth for sound quality transfer at 24bit/48hz while at the same time connect via bluetooth to HU unit to see song title, name, etc... and he can select/ next song on HU.

anyone can explain it? How can he connect 2 bluetooth same time? Possible?

· Registered
1,994 Posts

8:07 he said preset 2, he connect phone to Dsp via bluetooth for sound quality transfer at 24bit/48hz while at the same time connect via bluetooth to HU unit to see song title, name, etc... and he can select/ next song on HU.

anyone can explain it? How can he connect 2 bluetooth same time? Possible?
I don’t know about the equipment used above, however I can connect my iPhone to wireless CarPlay on my Kenwood, while haveing it connected via CCK to my Toppling D-10. So the headunit controls functions like song selection, skip, etc. while the digital output is routed through the D-10 to my Helix.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don’t know about the equipment used above, however I can connect my iPhone to wireless CarPlay on my Kenwood, while haveing it connected via CCK to my Toppling D-10. So the headunit controls functions like song selection, skip, etc. while the digital output is routed through the D-10 to my Helix.
Thanks that's good to know it is working for you. My problem must be due to the aftemarket wireless CarPlay, like @Granite said.

· Registered
59 Posts
As good as using a tablet is such as an iPad/Android they’re not designed for car use.

No one’s actually made app like the CarPlay interface for a tablet which is perfect. I use an iPad Mini which goes straight into the Topping D10 to the DSP, however it’s not that easy to use when driving as many buttons within apps are really small to press even if using extra large fonts. I’ve got it to as best as I can.

I guess it’s what’s more important to you, the interface or sound quality. For me it’s always sound quality 1st.

· Registered
59 Posts
This sounds very interesting to me. Can you switch between Apps such as music, spotify, navigation etc without the sound being switched back to the headunit again? As I have a wireless CarPlay headunit setup in my other car and when I try the sameway, iPhone into CCK3 into Topping D10 to Dac, it works for the song, however sound switches back to the CarPlay headunit soon as skip track or try play sounds through another app

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As I have a wireless CarPlay headunit setup in my other car and when I try the sameway, iPhone into CCK3 into Topping D10 to Dac, it works for the song, however sound switches back to the CarPlay headunit soon as skip track or try play sounds through another app
Precisely what I'm experiencing. Is your wireless CarPlay built in to your headunit (OEM) or do you have it aftermarket wireless?

· Registered
59 Posts
Precisely what I'm experiencing. Is your wireless CarPlay built in to your headunit (OEM) or do you have it aftermarket wireless?
No mines just an aftermarket BMW CarPlay screen for the F30 3 series As shown here.

It has built in wireless carplay, which then routes the sound to the factory headunit. Which is something I want to avoid, however it looks like we’re having the same issue when trying to use CCK3 to DSP instead.

· Registered
59 Posts
sound like the wireless carplay and topping to dsp is not very consistent option.

Can we use DAP bluetooth to HU for control and at the same time coax to dsp for SQ?
It does the same no matter what USB Audio device you use on the CCK3 and wireless CarPlay. I’ve tried on a DragonFly stick and other similar I had laying around and same thing

Reactions: kB86
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.